Building our dream house

Visualizer

Re: Building our dream house

Post by Visualizer »

RashmiL wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 9:33 am
Cook top vs Hob in kitchen.
Go ahead with hob as long as it is good quality won't trouble you at all.
Faber is oldest and market leader. We have faber 4 burner steel hob in our kitchen for 15+ years perfectly working fine. The area around burners is completely sealed and spilled milk or any other material remains on the top which just needs to be wiped off like any other place on platform.
The only maintenance you will ever need in 5-6 years is auto-lighting element /stone replacement that costs around 300rs that too for your most used burner. This is actually not a show stopper as you can use a gas lighter or matchstick.
Hob in pur kitchen was opened just once last year that too on insitance on service guy and after opening we found there was no need. Faber service guy comes home just like aquaguard service.

And yes 4 burners are better than 3 as you have more choice of burner size as per need.

Also baffle filter in chimney is best for Indian cooking you just need to dip them in hot water + pril diswasher liquid once a month and clean with brush like any utencil.
If you have dishwasher it is even easier.
Avoid mesh filter in chimney as oil vapors accumulate in mesh and fall back on condensation. To solve this chimnies now come with oil collector etc but they are not needed if there is a baffle filter.
One thing about chimney don't go for very high suction motor as bigger the motor higher will be the noise and you will tend to not switch it on while cooking.

For homes 750 to 1000 cubic meter per.hour is sufficient.

Hindware and prestege chimneys and hobs are also good. I have put a prestige hob and chimney in my another rental flat and working fine for 5-6 years.

Stay away from Chinese brands often being sold at premium prices under European sounding brand names like Elicia, Gilma, Kaff etc. too many problems.
Last edited by Visualizer on June 25th, 2021, 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Thanks for suggestion. For ladies who spend their life time in kitchen , these are the best suggestions.
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Today we had gone to buy wood for door frames. We had a total of 3 main doors, 2 puja doors, 5 balcony & utility doors, 6 room doors and 8 toilet doors. In total 24 vaskal frames of varying length. Except 1 teak wood door and 1 puja door rest all were Australian honne.

We had gone to 3 different saw mills. We got 3 different quotations of 2.12 lakhs, 1.87 lakhs and 1.75 lakhs.

So we finally settled at saw mill who quoted 1.75 lakhs. Honne quality is pretty much standard through out all saw mills and we got it a price of 2200 Rs per cubic feet.

For teak wood we went with Burma border grade 1 teak at 4k per cubic feet . We did not wanted teak wood at all, but finally had to settle for teak wood only for peer pressure(every passer talked about teak as if it is gold). Finally we gave up. Also we went with 8 feet frame with 8x4 inch width. As it was not standard length, we will receive it when log is cut presumably tomorrow.

However 3 things happened,

1) We had done our research and gone to several saw mill even before we called our carpenter.And we first went to the saw mill where carpenter suggested. As quoted above the price difference between that mill and one we brought was whopping 37k. 37k difference for just 1.75 lakh material, a huge margin of more than 20%. So I would urge all not to blindly trust anyone in construction industry no matter who referred them. Do your due diligence. Btw this carpenter was at least honest with wood requirements. As I have said earlier the other carpenter whom we had called before finalizing had quoted a requirement of more than 12 cubic feet.so know how to measure wood yourself.

Here is the formula

Length x breadth x width (all in inches ) / 1728.

2) Australian Honne is one wood which is easily available and quality is pretty much consistent throughout all mills. Rates are pretty much standard.currently it is available between 2200-2250 Rs per cubic feet. Do not buy anything above it. Quality unless goofed up due to storage areas is consistent throughout. This is one wood which will give you peace of mind while buying. Only point which needs to be checked is if lengthy wood pieces of 7ft and above should not have bends. If taken care nothing to worry.

3) The merchants can reduce prices by reducing GST.Remeber GST is not added on the retail price. GST is mandatory, but at what cost price is flexible. Ask discount in that. They will give. Finally last word, even before you hit saw mills, take time to research market . Today we saved 37k just for one day market research.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Ha ha yes construction is like that to cut hassel
I purchased readymade from factory I referred earlier.
got 10 red sal frames out of them 2 are 8 feet 5 inch with ventilators at top and one 1 teak frame 6 inch x 4 inch frame size width 7feet x 54 inch and one WPC frame.
All for 70K the teak in frame is Ghana teak door will be burma border.
Wood is straight and I have painted the back side with Japan black mixed with Imildachloroprid to prevent from termites.

PS: red sal is cheaper then Australian Honne so don't compare 😉
saran88

Post by saran88 »

Hi Rashmi

Thanks for sharing your experience. I like to share my wood frame purchase story which happened 25 days back during Full lockdown time.

Knowledge Issue: I'm totally zero. Only decision is to go with Vengai / Honne wood (Merbau Wood) for full house.

Labor Issues: My carpenter got stuck in chennai and couldn't travel. My Engineer told Frames are required to proceed to next stage. Masons are staying in site and I have to take care of them whether work is there or not.

Market Survey: Engineer and myself went to Mysore road by 7am. All Mills are closed. :? I could able to speak with two mill owners whose house are inside their mill, they told their association has taken decision to close all mills till lockdown relaxation announced. I returned with empty hand and started contacting all top reviewed mills in google map and referred by our fellow Forum members. I could able to find two mills (which was referred by Visualizer and Ganapthi. Thanku both) who are ready to supply as a readymade frame. Based on the cu.ft rate, I selected one.

Following are the price details
1. Wood Cu.ft rate: 6*4 size is 2450, 5*3 is 2350.
2. Planning ~150 per cft
3. Thattu (Shutter) ~150 per cft
4. Gaadi : Rs.7.5 per running ft
5. Carpenter Labour. Door 30 per sqft, Window 45 per sqft. Ventilator 500 per piece
6. GST 18% for 1850 cft rate
7. WPC Frames 3*2 size is 127 per running ft

I think I paid higher than you. Inaddition to Bare wood cft rate, they're playing with Planning, thattu and other charges to increase their margin.

Few more pointers
1. Collect all pieces from mill which has come during Thattu cutting. It'll be helpful as a beading.
2. As Visualizer said, Apply Japan black / Bituminous paint in all sides of frame where it touches brick. It stops the absorption of moisture from masonry wall.
3. Apply Anti-termite solution
4. Decide Polish or Paint finish for frame and shutters and accordingly apply Sealant or Primer as soon as possible. Else Moisture in air will be observed by Wood and crack will form in future. Inaddition It prevents main problem in honne wood which is discoloring and spoiling the flooring. (As told by people in this field)
5. If you want to polish, decide what kind of polish like Lacquer / Melamine / PU. I'm also reading about it. I request you to share your knowledge on the same.
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Saran88, they just took advantage of lock down situation. That's why we waited for lockdown to finish. Actually I didn't understand why engineer persisted with work installing frames. We are in first floor, but we will not fix frames till all slabs are done. It definitely was not mandatory, anyways that's individual beliefs.

Btw thanks for those points especially the beading part. Btw I had totally forgotten about anti termite solution. Will do that without fail. Thanks for reminding me.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Rashmi i think I commented this earlie as well don't fix frames before plastering and putty.

Since you have purchased wood keep it safe till
That point apply one layer of antitermite mixed with kerosene/diesel on all surfaces and keep in shaded dry place.
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

saran88 wrote:
June 25th, 2021, 12:13 am
Hi Rashmi

Thanks for sharing your experience. I like to share my wood frame purchase story which happened 25 days back during Full lockdown time.

Following are the price details
1. Wood Cu.ft rate: 6*4 size is 2450, 5*3 is 2350.
2. Planning ~150 per cft
3. Thattu (Shutter) ~150 per cft
4. Gaadi : Rs.7.5 per running ft
5. Carpenter Labour. Door 30 per sqft, Window 45 per sqft. Ventilator 500 per piece
6. GST 18% for 1850 cft rate
7. WPC Frames 3*2 size is 127 per running ft

I think I paid higher than you. Inaddition to Bare wood cft rate, they're playing with Planning, thattu and other charges to increase their margin.

Fewrequest you to share your knowledge on the same.
I will give detailed breakup today. We had brought 48.5 cft honne and 9 cft Burma border teak. As teak size was different they will cutting log today. We only paid 50k and will pay rest tomorrow. Will also get detailed break up bill.
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Visualizer wrote:
June 25th, 2021, 8:15 am
Rashmi i think I commented this earlie as well don't fix frames before plastering and putty.

Since you have purchased wood keep it safe till
That point apply one layer of antitermite mixed with kerosene/diesel on all surfaces and keep in shaded dry place.
Sure sir. Will do that.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

One more point if you have purchased logs why are you cutting it now if you have to fix frames later ? Uncut logs can be stored better

Return to “Civil Construction”