Security Systems for the Independent Houses

MNRS

Security Systems for the Independent Houses

Post by MNRS »

Hi All

Can you suggest some good vendors/ integrators for the SEcurity Systems for the independent houess ?

I come across the Euroka Forbes/Eurovigil but want to look for more options. Basically I am looking for the Intrusion detection, Video Door Phone and CCTV systems.

Thanks
parkom

Re: Security Systems for the Independent Houses

Post by parkom »

Mnrs, how do u intend to detect intrusion ? Are u contemplating perimeter protection or glass break for windows/ doors?

There are various system houses (some of them international) selling various brands of solutions under one roof - one them is ADI India; google them up and look at their site, they have many brands. Do share your experience with us on the forum.
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on....
MNRS

Post by MNRS »

Thnx Parkom for your response. So far I have got some details regd the Intrusion detection system, door breaks etc from the vendor. I heard there are some devices from both Honeywell & Bosch. Honeywell is marketing Vista P systems for this purpose.

Also, from Fermax there are some Video Door Phones, monitors etc.
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

I am also actively investigation security systems for Independent house. Eureka Forbes have excellant pre-sales team and have met with one of them and discussed my options. I spoke to ADT and Godrej as well. I called ADT twice and they promised a call back the same day. It has been 2 weeks and no call yet from their sales person. Godrej is sending someone to meet me. Looking forward to getting more information from vendors before I decide.

Meanwhile here is some information posted by a member kspv on old BDAsites forum. I happened to save it as I found it useful. The information is old (2005), so the prices may be outdated.

Sent: 12/6/2005 11:06 PM

Postings at 15, 19 & 22 were enquiring about home security systems. I was doing my own survey on these from the point of view of installing them at my new home. I am posting herein the information I gathered. Hope this would be useful to the other forum members.

1.) A home-security system typically consists of a hidden control-panel (in the cup-board or basement) which is the brain & heart of the system, a key-pad near the main-door which has various keys to access the control-panel (and also different kinds of panic buttons for you to press in case you decide to send a distress signal), different kinds of sensors installed at critical points such as motion sensors, glass break-in sensors, vibration sensors, fire & smoke sensors etc., internal as well as external hooters or speakers to give out the various alarms to you and your neighbours, and a door-phone with or without a CCTV camera and monitor for pre-entry surveillance. All these are connected either through wires, or through 2.4 GHz wi-fi. The cost of the system varies depending upon the number of cameras and sensors you need for your house (which is again based on your threat perception), brand name (rugged equipment being sold at a premium), and the degree of response to the critical situations you want. For example, a stand alone door/ window sensor comes for Rs.90/-, and a CCTV camera comes for Rs.1,200/- on Ebay India, but their reliability in critical situations is a suspect. Similarly, if you want a dedicated rapid action team to attend your distress call, the service comes at a premium.

2.) The acess to the control panel is through a security code known only to you. Like a car-alarm, the control-panel has arm / disarm modes. Most control panels send automated messages to a control-centre run by the company, or to the police & fire stations, in the even of sensing a distress from the sensors, through your telephone line. So see to it that your telephone line can not be cut by dacoits and burglars before they attack your house (take a TATA or Reliance WILL phone connection). When the distress message is transmitted to a control-centre, hopefully they do the job of informing the police. Like I mentioned above, some companies also have their own rapid-action teams.

3.) Thus, the sequence of alerting is, first you through an internal hooter, your neighbours through an external hooter, the police / fire station through automated messaging, and finally the rapid action team. One of these is expected to help you out during the distress.

4.) Some high-end home-security equipment is pet-friendly, i.e., the motion sensor does not get activated if your pet is moving around in your house at night.

5.) A number of companies are into home-security equipment in India. Some of these are, Eureka Forbes, Godrej, Zicom, TATA-Honeywell, Tyco, Johnson Control, Siemens, Nelco, Datamatics etc. Some freelancers (for example a company in Peenya) and private detective agencies (Globe Detective Agency) too deal with the import, sale, and installation of these equipment. I got the best response from Eureka Forbes and Godrej. The former has a fantastic network of customer-response centres in Bangalore, and the latter has a full-fledged office in Kasturba Road. Both have very good websites, and toll-free access numbers. They come home, give a demo, visit the site, assess your requirement, and give you an estimate. Zicom's office is in Indiranagar. They promised a response, but I am yet to get one. The remaining companies are big-names in industrial security, but also offer home-security products. Their websites do not have an interface for the individual home-owners, and perhaps these companies may not also be very interested in such customers. For example, Tyco wants you to contact their Chennai office for further enquiries on their home-security products. Johnson Control takes you to their Canadian website, etc. Incidentally, TATA talks about entering the home-security market in a big way in the coming years.

6.) Godrej has a control-panel called Eagle (Rs.7,000/-), and supplies sensors and CCTV cameras as per your requirement. The concerned person who specializes in their corporate headquarter in these equipment is Mr.Purushottam. His cell number is 9844041777. I think he is a Malayali.

7.) Eureka Forbes has a beautiful door phone with CCTV called I-See (Rs.9,500/-), and a control-panel called Secure-T-Link (Rs.10,500/-) which comes with a set of basic sensors. Extra sensors would cost you extra. The contact person in their Koramangala office who specializes in these products is Miss. Shyamala. Her number is 25530752.

Others may please give their inputs, particularly about Zicom products. Johnson Control's website consists of several testimonies on the efficacy of their equipment, but I have not seen such testimonies on Eureka Forbes & Godrej equipment.

Found another, Alba Control Systems. Its web address is http://www.albasystems.com. Products seem impressive.
Collecting more info. Tyco systems in India are sold by ADT-India. Their Bangalore number is 55979600, and website is http://www.adtindia.com. I found out that all the equipment Eureka Forbes sells is made by Bosch, but for the door-video-phone which is Korean.
Manufacturer's website for LIFE S.O.S:

http://210.68.28.137/WebApps/showproduc ... html?id=23

Getting back to home security systems, I finally opted for a wireless LIFE S.O.S system from Alba Security Systems. I felt that their quote and equipment were the best in wireless security systems. The system with a control-panel with built in dialer, internal hooter, external hooter, two motion sensors, two glass break sensors, and four door magnetic sensors came for 30 K. Here is an Australian site that shows & describes the system I purchased.

http://www.securepro.com.au/index.php?f ... ange=LS-90

It is basically a Chinese make, widely used and credited in Taiwan, Japan, middle-east, south-east Asia and Australia. Though it can be monitored by a central monitoring station (can dial upto 8 different numbers with 8 different kinds of pre-recordable alarm messages in the language of your choice, one of which can be to your monitoring station), it is basically to be used as an unmonitored system. My reason for opting for a wireless system is that I did not have foresight during the construction of the house to provide for conduits for the wiring of home security sytem. It came only as an afterthought. On the other hand, my neighbour (Bokn123) who made better planning during the construction, opted for a well known, centrally monitored, wired system that costs much less.

The advantages I can see in an unmonitored wireless system:

1.) There are no wires to cut for Burglars.

2.) No recurring costs (monthly / yearly) for the monitoring service. There is only a one time installation cost. Basically the equipment uses the local police station itself as the monitoring station. We have to intimate the police in advance through a signed letter, as to what kind of distress message they are likely to hear in case of an emergency. I feel using Kannda for sending a distress message would make the message more legible for the local police. Therefore I am getting somebody to speak in Kannada for me into the dialer's message recorder.

3.) Vermin (rats & mice) can not chew away the connection wires causing the system to malfunction.

4.) Any more sensors you feel necessary and buy at a latter date, can be easily logged on to the system through a code, without the need for additional wiring.

The disadvantages with a wireless system I can see are:

1.) Need to change the batteries in the sensors once in 3-6 months. The control panel will tell you in advance when to change the batteries.

2.)You can not keep the control panel completely hidden in a cupboard, as the wireless RF signals may get interrupted that way. Nevertheless, you can keep the equipment in a reasonably "out of sight" area.

3.) You may have to be carefull about giving out false alarms to the police station, or else they may take the hell out of you (I hear that in the U.S., the police started imposing heavy penalties for false alarms from home security systems, as these have become a menace).

There was an article in Hindu on the same topic long time ago.
http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/pp/200 ... 030100.htm
parkom

Post by parkom »

Tvsh, excellent article, thanks for reproducing it for the benefit of all. Don't be bothered about the prices being outdated, in electronics technology, tech goes up and prices drop down with each passing year.
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on....
MNRS

Post by MNRS »

TVSH

Thanks for sharing the article. It is good.

Eurekaforbes is basically system integrator and seller for several other brands like Honeywell, Xper (Camers), Fermax (Video Door phones) etc. Its pre-sales is excellent but we need to more bother about the post-payment :)
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

Reviving an old thread since it has very informative posts.

Wondering if anyone has looked into installing security system in recent times.
not lot of information on eureka forbes website. Godrej lists various devices but does not talk about a packages system.

Return to “Interiors”