What plywood to use?

ardesarchitects

Re: What plywood to use?

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi pavan,
I would suggest to go with block board for wardrobe shutters,since the ply can bend for longer lengths(what ever best ply you use)I am not sure about ankur, would recommend to go with known and tested brands like archidply ,euro,architectply etc....

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@yahoo.co.in
Neesh

Post by Neesh »

Hi All,

Continuing an old thread for some urgent advice. I'm considering the following material brands for my interiors. Could someone pls advise if they faced any problems with the below brands or based on your experience pick the best in the list below. I'm considering durability first and then economy[wanting only mid range].

Wardrobes [Commercial 18 mm & 6mm ply for structure & 19 mm board for shutters]
1. BA plywood - @ Rs. 85 sq.ft & Rs.36 sq.ft [Has an impressive thick beechwood face but not sure how to take advantage of it like say polishing it directly instead of laminate]
2. Alpine - @ Rs. 75-78 sq.ft & Rs.39 sq.ft [Suggested local produced along with Raaj plywood]
3. Century Sainik - @75-79 sq.ft & Rs 38[New line from the Century stable]

Kitchen [18 mm & 6mm Marine ply ]
1. Sharon - Gold - Rs.116 sq.ft
2. Greenply - Gold - Rs.112 sq.ft
3. Century Sainik - Rs 98 [IS 303 ?]
4. Alpine - Rs. 112

Interior white laminates - Merino - Rs. 550 w/o bill (600 with bill ???)

Thanks,
Raj
nsrajesh

Post by nsrajesh »

My brother in law is a contractor by himself. I always take his advice on quality of material used and other issues. Recently we wanted to start interiors for recently purchased apartment. Our regular carpenter who has executed many works for my brother in law suggested a plywood which has used in many projects and found it very good. I will share the number and address you can contact them directly. The veneer #12, 9th cross,Pukraj Layout, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore -30 ph: xxxxxxx,xxxxxxxx Fax:xxxxxxxx Contact person: G.SUri M: xxxxxxxx Land Mark near Mico. You can take reference of Sri.Ganeshan staying in lakkasandra near Vijay Sagar Hotel. My brother in law after observing quality said similar quality in century costs abour 160/Sq.Feet where as Suri offered better quality at 110/Sq.Feet.

We wouldn't encourage sharing contacts on public forum .Further You can share your experiences using the ply

Edited by admin
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Rajesh

Better you mention the name of that Ply Brand ?
So that any needy person from the forum can have review
in terms of Quality and Cost factor from other sources also,
Rather than promoting a business house.
mramki_77

Post by mramki_77 »

I think brand of the plywood (assuming it is NOT for kitchen) does not matter if you are going to do laminate inside (generally WHITE) and outside (any choice). Lamination should provide sufficient protection for any kind of plywood. But for kitchen, go for standard brands like Kitply, Green ply or Century ply.

Thanks
Ramakrishna
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi ,
After gaining a experience of additional 5 years from my previous post ,there are certain easy methods to check the ply quality

1. Any ply or board need to be checked with actual cut sample from a full sheet.Never go by the looks of company sample with .
2. Observe the gaps in between the layers , more the gaps less the quality ( Basic gaps will be seen even in best of best ply ) attached image shows the difference in the ply section.
3. MR grade ply will be in pale yellow color and BWP will in mid oilve green color .
4. The cut section of bwp ply will be little dark than MR grade ply
5. Core of a ply will vary based of the type - gurjan wood , pine wood , rubber wood , acacia wood etc..
6. Check for ISI mark for sure and the genuine of the same ,make sure its not ISO it need to be ISI .ISO is for companies not for products .
7. There are many brands available in similar quality of known brands but the consistency is the issue , so u need to keep an eye on the quality of ply from batch to batch .This is possible only with your carpenter support since they are one who cut the sheets and realize any issues in the ply
8. Make sure you get written assurance from vendor for borer free ply since its physically not possible for any one to say its borer resistance .
9. All the ply companies gives free borer treatment with in 2-3 years of purchase of ply even after installation .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
Attachments
ply cross section.jpg
rakshith.bh

Post by rakshith.bh »

Hi Guys :) ,

I read all the replies in this thread about different plys
However, my carpenter is insisting me to go with FIRMWOOD or RAAJ ply for wardrobe interiors and Room doors.
1> How is FIRMWOOD and RAAJ ply ?
2> Are there any other good reputed trust-able ply with same price brackets.

Dated today : Raaj costs 80-85 sqft
Firmwood costs 75-80sqft

If there are vendors who offer me better pricing and as to where i can find shops in Bangalore please do let me know.
I am constructing my house near Nagarbhavi (deepa complex) !

Thanks and Regards
Rakshith BH
rainbow_flat

Post by rainbow_flat »

Hi Rakshith,

I used RAAJ ply for my interior work 4 years back and have not found any issues with the ply so far. Have not heard about FIRMWOOD so cannot comment on it. I used only BWR ply for all the interior work, so not sure about MR ply from RAAJ. During my research found that AK ply, Alpine are also some good plywood brands.
char13

Post by char13 »

wht is good company plywood ,which is termite free to used for kitchen cabinets and wardrobe.

thanks
prashanth
rakshith.bh

Post by rakshith.bh »

rainbow_flat wrote:Hi Rakshith,

I used RAAJ ply for my interior work 4 years back and have not found any issues with the ply so far. Have not heard about FIRMWOOD so cannot comment on it. I used only BWR ply for all the interior work, so not sure about MR ply from RAAJ. During my research found that AK ply, Alpine are also some good plywood brands.
Thanks mate !!! I bought Raaj finally.
Now i am looking for veener brands which are good and wholesalers where i can get at best material for reasonable prices :? .

Return to “Interiors”