Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Eco friendly ideas & concepts
SAMPATH S

Re: Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Post by SAMPATH S »

SAMPATH S wrote:
February 14th, 2022, 8:53 pm
This has reference to the pre-production TV shooting held at my residence on 13th September 2021 by the Team of EPIC TV (from Mumbai) featuring me and my Innovative Low-cost, High Efficiency, Do-it-yourself Effective Rainwater Harvesting Filter.

I now understand that a series of episodes named JUGAAD MANIA is to be telecast by EPIC TV Every Monday at 9 pm, beginning this 28th February.

I am given to understand that I would be featured in the first episode itself.

Message from EPIC TV:

We're excited to present you the teaser of 'Jugaad Mania' a new show on Epic Tv channel produced by The Filmsters which will soon be aired on the Epic Tv and Epic On:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8La99c0GH0
https://www.instagram.com/p/CZPKqcBrbce/?utm_medium=share_sheet
The telecast has since been made. Here is the you tube link to my part of the program:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyOxuX_ZloA
Last edited by SAMPATH S on July 31st, 2023, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAMPATH S

Re: Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Post by SAMPATH S »

SAMPATH S wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 11:28 am
SAMPATH S wrote:
February 12th, 2022, 6:32 pm
WORLD WATER DAY is observed on 22nd March every year.

In tune with my efforts to promote rooftop rainwater harvesting for storage and direct use, I propose to conduct a demo of my setup at my residence, along with practical info on making and installation of the DIY Effective RWH Filters.

To enable enthusiasts to attend the session, it is proposed to be held on Sunday the 20th March 2022.

Since there is a limitation on the capacity, those interested may send a private message or email me at sampaths144@gmail.com. On confirmation, the Google location would be sent.

For such of the enthusiasts who require help in cutting the buckets, the same is proposed for Sunday the 27th March 2022. This also needs prior confirmation. For details regarding buckets, etc.; to be brought, the same would be informed on request.

Both the demo session and the help in cutting buckets would be completely FREE.
The visitors will also have an opportunity to see for themselves, high quality rainwater stored in sumps which are several months old, without any kind of treatment / purification, which is still pristine (except for some settled sediment). Also an opportunity to check the TDS of rainwater, Oxidation Reduction Potential (ORP), and if necessary, the pH.

As on date, I have sufficient water available to meet my requirements till April and may be beyond.

They can also see the use of grey water for watering plants. Also can see the Composter being used by me for composting wet waste, dry leaves and garden waste, which forms an excellent manure for the plants / garden. Also an opportunity to understand the making of Citrus Bio-Enzyme, which is an excellent organic non-toxic cleaning agent and know the numerous other household uses, made out of the citrus peels / discarded citrus fruits, and costs much less than Rs.10 per liter to make, which is sold in the market anywhere from Rs.300 to Rs.3,000.

The number of seats are limited and will be on first come first served basis, and the next opportunity may be available only after a year.
Tomorrow, the 10th March will be the last opportunity for anyone interested in joining the demo workshop. Subsequent request may not be entertained.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

SAMPATH S wrote:

In tune with my efforts to promote rooftop rainwater harvesting for storage and direct use, I propose to conduct a demo of my setup at my residence, along with practical info on making and installation of the DIY Effective RWH Filters.

To enable enthusiasts to attend the session, it is proposed to be held on Sunday the 20th March 2022.

Since there is a limitation on the capacity, those interested may send a private message or email me at sampaths144@gmail.com. On confirmation, the Google location would be sent.

For such of the enthusiasts who require help in cutting the buckets, the same is proposed for Sunday the 27th March 2022. This also needs prior confirmation. For details regarding buckets, etc.; to be brought, the same would be informed on request.

Demo session on Effective RWH Filters
Demo session on Effective RWH Filters
C24880397_1_20220320T123002Z.jpg (39.35 KiB) Viewed 23762 times
A CCTV grab of today’s demo session on Effective Rainwater harvesting filters held at my house to mark the observance of World Water Day falling on 22nd March, was well received by participants from across the city.

It was also blessed by the Rain God with some good rains.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

SAMPATH S wrote:

Session in progress
Session in progress
C24880397_1_20220327T113434Z.jpg (48.39 KiB) Viewed 23354 times
CCTV grab of today’s session for cutting slots in buckets for making Effective Rainwater Harvesting Filters. One of the filters is to be used in Tumkur.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Allowing first rain out – For how long?

The first rain separator valve is kept open to drain out the initial rainwater which naturally contains a lot of impurities, especially when it rains during summer or after quite a few days. Many enthusiasts have been facing a problem as to how long this valve is to be kept open – say for 5 minutes or 15 minutes or even more, especially when the rains are not so heavy.

If the valve is closed, it is quite likely that rainwater containing fine dust (less than 75 microns) may enter the sump and since the dust is so fine, it may take a few days for it to get settled at the bottom. For some, who desperately need water during summer, a little bit of dust may not be a big deal, but for others, it may contaminate their existing clear water stored in the sump. Also quite a few may have other sources of water like Cauvery river water supply or borewell water, etc., and they would like to collect only clear rainwater.

At present, there is no way to check on the acceptable quality of rainwater before closing the valve and allowing it to the filters. This needs to be resolved.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Testing the quality of rainwater from time to time:

A simple low cost arrangement to the existing down pipe can be made to collect some sample rainwater and check from time to time if the quality of rain water is acceptable or whether to allow some more rainwater to flow out.

Just above the first rain separator valve, a PVC service saddle (picture below) may be fixed. The saddle corresponding to the existing pipe diameter is to be used. The small outlet may be of ¾ inch or 1 inch according to our requirement.

Service Saddle
Service Saddle
Service Saddle.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 22628 times

This service saddle gets fitted on the existing pipe and on the small outlet; a UPVC ball valve/stop cock can be fixed.

The following video shows how to install the service saddle on the existing down pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NvSlWc1rqg

To test the quality of rainwater at any point of time, just close the first rain separator valve, open the stop cock fixed to the service saddle, collect the water in a container, say a bucket, and confirm the acceptability or otherwise of the rainwater. It is preferable to use a bucket having a white interior so that the water quality can be judged better.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Allowing first rain out and testing the quality for collection:

Here is the picture of the Service Saddle fixed above the first rain separator valve. The Saddle is also fitted with a gate valve for collection of the rainwater sample from time to time to confirm the acceptable quality.

Service saddle with gate valve
Service saddle with gate valve
Service saddle with gate valve fixed above first rain separator valve.jpg (195.64 KiB) Viewed 22264 times

The first rain separator valve is generally kept open. When it is desired to check the rainwater quality, just close this valve and open the gate valve on the service saddle and collect the sample in a container. If the quality is not acceptable, open the first rain separator valve again and allow the dirty water to flow out. Repeat the process as long as desired and when the quality is found to be acceptable, close the first rain separator valve to allow the rainwater to the Effective Rainwater Harvesting Filter System for collection in your storage.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Algae formation in overhead tank

Every house has overhead tank. Majority of them are made of HDPE (plastic). A few are also made of RCC.

Most of those who have seen inside the overhead tanks (especially in summer) would have observed that the sides of the tank have a deposit of algae, which is characterized by its green colour.

What is the likely reason for this and whether this can be minimized, if not completely stopped?

A representative picture of the overhead tank is below:

Representative overhead tank
Representative overhead tank
air vent in water tank.png (74.97 KiB) Viewed 21810 times

Some of the tanks may not have the tank air vent but necessarily have the air vent for outlet pipe. Very few may not also have the overflow pipe marked as 3.

You may notice that the air vent generally has a T fitted on top.

Growth of algae requires moisture and this is accelerated by the presence of light. Since overhead tanks are exposed to harsh sunlight, some light enters through the T openings of the vent pipes and also through the overflow pipe. The powerful sunlight partially gets reflected through these openings and the hot and moist environment aids the growth of algae.

To drastically reduce the chances of sunlight entry, I have slightly modified the vent pipe as below:

Modified vent pipe
Modified vent pipe
Modified vent pipe.jpg (61.84 KiB) Viewed 21810 times

As you can see, to the T is added an elbow on both sides. This makes the outlet face down to the terrace and the chance of entry of sunlight is greatly reduced. This also makes it difficult for the feeble scattered light to enter the moist surface, greatly reducing the chances of algae formation. Please note that still algae might be present, but only in traces. I have confirmed this by making the change at my house.

Algae formation may also be witnessed even in underground sumps which have their lids open to direct sunlight. Also repeated opening of the lid with or without keeping it open for long can accelerate algae formation.

Compared to river water and bore well water, rainwater by itself resists the formation of algae due to its ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential) being positive.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

The Power of Rain:

Even before the monsoon has begun, my entire storage of 50 thousand liters is full.

Yesterday's rain bounty was so high, I believe it would have yielded more than 25 thousand liters.

Harvest the benefit of pure rain water using Effective RWH Filters.

A single rain like the one yesterday can pay your expenses back easily.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Sampath,
Your knowledge sharing about rainwater storage and filtration is amazing. This summer rains gave enough water in most of my projects to be dependent completely on rain water for all their daily needs.
Data from old projects with average family size of 5-6 people and 8k liter rainwater sump brought down the BWSSB water consumption down by half during rainy seasons and summer by 1/4th .

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.instagram.com/ardesarchitects

Return to “Solar and wind power”