Ready Made wardrobe or custom built

mudude12

Ready Made wardrobe or custom built

Post by mudude12 »

Hi,

Can someone please advice me if it is better to go for readymade wardrobes or it is better to get it done by carpenter for a house intended for rental purpose ? Usually a two door wardrobe comes in the range of 10-15k. If it needs to be custom built, we all know the effort that needs to go in buying all the materials and coordinating with the carpenter. Please advice.

regards.
venkatm

Re: Ready Made wardrobe or custom built

Post by venkatm »

It is very difficult to repair any damage to wardrobe doors e.g. laminate chipping. Hence, go with readymade wardrobes for rental houses. You can dispose it off in about 10 years.
Chida_gs

Post by Chida_gs »

Hi,

Readymade Wardrobes are best for Rental Purpose. You will get the better design and good look. It is cost effective also.
Take measurement of the Room for keeping the Wardrobes and provide to the Shop owner they will suggest which one to get.

Custom built will take lot of time and you need to invest your time if Labour Contract & if it is Material Contract you have to compromise on the Quality of Materials.

The Only issues in Ready made Wardrobes are fittings are not of high quality (Handles, Inches, Drawers channels), So it might need the replacement after some years.
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Readymade wardrobes available in the range of 10-15 K price looks aesthetically OK. But doesn't have much life, Especially if the user is a rough handling one. I have seen couple of such makes in all retail malls & furniture shops. If the houses made exclusively for rents, must have a descent wardrobes made of plywoods, Particle Boards definitely not recommended.

They use simplest & cheap rate of hinges/levers/locks which doesn't have any strength or life. They use 8 mm thick particle board(not plywood) whose density is very less. Hence very less strength. Its bit hollow and not even Moisture proof. If you put enough weight like books or heavy weight blankets...etc, in many cases, the whole wardrobe collapses. Once the hinges comes out, you can't fix it back in the same location. And also you can't invest for the same items again & again.

These type of things will also lead to difference of opinions between the owner & tenants, when the owner wants to claim the damages for these items in case
of visible damages, as the tenant say its a use & through item, with no life.
nsbb123

Wardrobe Measurments No of PLY needed

Post by nsbb123 »

Sir

I am getting Material and Paying for Labour.
7 x 7 Sq feet + 2 x 7 Sq feet for loft wardrobe

how many PLY will be needed
am thinking 6 should suffice but these
guys all want 8-9 ply for a simple wardrobe

please advise

likewise laminate inside o.8 and outside 1mm
how many sheets would we need

thanks

srini
nsbb.123@gmail.com
98803 84561
inamur.k

Post by inamur.k »

Advantage of ready made wardrobes is easy to buy and keep it at one place it is hardly 1or 2 days job but people who are looking for rent look at the wood work and decide the rent your rental value may depreciate with ready made wood work and second thing is the life hardly after six months time the doors and hinges come out from the shelves which cannot be replaced and the cheapest material is used in making these ready wardrobes
pgurunayak

Post by pgurunayak »

Hi All,
i am also in a conflict condion ,,to go for ready made or custom built.
If custom built by carpenter it will be aroud 80thousand to 150thousand for 7*7*2 (just an rough estimate for example).If ready made 15-30k and life is 10-15 years, so i am also in need of experts advice on this forum.The wardrobes in question are for rental homes.
Regards,
PPG
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Guru,

As I know, People expect the life time 10-15 years for a custom built one by the carpenter with a descent materials.

But most of the ready made ones uses a thin cardboard or a plastic/fibre kind of sheet for the back side panel with
a small line of openings on the back side, which gives easy entry for worms or cockroaches...etc. Also ready made one
are made of particle boards and a decorative laminate on it, which are easily gets spoiled by moisture & water and its
fittings comes out anytime based on the way of handling it or sometimes the whole structure itself collapses if its
overloaded say by books or some other heavy items

Very curious to know, how did you arrived at the life time of 10-15 years for a ready made one. ??
Last edited by msn1270 on August 21st, 2014, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
inamur.k

Post by inamur.k »

I doubt for a ready made wardrobe the life is 10- 15 years, iam sure it will not be more than 2 to 3 years if it is a own use one if it is for a rental purpose the life of a ready made wardrobe is not more than a year they are all made of particle board or MDF material .My cousin got a ready made wardrobe 2 years back for his wedding 2 months back all the door are kept aside which have come out of hinges and no carpenter can re fix it.
And a he planned to get it custom made from a carpenter for
68 thousand rupees with a good quality ply with laminate inside and outside approximately a size of 7 ft 6" inches By 7 ft
inamur.k

Re: Wardrobe Measurments No of PLY needed

Post by inamur.k »

nsbb123 wrote:Sir

I am getting Material and Paying for Labour.
7 x 7 Sq feet + 2 x 7 Sq feet for loft wardrobe

how many PLY will be needed
am thinking 6 should suffice but these
guys all want 8-9 ply for a simple wardrobe

please advise

likewise laminate inside o.8 and outside 1mm
how many sheets would we need

thanks

srini
nsbb.123@gmail.com
98803 84561

It depends on the number of inside shelves and drawers you require Get 7 sheets of ply of size 7 X 4 ft not 8 X 4 they will end up wasting it

Return to “Interiors”