Size of Solar water heater

Visualizer

Size of Solar water heater

Post by Visualizer »

Hi,

I am considering two options for solar water heater
1 200 Liter pressurized tank + 2 collector plates

2. 300 liter pressurized tank + 2 collector plates

In both the solar water heaters will be suppkimented by a heat pump in hybrid mode.

Can anyone here please comment if extra 100 liter storage makes a difference? As per vendor 1 collector plate per 100 liters of hot water tank is required but I don't want to go for 3 plates due to space constraints.
msn1270

Re: Size of Solar water heater

Post by msn1270 »

Hi,

It would be better, if You share the average no. of users to decide whether 200 or 300 liter is better selection.

Generally 200 Liters Capacity is good enough for 4-6 members based on their average water consumption / Day.

300 Ltr with 2 plates works absolutely fine in the summer & bright sunny days, but may be capable enough to heat the water satisfactorily in Winter or cloudy season.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

4 adults 1 teenager and 1 child usually consumption is more of kids.
To supplement on cloudy days I am going for heat pump.
The quote for 200 liters pressurized tank + 2 plate type collectors + heat pump is 14500/and for 300 liter pressurized tank + 2 collector plate + heat pump 157000.
Heat pump electrical consunption is is 1.6 KW equivalent output is 8 KW
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Have you already taken the BESCOM Residential Connection or still in Temporary Connection ?
Which Brand and What Capacity Heat Pump you have selected ?? What is the price ??
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Yes BESCOM permanent connection is there .we moved in to new house in May.

Brand is Phobeus its Bangalore made and compressor used is Hitachi.
Prices quoted for solar + heat pump is in previous post vendor is not giving pricing breakup. However 200 liter pressurized tank + heatpump alone in 122500/- for comparison and with 2 solar collectors 145000/-
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

If you already have Permanent BESCOM Connection and space is the concern, you can try for the standalone Heat pump itself instead of Solar water Heater + Heat pump combo option.

Racold 150 Ltr Heat pump was 94,500/- & 200 ltr was Rs.1.02 Lakhs with Installation Charge. V-Guard is costlier by another 20,000/-. Both 150 & 200 Ltr Heat Pumps have the same Heating element with Inverter Based Compressor. 150 Ltr heats bit faster compared to the 200 ltr. It doesn't consume Much Space & also economical to the above mentioned quotes. Moreover You can use it for Heating the water anytime, any season irrespective of the sun light availability. It can heat up to 75 degrees.
Attachments
Racold.jpg
Racold.jpg (173.57 KiB) Viewed 10624 times
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Yes I had considered Venus and Racold long back however using solar power as much as possible is one of the goal. Neither Venus nor Racold has hybrid model. 200 liter venus is around 120000/- I think
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

Why not solar water heater along with heating coil attachment to take care of cloudy days?
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Heating element of normal Solar Heater works based on Resistive Heating similar to Iron Box, which consumes more energy. Whereas Heat Pump works based on inverter based Compressor mechanism where it transfers External heat to raise the Temperature of the stored Water inside the tank (Opposite to Refrigeration where it removes heat from inside). Hence Energy Consumption is less compared to the Resistive heating mechanism.

Since people use 15-25 ltr capacity electric Geyser inside the bathroom, they don't give much importance towards the conventional Geyser heating mechanism & its energy Consumption. But heating a 200 ltr storage water which works as centralized water heater for 3-4 bathroom, significantly consumes huge energy in Resistive Heating Mechanism. Hence Resistive Heating mechanism is not energy Efficient.

There is no worry of installing for Heat pump, you can install it directly under Sun light or under any shade or under any roof also. Similar to split AC Units, You can install Storage Water tank inside and the Compressor unit outside also. Hence It needs lesser space, easy installation and lesser maintenance as there is no Glass Panels or leakage issues similar to Glass Evacuated Tube mechanism.
Attachments
heatpump.jpg
heatpump.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 10532 times
Under Shade.jpg
Under Shade.jpg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 10532 times
Indoor.jpg
Indoor.jpg (98.61 KiB) Viewed 10532 times
Last edited by msn1270 on August 31st, 2022, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

I think the heat coil does not get used very often.
FPC based solar heaters are very efficient. I have bought 200lts pressurised solar water heater from Racolld. got a heating coil attached to it. did not have to use the heating coil yet even through this rainy season. And I have at least two kids taking shower early morning before going to school.
so zero electricity on heating water so far.

Return to “Civil Construction”