Electric Geyser

DenQuest

Electric Geyser

Post by DenQuest »

Hi all,

I am planning to buy an electric water geyser for my apartment and would like to know about the best brands/options available.

My plans are for a 25 L geyser . Would like to know if the 25 L capacity specified is good enough for a small family or not.

Most of the people suggested me Racold , but little googling has given me the idea that Racold quality is not what it used to be !

Please provide thoughts/suggestions on this.

~DenQuest
msn1270

Re: Electric Geyser

Post by msn1270 »

Always prefer the branded and the 5 star rated energy efficient Geysers. 25 lts is good enough capacity for a family of upto 4 members. for more info on how to select and the comparison of different makes, please visit the below link

http://waterheater.weebly.com
DenQuest

Post by DenQuest »

msn1270.. That is a great piece of information.

Thank You.

~DenQuest
Last edited by DenQuest on August 31st, 2010, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murthyveda

Post by murthyveda »

nowadays you get instant geysers. They are better than the older ones. In that, it takes less time to heat and since it is (almost) instant, there is as such no limit on capacity.

other advantages:
+ requires less electricity
+ small in size
+ easy to install
+ lot cheaper than conventional ones

I have installed this for one year or so and so far no complaints.

But go for Solar heater (if you own a house) and use instant electric geyser as backup. Please don't get into those math of comparing the installation cost and savings, etc., It is good for environment. I heard it is mandatory now when you apply for a meter (new house or renovation, etc.).

Regards
--Thyagaraj.
DenQuest

Post by DenQuest »

Thyagaraj , Thank you for your suggestion.

Never thought of Instant Heaters as an option , since I was not aware of it till now.

I think your suggestion of instant heaters is worth considering.

Mine is an apartment , hence the solar water heater is not an option for me.

~DenQuest
amohit

Post by amohit »

murthyveda wrote:nowadays you get instant geysers. They are better than the older ones. In that, it takes less time to heat and since it is (almost) instant, there is as such no limit on capacity.

other advantages:
+ requires less electricity
+ small in size
+ easy to install
+ lot cheaper than conventional ones
I would beg to differ on the advantages of instant geysers over regular ones. I have both in my house. Used instant geysers for 4 years and now have switched for regular one.
1: Instant geysers are rated at 3KW. Regular ones range from 2KW to 3KW.
2. Certainly smaller as there is no storage tank.
3. Installation takes almost the same amount of effort. I can vouch for that since I installed both the geysers myself.
4. Certainly not cheaper.

Advantages of instant geysers:
1. You get moderately hot water almost instantly.
2. Much smaller in size. Hence more portable. Recommended only if your bathroom has lower cielings.
3. Cheaper by almost 50% when compared to 15L storage type geyser.

Advantages of Regular storage type geyser.
1. More energy efficient. Superior insulation material used in order to prevent heat loss for longer durations.

We installed a 15lt geyser with temp control 2 months ago. We switch it on at 5.30am. It goes into auto cut by 5.45am. we switch it off after that. My wife takes bath at 6.30am (super hot water).
I take bath at 9am( still get super hot water). Total run each day 15 mins.

Compare it with instant geyser. My wife used to run it for 10 mins to get 2 buckets of hot water. I used to run it for 5-7 mins to get 1.5 buckets of luke warm water. Total usage per day 15 mins. Still the savings equivalent of 1KW.

Also, one big disadvantage of instant geyser is that since, you need hot water you cannot run the tap at full throttle, else you will not get hot water. Hence, you cannot use showers with instant geysers.

Anyway, whichever geyser you decide to purchase, buy the one that has copper tank. Unless you get cauvery water, the water is going to be quite hard. Stainless tank geysers, do come with a magnesium/zinc anode to prevent them from corrosion, but copper tanks are immune to corrosion. AFAIK, most instant geysers come with copper tanks and among regular geysers also, there are models with copper tanks, but stainless tanks are more prevalent as they are relatively cheaper.

Regards,
Mohit
DenQuest

Post by DenQuest »

Thank you , Mohit.
A very detailed user review/experience indeed.

Any brand suggestions??
DenQuest

Post by DenQuest »

Last weekend I went around shops to get a better idea of price and brands for geysers.
Most of them suggested Racold to be the best and one shop suggested V-Guard to be second best.

Knowing only of Remson having a copper container , I enquired about Remson.
One shop said that Remson is not good and another said Remson is not in supply these days.

From what I know , Remson is a good brand and I did see some display pieces of Remson in the shops.

Though Racold is having a Stainless steel container, most are recommending it.

Any thoughts/inputs on Remson and Racold?
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
Racold has wide network and service is good.(using for 6years ,working good with one service) .But it has steel tank,scaling is a problem with it. We had the same problem 2years back.This in not in Bangalore,in my home town.We use krishha river water.

Renson to my market survey a week back along with my client, copper tank makes more sense to me. but service network is very important.

Few suggestions for choosing capacity
In a home of 2 bhk with 2 toilets ,4 people.Never go for 25lits in 2 toilets ,use only 15lit .Though the shop keeper says the price is just 600/- difference .You save a lot in electricity.
You should all ways calculate the capacity required depending up on no.of user per toilet .15 lit can serve 2-3 people in one go(unless some one prefer to have bath with high temp )

Regards
Ar.praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@yahoo.co.in
DenQuest

Post by DenQuest »

Thank You , Praveen. I am planning for two 15 L geysers for my apartment.

http://www.remsonappliances.co.in/index.html
Remson website provides a list of Service Center Contacts for each major City.

Racold seems to be in popular demand and I am yet to get any feedback from Remson Owners.
Anyone aware of the reason for Remsons non availability in Bangalore these days??

Any other good quality geyser with Copper Container?.

Return to “Interiors”