Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Eco friendly ideas & concepts
deepakss83

Re: Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Post by deepakss83 »

SAMPATH S wrote:
September 8th, 2021, 1:21 pm
WATER HERO AWARD

I feel immensely proud to convey that I have been selected for the WATER HERO Award by the Ministry of Jal Shakti (Water Resources) of GOVT. OF INDIA. This award is given with the objective of promoting the value of water in general and for supporting country-wide efforts on water conservation and sustainable development of water resources. The results were announced on 23/08/2021 in a notification by the Ministry on MyGov.in portal.

The Award entails a cash prize of Rs.10,000, besides a Certificate. While I was waiting for receipt of the certificate, I understand that the same would be sent in due course, besides the cash prize would be remitted to my bank account by NEFT.

For me the award is in recognition of my developing a Simple and Innovative Low-Cost, High Efficiency, Do-it-yourself EFFECTIVE RAINWATER HARVESTING FILTER SYSTEM and also for my tireless contribution by spreading awareness on direct rainwater harvesting for domestic use for all purposes, including drinking/cooking, among the Community over a period of several years.

It is worth noting that while this is the highest award an individual can contest in the field of water conservation under the Ministry of Jal Shakti (Water Resources), it is open to non-individuals too – including the Central & State Govt., their departmental undertakings like Defence, Railways, Posts, etc., Public Sector Undertakings, Private Sector Undertakings, Companies, NGOs, Research bodies, IITs, IIMs, Engineering Colleges and all Educational Institutions, etc., the only condition is that it is represented through an individual.

I have already received the JALA RUSHI PURASKAR from BWSSB.

With this award, my presence in the field of water conservation at the national level has been strengthened. Your continued encouragement has been a source of strength all through.
Nice to hear that and congratulations for this achievement.
deepakss83

Re: Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Post by deepakss83 »

SAMPATH S wrote:
September 8th, 2021, 1:21 pm
WATER HERO AWARD

I feel immensely proud to convey that I have been selected for the WATER HERO Award by the Ministry of Jal Shakti (Water Resources) of GOVT. OF INDIA. This award is given with the objective of promoting the value of water in general and for supporting country-wide efforts on water conservation and sustainable development of water resources. The results were announced on 23/08/2021 in a notification by the Ministry on MyGov.in portal.

The Award entails a cash prize of Rs.10,000, besides a Certificate. While I was waiting for receipt of the certificate, I understand that the same would be sent in due course, besides the cash prize would be remitted to my bank account by NEFT.

For me the award is in recognition of my developing a Simple and Innovative Low-Cost, High Efficiency, Do-it-yourself EFFECTIVE RAINWATER HARVESTING FILTER SYSTEM and also for my tireless contribution by spreading awareness on direct rainwater harvesting for domestic use for all purposes, including drinking/cooking, among the Community over a period of several years.

It is worth noting that while this is the highest award an individual can contest in the field of water conservation under the Ministry of Jal Shakti (Water Resources), it is open to non-individuals too – including the Central & State Govt., their departmental undertakings like Defence, Railways, Posts, etc., Public Sector Undertakings, Private Sector Undertakings, Companies, NGOs, Research bodies, IITs, IIMs, Engineering Colleges and all Educational Institutions, etc., the only condition is that it is represented through an individual.

I have already received the JALA RUSHI PURASKAR from BWSSB.

With this award, my presence in the field of water conservation at the national level has been strengthened. Your continued encouragement has been a source of strength all through.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Thank you Deepak.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Today, a team from EPIC TV of Mumbai, owned by Mr. Anand Mahindra of Mahindra & Mahindra Group of Companies, conducted pre-production shooting at my house covering Effective Filters and Rainwater Harvesting for storage and direct use, extending over 3 hours, for featuring in their program on Indian Innovators (Jugaad Mania). The episode is likely to be telecast in November / December.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

THE NEW INDIAN EXPRESS 16/09/2021

Over half of daily sewage flowing into Bengaluru lakes
Tens of millions pumped into improving sanitation infrastructure may have literally gone down the drain.

Lake with sewage water
Lake with sewage water
Lake with sewage water.png (512.16 KiB) Viewed 15134 times

BENGALURU: Tens of millions pumped into improving sanitation infrastructure may have literally gone down the drain. In a shocking revelation, a report by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) on management of storm water in Bengaluru Urban district, which was tabled in the Assembly on Wednesday, noted that more than 54 per cent of the 1,440 MLD (million litres per day) of sewage that is generated, is discharged into water bodies and drains in the state capital.
“In the absence of required quality control methodology for drains, the lakes of Bengaluru are extremely polluted due to sustained flow of untreated sewage and industrial effluents, resulting in lakes frothing and catching fire repeatedly through waste floating on its surface,” the report said.
Rampant mixing of sewage with storm water is posing a threat to public health. Sewage lines were drawn inside drains and large quantity of sewage was illegally let into them. Since water in drains is not treated, the untreated sewage from drains are flowing into water bodies, affecting the quality of ground water. This carries substantial risk of spurt in water-borne disease such as dengue, typhoid, cholera and others,” report said.
The CAG report noted that rapid increase in the frequency of flooding in the city over the last few years, leading to destruction of roads, traffic congestion lasting several hours and extensive damage to public property and health, has highlighted the need for a thorough examination of the design, adaptability of infrastructure for the management of storm water and therefore, a performance audit was conducted.

Verify quality of SWDs in B’luru, govt told

“A robust policy governing storm water management does not exist. Both the State Government and the BBMP have failed to consider urban surface runoff as a water resource despite growing scarcity of water in the state,’’ it noted. Despite being aware that the drains were connected to water bodies and the runoff ultimately gets discharged into rivers, which would be used for human consumption, the BBMP had not taken any action to involve the KSPCB in getting of water samples tested at different stretches, it said.
The CAG has recommended to the State Government to conduct an independent verification of the quality of storm water drains in Bengaluru. Also, the BBMP should accord high priority to prevent discharge of sewage into storm water drains and needs to evict all encroachments on storm water drains, it said.
The report also revealed that many of the STPs were constructed without machinery, defeating the purpose. It also said that BBMP has not removed 714 encroachments on drains out of the 2,626 identified encroachments. The audit noted that 16 major encroachments in Bengaluru were not among the 2,626 encroachment. “This questions the reliability of SWD engineers,’’ it stressed.
Critical Observations
• As many as 18 lakes (254 acres) were reported dry in Bengaluru which carries significant risk of these lakes being vulnerable to encroachments
• More than 40% of properties under BWSSB failed to adopt mandatory rain water harvesting structures
• Inspections of drains show that they were filled with debris at many places
• Tenders for 110 SWDs works, costing Rs 38.59 crore, were invited and were executed by engineers who were not responsible for SWD works
• Difference over identification of Rajakaluves between BDA and BBMP, leading to confusion over buffer zone. There is no c0ordination among other stakeholders
• The BBMP has taken up 14 desilting works, costing Rs 17.56 crore, during the monsoon in violation of the Indian Road Congress guidelines which stipulates desilting before the onset of monsoon
• Out of 210 lakes under BBMP, 66 lakes are yet to be developed
• Of the 4,200-4,500 tons of of dry and wet waste generated daily during 2018-19 and 2019- 20, 2,900-3,800 tons lifted, remaining waste is dumped in vacant plots and drains or burnt by BBMP
• There is an indication of BBMP’s dependency on government grants for undertaking its activities

Heavy borrowings

The state government resorted to huge market borrowings of Rs 48,499 crore during 2019-20, resulting in 57% increase in cash balance for the current year at Rs 34,464 crore, compared to Rs 22,004 crore in the previous year, the Finance Audit Report said.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Rampant mixing of sewage with storm water is posing a threat to public health. Sewage lines were drawn inside drains and large quantity of sewage was illegally let into them. Since water in drains is not treated, the untreated sewage from drains are flowing into water bodies, affecting the quality of ground water. This carries substantial risk of spurt in water-borne disease such as dengue, typhoid, cholera and others,” report said.
In addition to the above, primary treated sewage water is used by BWSSB to fill many city lakes. There is very little percolation of ground water in the city due to the concretization and the hard crust formed on earth even where there is exposed soil, which results in poor water percolation.

Thus the percolation of lake water reaches the ground water. Moreover, tankers draw most of the water supply from around the lakes, which is liberally used by apartments and houses.

Compare this with the extreme high purity of rooftop rainwater, with zero pollutants and microplastics.

If you have any queries on the quality of rooftop rainwater stored for reuse, particularly after filtering using the EFFECTIVE RWH FILTERS, would be glad to respond from my experience of the last SEVEN YEARS in exclusive use of the stored rooftop rainwater round the year for all domestic purposes.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

BWSSB tweaks law to make RWH must for 30x40 sites

Assembly adopts Bill in this regard
Rain water harvesting.jpg
Rain water harvesting.jpg (36.49 KiB) Viewed 14997 times

Rainwater harvesting, which was hitherto mandatory for sites with measurement of above 60x40 feet, is set to be made mandatory by law even for 30x40 sites in Bengaluru, as the Karnataka Legislative Assembly on Thursday adopted a Bill in this regard.
The Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage (Amendment) Bill seeks to make rainwater harvesting compulsory for owners of sites with not less than 108 sq m of area. Earlier, only groundwater recharging was mandatory for new constructions on 30x40 sites.
Tabled by Law Minister J.C. Madhuswamy, it seeks to reduce dependency on Cauvery water and groundwater for drinking requirements of Bengaluru city. Among other things, it proposes to reduce urban flooding and pollution of surface and groundwater.
The Bill proposes to manage the summer peak demand of water through groundwater recharging. It aims at providing fresh water source to Bengaluru city through rainwater harvesting in the areas where water quality is poor.
None of the MLAs from parties participated in the debate on the Bill and it was adopted without any discussion.
In its report tabled in the Assembly on Wednesday, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India had lashed out at Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP), BWSSB, and other civic agencies for allowing high run-off of rainwater in urban areas leading to scarcity of water. It had said that about 73% of the city’s water demand can be met out of rain water.
In 2009, the BWSSB made it mandatory for new constructions on any site measuring 30x40 ft to either recharge rainwater or store it in a sump or tank.
On the other hand, the guidelines made it mandatory for all constructions on sites measuring 60x40 ft, including those built prior to 2009, to have rainwater harvesting systems in place.
A.R. Shivakumar, water management advisor and former scientist, Indian Institute of Science, who drafted the 2009 guidelines on rainwater harvesting, said that with the new amendment, it appeared that even constructions on sites measuring 30x40 ft that predate the earlier amendment in 2009 will have to now adopt rainwater harvesting. Welcoming the move, he said it was time the citizens realised the cost of water. “Unless water conservation is made mandatory, people will not realise the importance of water,” he said.

Concurring, S. Vishwanath, groundwater and rainwater harvesting expert, said that earlier, the BWSSB Act mandated citizens to recharge or store 20 litre per sq metre of roof area. This was recently enhanced to 60 litre per sq m of roof area. “It is imperative for more citizens to adopt rainwater harvesting and install these systems in their homes at a rapid pace so as to reduce dependence on water supplied by BWSSB,” he said.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Posting below some of the posts that appeared in another thread but are very much relevant to this thread.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Re: Water Softener
Post by Armchair_general » 01 Oct 2021, 21:29

I have a resin based water softener. It needs a salt refill every 20000 lts. I do have Kaveri water connection, but I use the water softener by default.

Connection from the sump goes to the tank room where the softener is installed, and the softened water goes to water tank and Solar pump.

Advantages:

1. Water tastes really good in my Kent RO. As good as Bisleri.
2. All my taps are shining as good as new.
3. Zero scaling in my bathrooms.
4. No powdery scales on the skin. Post bath, skin is all soft and hairfall has reduced.
5. Clothes in the washing machine are all soft post-drying.

Disadvantages:
Water waste when refilling the salt.
Even a tiny amount of soap generates huge amount of soapy effect. If you were using one mug to wash your hands, softened water needs 5 mugs to get rid of excess soap.
Have to call up the guy to come every month and refill, so that is there.
Bathroom floors will be slippery if the floors are not wiped clean. I book bathroom cleaners, once a month to scrub the floors clean so that they dont become too slippery.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Re: Water Softener
Post by SAMPATH S » 01 Oct 2021, 22:12

Rainwater has all these good qualities, without any expense, treatment whatsoever.

I have been experiencing these qualities by using rainwater exclusively over the last SEVEN years.

To avoid the necessity of using huge amount of water to remove the soap, it is enough if only very little soap is used.

There is no necessity to use any RO purifier with rainwater as the entire rainwater is of better than RO quality water.

In fact RO water is mildly acidic and hence tastes sweet. It is better that the water is alkalized for drinking purposes (which then will have a mild bitter taste), as it will neutralize the body acidity for which we now spend huge amount of money for buying anti oxidant foods.

As far as I know, acidity is the root cause of all diseases, including cancer.

Return to “Solar and wind power”