Visit by BBMP work inspector

tendlu

Visit by BBMP work inspector

Post by tendlu »

anyone has experience with a BBMP work inspector visiting a site under construction? Is this a regular thing?
blrsiteseeker

Re: Visit by BBMP work inspector

Post by blrsiteseeker »

yes it is normal practice. They visit regularly with the hopes that you would break some rule and they can ding you a fine for it. My plumbing contractor made an error and dug the road for pipe even before we had the permit and they came the very next day and asked us to stop work. I showed them the paperwork was in progress and that I would complete it immediately, they still insisted I have it shut down till I got the permit in hand.

They also came another time once when it was close to finishing stages - I guess they were trying to see if I had any violations in plan, I had got my plan approval for exactly what I built, so we were ok on that.

I have heard that in busier areas, they come quite often and collect a bakshish almost on a daily basis, even the police jeeps stop by for that.
tendlu

Post by tendlu »

thanks blrsiteseeker.

any pointers on how to deal with this when there are slight deviations? of course when every house in the area has some violations :-)
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

I couldn't really tell you how to get around that. I stayed without any violations and did not have to deal with them. But they try their best to extract from you, will use any ruse to get it.

Maybe someone else has suggestions, for me there was no reason to violate - since I was for building a smaller house and leaving more space. The architect and my husband had to convince with the larger areas for the house, for which I went upwards. We left 15 feet in front, 8' in the back and the required 3' on the sides. And the staircase is inside the house (we do have one staircase on the outside - from first floor to terrace, but that is set way back). These are the general areas where violations occur. but that is from my limited knowledge only.
lordsn

Post by lordsn »

@blrsiteseeker. Nice to see a law abiding citizen. It is not an excuse to say everyone violates so do I. Together we can make a healthy environment to live by providing proper setbacks. Otherwise when everyone has finished their own construction with enough violation the area would be unlivable and an inviting place for the officials for regular bribe.
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

Yes, it is everyone's responsibility to follow rules and make the city nice. But we all know how to point at the administration when there is a problem, and try to cover up our issues with all these back door ways. When will all the citizens of Bengaluru, and India get more civic sense.

I agree, the set backs are there for a reason. Have you been in the busier areas of Bengaluru, houses touch the street, no front space So if there is any need for road widening or anything, it is next to impossible.

I would have liked to have left more space around the house (hoping I could plant some trees and shrubs), but got convinced by architect and husband to use as much as is legally allowed. We have left just the specified set backs, wish we had left more.
ravi555

Post by ravi555 »

Guys,

My site comes under BDA. Its a 30*40 Corner plot with roads on 2 sides (N & W) and plots on other 2 sides (i.e S & E). Can you please answer the below:
1. What is the set backs for the above corner plot?
2. Should Set back be given on all 4 sides?

Appreciate your help.
ganeshncm

Post by ganeshncm »

I am in exact similar situation, for road cutting. As mine is work in progress , what is a good amount to pay...

blrsiteseeker wrote:yes it is normal practice. They visit regularly with the hopes that you would break some rule and they can ding you a fine for it. My plumbing contractor made an error and dug the road for pipe even before we had the permit and they came the very next day and asked us to stop work. I showed them the paperwork was in progress and that I would complete it immediately, they still insisted I have it shut down till I got the permit in hand.

They also came another time once when it was close to finishing stages - I guess they were trying to see if I had any violations in plan, I had got my plan approval for exactly what I built, so we were ok on that.

I have heard that in busier areas, they come quite often and collect a bakshish almost on a daily basis, even the police jeeps stop by for that.

Return to “Civil Construction”