Epoxy flooring for home (covered terrace) ?

sabarishm

Epoxy flooring for home (covered terrace) ?

Post by sabarishm »

Have anyone from the forum used epoxy flooring ? I am intrigued by the finish they offer had have been contemplating on using it at my terrace (covered terrace, concrete ceiling with no walls). Initial plan was to use red oxide (purely for the old house look) but after seeing the epoxy flooring, I thought I could give it a try. But my engineer have not done this before and it will be a first time for him !! Any advices ?

Pebble floor : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htEAXybcZbs
Metallic Multi color : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--HlgR_aqdU
Nivas

Re: Epoxy flooring for home (covered terrace) ?

Post by Nivas »

you will get some limited solid colors , Dark green , blue ,yellow, grey , brick red, white etc .. You can try coating fosroc Nitoflor FC150. which is a thick build epoxy system. Instead of pebbles , you get Anti Slip grains from fosroc. you can create some texture . if you do not embed antislip grains , the floor after epoxy curing will be very slippery. I think epoxy systems ,run close to 1000 per liter or more.

In general Epoxy systems are strictly for indoor surfaces or basement parking lots , they react with UV and turn yellow. if you want a super durable , uv resistant surface , you need to go for polyurethane system. The application is similar to epoxy .it is available in foxroc.
sabarishm

Post by sabarishm »

Thank you Nivas. This seem to be used mostly for industrial area flooring etc. I think I will stick with either red oxide or terracota tiles. Will red oxide fades if exposed to the sun ?
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

good question. depends on when u apply and how u apply .oxide floors are for indoors mainly, since you have a covered terrace , it may endure.
typically iron oxide powder is mixed with cement and finished along with screed as part of last step of floor plastering the same day.
now if your screed is already plastered and cured and u want to apply this as paint another day, it will surely flake up. even in the former step use a suitable bonding agent like sbr.
sabarishm

Post by sabarishm »

Thank you so much Nivas! I decided to use tiles itself for the terrace.
Naresh Patel

Post by Naresh Patel »

Hi Sabarishm!
You certainly made a good choice by choosing tiles. Not only are they sturdy but they are also long lasting. I too have tiled my terrace and have been happy with that decision. I've been using Roff cera clean to keep those tiles just as clean and sparkling as the first day I got them. Just thought I'd tell you since it might help you keep your tiles clean as well!
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
Epoxy flooring is used mainly in high and heavy traffic areas like industries , public area ,services centers , ware houses .
If you are using tiles on the terrace make sure you use epoxy joint filler other wise you end up cleaning only the joints to make it look clean and the major problem will be leaking from joints .Epoxy you get in many colors and you can even make some colors using existing .Brands like MYK LATICRETE , mapei italy , saint gobain ( hopeless since they are only interested in volumes ).

Regards ,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects
http://www.ardesarchitects.com

Return to “Interiors”