Glass Roof Top for Terrace

plotssearch

Glass Roof Top for Terrace

Post by plotssearch »

Hi,

Want to check if anyone has an info or experience setting up a glass roof for their terrace.
I am exploring this option for my terrace and want to know how feasible it is and also about the costs.

Regards
biddappa_c_b

Re: Glass Roof Top for Terrace

Post by biddappa_c_b »

What did you mean by Glass roof? Did you mean Skylight?
plotssearch

Post by plotssearch »

Hello Biddappa_c_b,

Thanks for replying. Not a skylight actually, but more like a pergola .. some pictures are on this link.

http://www.support121.org/3150-/15-inte ... hot-ideas/

Not sure if this is available in bangalore..
ddn

Post by ddn »

Hi,

From what I understand, this is pretty straight forward. Please search for "toughened glass roofing bangalore" in a search engine and you will get a list of suppliers.

Toughened glass is a bit expensive IMHO. We have done something similar at our residence (although not exactly the same) and it worked out a bit expensive. The pricing will depend on the thickness of glass, which in turn depends on the area to be covered.

An alternative that I came across is transparent "compact/solid polycarbonate sheet". I have no experience using this, but have seen samples and it looks just like plain glass. This looks to be a cheaper alternative, if you can tolerate the sound associated with polycarbonate sheets.
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Hi, yes you definitely need to go for toughed glass...laminated glass...
Another good option is acrylic sheets...these are better than polycarbonate sheet as PC sheet makes lot of noise which is very irritating.

In my house I have use regular glass, toughened glass, laminated glass and poly carbonate sheet.

check out the option for Acrylic sheets, it is not brittle like glass, it is transparent like glass and tough also..

cheers
ashok.chava

Post by ashok.chava »

What is the price of 4mm polycarbonate per sqfeet?
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi ashok
For covering on pergola if you are using 4mm solid poly-carbonate make sure there is enough support from bottom other wise it creates lot more problems of bending and water just sits in pockets .
Never use 4mm multi-layered with out UV coat .4mm in multilayered is very thin and get damaged while fixing the bolt it self .Keep the wind load in mind because poly-carbonate very lightweight .
You can look for wire mesh glass that is cheap and very safe even in case it breaks , but aesthetically its not a great option.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
chakra_krish

Post by chakra_krish »

Hi Praveen
Also i am considering 12mm toughned glass for Pergola to cover Balcony, with 1 Inch Angle, is this fine, i am worried it will break, give me some suggestion on this
Glass will be fixed on a 4"x2" 16 guage rectangulare pipe structure with support at 3 feet each

Do you think toughned glass last long, the reason why i am not going for poly carbonate

1. If we use glass , there will be much better light
2. Cleaning is easy and dust will not deposit

Do you suggest anything to be really taken care regarding fixing( our fabricator is using Silicone and some tape, is this OK or do we need to fix this some bolts)

Your suggestion is really appreciated

Regards
Srirkrishna
srikirankumar

Post by srikirankumar »

Hi,
In my house i have used toughned glass for the ceiling of my stair case. It was stuck by some tape as you said on the rectangular pipe structure.(may the size is also same as mentioned)
My house is 6months old and i have not observed any issues till today. But it is short time to decide on. I feel there will not be any problem until there is no sharp load on the glass. Any glass will last long as long as it is maintained well in my opinion.

On the dust part there will be lot of dust deposited on the glass(in my area as lot of buildings under construction). If it not cleaned frequently then the light will be as like poly carbonate sheet only.

Hope you got some inputs

Regards,
Kiran

Return to “Interiors”