Plumbing Advice needed

milangadakari

Plumbing Advice needed

Post by milangadakari »

Hi Guys,

I am having an issue with the plumbing at 2nd floor Bathroom. Attached is the second floor bathroom layout.

The road facing bathroom is the attached bathroom, the Wash basin and EWC is resting on the external wall.

The external wall is completely attached to the neighbor's wall with zero setback. In this case how do I run the Bathroom ECW line? The plan is to run down the line from the front but how do I take it from the point to the front as I cannot take the line outside the wall considering its attached to the neighbors wall. Also, I cannot drill it down to take it within the floor, in this case the toilet line might be visible in the bottom floor ceiling.

Toilet position cannot be moved due to Vastu.

Any suggestions/solutions are welcome.

Regards,
Milan
Attachments
SECOND FLOOR PLAN [ 04-12-2017 ]-Model.pdf
Floor Plan
(13.51 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Visualizer

Re: Plumbing Advice needed

Post by Visualizer »

You need to make a ledge wall ( 6 inches wide 36 or 48 inch high ) running along the wall on which EWC rests the plumbing lines will run inside this ledge and exit towards the road. At the top of ledge you can place black granite.
You might have seen this in office toilets or toilets with concealed flush cistern.

Alternative arrangement is if the space on ground floor below this toilet is another toilet or some storage space you can leave the holes in floor
the plumbing lines can run inside the ceiling of ground floor space and the ceiling of below floor toilet will be Gypsum false ceiling resting on aluminum grid. This is how bathrooms in most apartments are constructed , This is actually a very good arrangement from maintenance point of view as only false ceiling board needs to be removed to access the lines for any maintenance.
milangadakari

Post by milangadakari »

Visualizer wrote:You need to make a ledge wall ( 6 inches wide 36 or 48 inch high ) running along the wall on which EWC rests the plumbing lines will run inside this ledge and exit towards the road. At the top of ledge you can place black granite.
You might have seen this in office toilets or toilets with concealed flush cistern.

Alternative arrangement is if the space on ground floor below this toilet is another toilet or some storage space you can leave the holes in floor
the plumbing lines can run inside the ceiling of ground floor space and the ceiling of below floor toilet will be Gypsum false ceiling resting on aluminum grid. This is how bathrooms in most apartments are constructed , This is actually a very good arrangement from maintenance point of view as only false ceiling board needs to be removed to access the lines for any maintenance.
How about raising the floor by 6 inches. Will that help?
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Bad idea leaks will be difficult to detect and fix.
You will need to break floor for diagnosis. Believe me or not leaks do occur as maids use acids etc to clean and joint cements give way. Also remember if you are fixing floor tiles it is highly unlikely that you will get same shade of tiles 4-5 years down the line no company maintains same design line. I have bad experience in colour shade mismatch due to same reason thoughtiles fixed were blue Johnson PEI 5 which are very common but shade differs.

Best solution is to run pipes under the floor and have gypsum board false ceiling in area below so good to have bathroom or storage under bathroom.
Big builders use this technique for a reason.

Ledge wall is next best solution as breaking ledge wall and repairing is lot cheaper and less destructive.
milangadakari

Post by milangadakari »

Visualizer wrote:

Bad idea leaks will be difficult to detect and fix.
You will need to break floor for diagnosis. Believe me or not leaks do occur as maids use acids etc to clean and joint cements give way. Also remember if you are fixing floor tiles it is highly unlikely that you will get same shade of tiles 4-5 years down the line no company maintains same design line. I have bad experience in colour shade mismatch due to same reason thoughtiles fixed were blue Johnson PEI 5 which are very common but shade differs.

Best solution is to run pipes under the floor and have gypsum board false ceiling in area below so good to have bathroom or storage under bathroom.
Big builders use this technique for a reason.

Ledge wall is next best solution as breaking ledge wall and repairing is lot cheaper and less destructive.
Thank you once again for helping me with clarity. However, would you be able to confirm if ledge wall can be created for floor mounted ewc?

Alternatively, Could you please confirm what would be the wall width required to install a wall mounted ewc. Is 9in wall enough? Also, do we need a ledge even if the wall is 9 inch?
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

Visualizer wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 12:32 pm
Hi Visualizer,
I am going with this approach for two of my toilets on first floor.
However one of the toilets on the first floor has large part of it on top of living room. We have space of arpound 6" which is above the garage. And I am ok to run the waste water pipe down through the slab to the garage.

Wondering if 6" is good enough to run a waste water pipe down through the slab to the room on the lower floor?
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Send the drawing , how much is width of this 6 inch area.

you will need 2 waste pipes with traps one for bathroom floor trap and other pipe for WC.
Though pipe will be 4 inch you need margin around it for tiling , water proofing and placing core cutting machine before laying pipes

so if possible increase 6 inch to 1 feet may be you can decrease the wall thickness to 4 inch if it is 8 inch and bring to 10 inch atleast.

Also don't leave hole at time of casting because plumber will anyway do core cutting of slab as per routing finally.

If possible at the time of laying slab push them to slope the concrete towards designated area. Though they will say it will be done in flooring etc but if concrete is layed properly iy will save material and thickness of floor.
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

I got 6" across 9' length.
So I can have two waste pipes side-by-side.
does it look feasible?
waste_pipe_options.png
waste_pipe_options.png (144.5 KiB) Viewed 4346 times

Return to “Civil Construction”