Your thoughts on the Floor Plan

pramod_murthy

Your thoughts on the Floor Plan

Post by pramod_murthy »

Dear Members,

I am planning to construct a new house in Banashankari, Bangalore. I have finalized a contractor and initiated the architectural drawing process.

The plot in subject is 6X12 mtrs corner plot and I am looking to construct a G+3 house. I am looking to have a small shop and stilt parking on the ground floor and 4 BHK on the above floors. My objective is to have a spacious house within the given dimensions. I have aged parents therefore, I am planning to provision for a lift.

I am attaching the draft floor drawings shared by my contractor. Request experienced and knowledgeable members of this forum to advise on any omissions and possible improvisations. It will be of great help to me.

Also, my contractor suggests the elevation will be planned once construction is commenced. I am not convinced of the same. Please advise what is the best approach for elevation planning.

Thank you
Pramod
ganeshncm

Re: Your thoughts on the Floor Plan

Post by ganeshncm »

My suggestions, based on a similar house that I have seen

First floor. Stairs and lift are in the center of the house, causing a narrow passage. If there are senior citizens at home, going through the narrower passage is a little pain, especially if you have railings around it. They fear falling down. Please see if you can push lift, stairs to a corner. Also try and see if you avoid the second set of stairs for the duplex one.

Second Floor - Same as first floor.

On the third floor, please see if you can point the commodes to face the wall, instead of the lift. That will significantly ease up your plumbing work and you can place a simple wall mounted closet. Also, there wont be bends that can cause clog in the future.

if you need more info, I can elaborate or suggest.
pramod_murthy

Post by pramod_murthy »

Thank you for your views, ganeshncm. I am unable to comprehend your thoughts clearly. Could you please elaborate:
1. Do you have any idea how the staircase can be redesigned on the 1st floor? I have given a lot of thought about it but no other design seems to come to my mind. Other designs are not space efficient.
2. How can we avoid 2nd set of stairs? What is your idea?
3. Please elaborate on the cmmodes.
pramod_murthy

Post by pramod_murthy »

Dear Esteemed Members, I am looking for your guidance on the floor plans. I am on the verge of signing the contract and appreciate if you could provide your inputs on the plan so that it can be incorporated at the beginning itself.

Also, my contractor has proposed floating columns in the structural plan. My reading on the web says, it has more disadvantages than advantages. Can anybody advise, what are the things that need to be considered or incorporated into the plan if I am to go with floating columns?

Thank you,
Pramod
Kiran Kumar K

Post by Kiran Kumar K »

I am attaching the draft floor drawings shared by my contractor. where is the plan?
manomur

Post by manomur »

Hi Pramod,
Floating columns usually act as vertical load distribution to main columns rather than load bearing, even in my design two floating columns are incorporated and they are emerging out from a beam of 25.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft (length x width x depth) of size 1.5 ft x .75 ft each. As I said earlier In my case these floating columns are just acting as vertical load distribution. When it comes to structure you need to clear all your doubts with your structure engineer before commencing the construction. In my design there are 4 columns of 2 ft x 1 ft from footings to 1st floor and from 1st floor these columns width will be reduced to size of 9 inch to get hidden in red bricks wall of same size. Reinforcement used for these columns are of 25mm of 10 rebars in each column. As the rebars of these size cannot be joggled my engineer suggested to discontinue the five inner rebars at roof level and advised to install new 5 rebars from the lintel level to reduce the size of width but I was not happy to discontinue the rebars which are are coming from footings. so asked my engineer to continue the 1ft width columns to further level and I am okay to accept 3 inch offsets.
pramod_murthy

Post by pramod_murthy »

Hi Manomur,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. It is very helpful. I did speak to my contractor and he has clarified that it is in line with structural safety requirements and I need not worry. I have taken an opinion from someone from the industry and he confirmed it is ok to proceed. So leaving my worries aside and going ahead.

I have a few more clarifications. I will really appreciate all suggestions and recommendations:
1. How the electricity load is decided for the temp connection? I am going for an elevator and there is a borewell. So what is the minimum electricity load I need to plan for when I go for a permanent connection? Any reliable and reasonable electricity contractor around AGS Layout, Poornapragna Layout, Uttarhalli area;
2. For MRL elevator, how safe it is to go with a non-brand supplier? The materials used for the elevator will be branded but the supplier is not a brand. Although, it is a government-licensed supplier. Rates are really competitive and the supplier seems to be good so far based on the interactions. Anything I need to keep in mind?
3. What is air passing in borewell drilling? What are the causes and how to avoid it?

I soon plan to start the construction. I will document my experience here and also share individuals and experts engaged in the whole process with my personal experience dealing with them so that others can benefit.

Thanks,
Pramod

Return to “Civil Construction”