Home interior work advice

blorebuddy

Re: Home interior work advice

Post by blorebuddy »

Also if you are doing directly with carpenter, you should have little bit knowledge on the process/design/etc. They assume you know everything and do not tell things upfront. So you will have surprises :)
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

I just got my wardrobes done from a carpenter, yes I agree that you will have to give ideas, have some knowledge, but the outcome you will be satisfied as you will get what you want...you can choose what kind of material etc.
What I did for my wardrobes:
1.We did the design ourselves
2. ruled out all drawers, messy
3. We will get baskets rather than drawers
4. Maximum utilization of space.
5. We know a person whom we can trust with regards to material. So when we need we order, he will get it. IF we have a doubt on the hardware what to buy, he directed us to Ebco sshowroom, we went there, all questions resolved.
6. Carpenter is very good, starts work around 9:30 am and works till 9pm. We told him ETA is 8 pm not beyond. WOW!!!here we have someone whom we have to tell to stop work early :)...hard to find :). They work 7 days a week. We have to tell them please take a day off!!!!
7. We did few experimentation with our wardrobes where we could adjust the shelves etc...

Happy with the outcome and the carpenter. Anyone looking for a reliable carpenter, do let me know, you will not regret!!!!!
sarbda

Post by sarbda »

Pl. share the carpenter details and also what's the cost charged for the labor work.
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Hi, his name is Munna Sharma(carpenter - Interiors) and his contact details are +91 9663349259.
He did interior work for my sisters friends place, now currently in my house and then he will be the one who will be called for my sisters house. Please note everyone,I do not get any commission by referring him. I really struggled to get quality folks while my house construction was going one, so when come across folks who are sincere, dedicated and loyal I do not think twice to refer, only to help others.

but yes, when you plan to go with carpenters, please be ready to bear the dust, sound etc...
Simran

Post by Simran »

Hi,
I just got my interiors done through labour contract through a company. I got the materials delivered to their factory where they do the processes like cutting, pressing the laminate , doing edge binding etc. Then they bring the ready to assemble pieces to my home and assemble the boxes.

My doubt is how to calculate the materials required for the work? I am billed for 680 sqft for which I have supplied the below listed qty of material:

16mm ply - 111 no
18mm block board- 4 no for 2 sliding doors
6mm ply - 24 nos
White laminate for inside - 102
Color laminate for outside - 48

Size of ply and laminate is 8x4 = 32 sqft.

Can Praveen or others pls confirm if the qty of materials is in par with the sqft area of 680 after adding the wastage of 20%??
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Sorry, little confused.. you mentioned labor contract, you delivered the materials and you also said you were billed 680 sqft. Did you mean 680 sqft for labour work or labour + material?

thanks
Simran

Post by Simran »

I had supplied all the materials except edge binding tape. I am billed for 680sqft of labour @ Rs.230/sft and around Rs.55000/- for edge binding tape. I want to make sure that the materials supplied by me is used for only my work (680 sqft).
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Simran, what is the work that you have got done? without that info we will not be able to check if 680sqft is correct. 230/sft is a good rate for wardrobes.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,Simran,
First thing, 230/- per sft for carpenter is a good price to pay,but in general for lofts the price will be lesser than wardrobes. Again it all depends on how you negotiated with your carpenter.
55000/- is for just edge binding material or including the fixing cost by factory ?if it only for edge binding material then you need to re check it for sure .The carpenter would have given you bills ?
Ply requirement of 111 sheet sounds too high unless you made shelves at every 1'6" ht in all the wardrobes and other units .In any case you can measure the complete ply sft by physically measuring all the cut sheets and then add 10%-20% wastage based on your design (this is a very grey area to comment exact wastage).
Above all make sure atleast 15- 20% payment (carpenter ) is due till the end of the work and tell him very clearly that you will be counting all the sft before clearing all the dues ,this way you are keeping carpenter attentive to material consumption.

After you finish your work please to share do and dont's in interior works .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Hi Simran

1) Based on the material counting(111+4+24=139 Ply Boards), for the 680 sq.ft, i can say, around 6-10 boards are taken more. Remember, my opinion is very generic without having the picture of your exact design.

2) On labor charges, different vendors charges differently and there is no prescribed criteria for the same. It starts from Rs. 180 and goes up to Rs. 300 based on the scope and volume of the work. This is where they make best of their margin. You could have got it done the same work at around Rs. 200/sq.ft (Factory automation work which also includes hot bonding of laminates +installation cost).

3) Edge binding: You have not mentioned the thickness of the edge banding tape. Price varies from Rs.6/mtr( for 0.5 mm thickness) to Rs. 24/mtr (for 2.0 mm thickness). In General for the wardrobe work, For 680 sq.ft, it can work out for Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 30,000/-. Rs. 55,000 is too high.

4) As Praveen said, generally 10-15% of payment should be on hold from the owner, till the completion of the service and to be settled only after getting the confirmation of the exact dimensions and the verification of the scope of the work.

All these points are based on the inputs shared here and my discussion with my interior service provider, whom generally i suggest for the members of this forum. If you can share your design offline, i can get you the correct material estimate and precise pricing.
Last edited by msn1270 on January 19th, 2016, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Interiors”