Realistic time to build a 4 bhk on a 30-40

blr78

Realistic time to build a 4 bhk on a 30-40

Post by blr78 »

Hi Guys, I have finalised a 30 40 site. Good thing is that, its a site, so no pain of demolishing the house. And its on 40 feet road. I have two queries.

1. My plan is G+ 2 floors proper independent house (I mean no rental unit). Ground floor hall, kitchen and 1 room, 1st floor 2 rooms, 2nd floor 1 room. I am confused on contractor selection. Have spoken to a few friends, relatives, others. Got a lot of references. Most of them are saying 7 months for end to end construction including interiors. This doesn't look realistic to me. Can some tell me if its right?. In the worst case, can it exceed 1 year ?. Also, everyone claims he is good/honest etc. What are the things I should look to make sure he is really good?

2. For someone who doesn't have any knowledge, is it worth getting into building a house ? Also, I see a lot of people moving from individual house to apartment these days. I have shortlisted an apartment as a fallback option. But not impressed with the quality of construction. Of course, some things can be changed. But the overall cost of apartment is wont be significantly lower than than independent house ( In this instance). That is holding me.
Thanks in advance.
msn1270

Re: Realistic time to build a 4 bhk on a 30-40

Post by msn1270 »

keep 1 year as average time.

Generally structural part (Column & Wall Construction & plastering) completes easily as its handled by one team and based on the number of masons and helpers & material flow, your construction speed will be decided.

Once structural part is completed, moving in to flooring, plumbing, electrical, wood work, painting, false ceiling is all handled by different groups & couple of works are sequential and interdependent. Getting those group services into our schedule is a challenging task.

Other part of getting a Genuine/Honest contractor/builder may vary from person to person, as perception takes more weightage than the experience with respect to the time line, payment schedule, material used & its source, quality, Transparency in sharing the work break up, flexibility to adopt changes during construction, ability to handle the external hurdles like issues with respect to BBMP, BESCOM, BWSSB, Local neighbourhood Environment...etc. Always go with the experience of the owners who hired their services, rather than just a word of mouth reference from third parties.

Going for an apartment or Individual House, both have their own pro's & cons. Only you & your family can decide on that part.
blr78

Post by blr78 »

Thanks a lot msn1270. As always a very valuable info. I appreciate.
sunil18vns

Post by sunil18vns »

It will be done in 8 months with interior...
NaveenBlr

Post by NaveenBlr »

it depends on the kind of finish you are aiming at. Structure will be done soon. But if you are going for marble add more time for installation and polishing. Same with interiors, bathroom fittings etc. It all depends on how much you want to do. Factory fitted interiors can be done in a month but onsite interior work for doors, TVunits etc will consume time. Nothing less than 1 year for sure. 1.5 years will be the best bet if you need good finish.

As msn said this below work is what can take too much time. This is 100% true and needs patience for good finish.

"Once structural part is completed, moving in to flooring, plumbing, electrical, wood work, painting, false ceiling is all handled by different groups & couple of works are sequential and interdependent. Getting those group services into our schedule is a challenging task "
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

blr78 wrote:
March 14th, 2022, 7:46 pm
Hi Guys, I have finalised a 30 40 site. Good thing is that, its a site, so no pain of demolishing the house. And its on 40 feet road. I have two queries.

1. My plan is G+ 2 floors proper independent house (I mean no rental unit). Ground floor hall, kitchen and 1 room, 1st floor 2 rooms, 2nd floor 1 room. I am confused on contractor selection. Have spoken to a few friends, relatives, others. Got a lot of references. Most of them are saying 7 months for end to end construction including interiors. This doesn't look realistic to me. Can some tell me if its right?. In the worst case, can it exceed 1 year ?. Also, everyone claims he is good/honest etc. What are the things I should look to make sure he is really good?

2. For someone who doesn't have any knowledge, is it worth getting into building a house ? Also, I see a lot of people moving from individual house to apartment these days. I have shortlisted an apartment as a fallback option. But not impressed with the quality of construction. Of course, some things can be changed. But the overall cost of apartment is wont be significantly lower than than independent house ( In this instance). That is holding me.
Thanks in advance.
Hi,
constructing a residence for your own use without any rental spaces of any size ( 20x30, 30x40, 40x60, 50x80 ) will take nothing less than 12months ( civil ) + 3 months interior wood works .
You can do a small survey of recently home constructed owners within your layout to get a clear picture about time lines. It's not just about making slabs and walls, finishes will take a hell a lot of time and given the labour availability in the market and their timings.
With respect to individual villa vs apartment is a person preference as MSN said. Time taken to construct a new residence shouldn't be a yardstick to decide between individual villa and apartment.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.instagram.com/ardesarchitects
blr78

Post by blr78 »

Thanks Naveen and Praveen for the useful info. I appreciate.
I have two more queries. Would appreciate if you or anyone could help me.
1. I am in a dilemma between 2 options. One of them is a site and the other is a demolishable house. Are there any challenges in demolishing a house (for example approval, surrendering electricity connections etc)?. Any idea, how much does it cost to demolish a 30/40, g+1 house?. I read somewhere that, some of the materials like wood, steel etc will have some value and net net the cost will be zero.
2. The site option is in a 40 feet road. The demolishable house in a 30 feet road. I felt, 30 feet road is a little congested. Do you think 40 feet road is way better than a 30 feet road or marginally better?.
rk80

Post by rk80 »

blr78 wrote:
May 15th, 2022, 1:54 pm
Thanks Naveen and Praveen for the useful info. I appreciate.
I have two more queries. Would appreciate if you or anyone could help me.
1. I am in a dilemma between 2 options. One of them is a site and the other is a demolishable house. Are there any challenges in demolishing a house (for example approval, surrendering electricity connections etc)?. Any idea, how much does it cost to demolish a 30/40, g+1 house?. I read somewhere that, some of the materials like wood, steel etc will have some value and net net the cost will be zero.
2. The site option is in a 40 feet road. The demolishable house in a 30 feet road. I felt, 30 feet road is a little congested. Do you think 40 feet road is way better than a 30 feet road or marginally better?.
1. I don't think it matters much. Given that you will spend several lakhs or crores, an additional few thousands for demolition is insignificant. You don't need any approval, but surrendering electricity and water meters is required and easily doable without any bribe. What you say about materials is true, sometimes the demolition person might have to pay back some money based on amount of wood / steel etc. recovered from site.

2. Road width of 30 vs 40 does not make much difference, though bigger is better. The more important things would be direction of site facing (for Vastu), neighborhood and neighbors, easy access to market, transport, main road etc.
blr78

Post by blr78 »

Thanks a lot rk80. Very good info. Appreciate.
I have an option where it meets all the criteria like easy access to market, transport, facing (vastu) etc. But the neighbourhood looks so so. Its not very bad though. A lot of old houses where the owners dont live ( rented). I dont know how much importance once should give to this since its very difficult to find properties that you like from all aspects.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Congratulations for your site selection
Since you dont want rental units you should spend lot of time on planning with an architect each and every aspect and also finalize on elevation and fascia before you start dogging foundation.
Allow 4 to 6 months for this planning first one month architect needs to meet you understand your requirements and prepare a story board and then he will provide you 2-3 options and from there you will start working on finer aspects so even with one meeting per week it is minimum 3 months + 1 month for final drawings.

From this point count 12 to 24 months depending on finishes so my estimate is 18months to 2 years.

You may hear 8.montha to 12 months from many people but that is for generic boxy houses build to cost for renting out.
blr78 wrote:
March 14th, 2022, 7:46 pm

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Civil Construction”