waterproofing for wardrobe back end

rajeshrao

waterproofing for wardrobe back end

Post by rajeshrao »

Hi,

I have a common wall sharing between a bedroom and bathroom. Now a wardrobe is planned on this wall which is common between between the wardrobe and bathroom

carpenter is saying if we use the MR grade 6mm play for the back end of wardrobe , that is enough to avoid dampness which may happen due to bathroom.

I am planning

1) To use BWP ply(6mm) for the back end of wardrobe
or
2) To paint back end of 6mm MR plywood with waterproof paint before sticking it to wall

Which is better ? any suggestions?
ganeshncm

Re: waterproofing for wardrobe back end

Post by ganeshncm »

(2) is better. Scrape wall a bit, add Dr Fixit and plaster it. It will be long lasting
rajeshrao

Post by rajeshrao »

Thanks ganeshncm,

actually my wall is already plastered and 1 coat of painting is also done.

Plan(2) is to paint the back side of the plywood( front side is laminted ) with a enamel paint before sticking it to the wall.
any Dr Fixit/Fosroc material is available for this purpose? any idea?
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Ganesh

No need of any waterproofing for the common wall.

Laminates are synthetic and waterproof sheets.
Use Laminates on both sides of the Ply, which takes care of any dampness/moisture/water seepage.
But, ensure to use proper PVC Edge banding to seal the Ply Panel edges, to avoid entry of any water or moisture to the back panel.
(Generally manual carpenters doesn't do PVC Edge Banding, Instead they use beads).
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Rajesh,
I would suggest make sure if the common wall is wet wall ( wall in which pipe lines are running in toilet) or dry wall .
If its wet wall make sure the carpenter don't drill screws on pipe route.Easy way is to ask plumber to mark water lines on the walls. Using back laminate and Bwp ply will give you more protection from moisture but not from water leaks.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

You can use wood cement composite boards. These are available in brands such as bison board , shera board , century zykron for the box and shelves this is 100% water proof and considered greener option cheaper and made in India.

These boards use cement and flyash to bind wood fiber instead of poisnous urea - formaldehyde which is used in water proof MDF/ ply and are cheaper.
These boards are also available as pre-laminated.

Most contractors use cheaper imported waterproof ply from China which smells bad even after months. I have really bad experience of such smelly play in a flat.
I would say as formaldehyde is carcinogenic this cement fiber composite material should be used even if you dont need waterproof ply. .

Disadvantages:
1. Quite heavy so probably not good for big shutters on hinges but really good for modular kitchens and caracass of wardrobes.
2. Carpenters / Interior designers have traditionalist mindset so they don't want to try new alternatives.
3. can not be nailed need screws or mini-connectors (same as MDF)

Return to “Interiors”