AAC block contstruction - advisable or not ?

sureshkn

AAC block contstruction - advisable or not ?

Post by sureshkn »

Hi All,
I am planning for a G+4 construction, for rental purpose. Is AAC block construction advisable ?
Most of the civil contractors I talked to are against AAC. Two of them agreed for AAC. One is quoting similar price (labour contract) as solid block construction, other one is quoting higher price as it requires skilled labour. So, I am confused about cost saving in terms of Labour. I believe that cost saving in steel will get covered with the cost of AAC block. So, I am unable to decide to chose AAC or go with Solid block.

1. Cost of Civil Construction.
Assuming I go with labour contractor who charges same cost as solid block, will I save money in overall civil construction ? The plan is to go with adhesive joining, proper band beams, chicken mesh, internal gypsum plastering & outer plastering with readymix plaster.

2. Longterm effects.
Will the AAC block be able to withstand the Bangalore rains & heat ? My main worry is after 3 or 4 years house shouldn't be with dampness and paint coming off.

3. Strength.
AAC blocks are light weight, can it withstand if tenants drill hole or misuse ?

Please advice.

Thanks,
Suresh.
kk55340

Re: AAC block contstruction - advisable or not ?

Post by kk55340 »

Never used or seen aac blocks, but my opinion is construction is costly And onetime affair, so use proven methods solid bricks or clay bricks these are proven with time. Aac block yet to Be accepted widely.
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Aac blocks should only be used where structure cannot take weight. Just strengthen the pillar structure and go with proven solid blocks. In construction more than smooth finish,stability is important.
sureshkn

Post by sureshkn »

Thanks for your advises. I am still searching if AAC will save construction cost or not. Haven't found answer yet.
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Whether its AAC or any other type, as long as its not widely accepted & used in the market, the labour cost will be usually higher as it need skilled labour force. Alternately You need to look at whether it saves your construction time drastically compared to the conventional Brick work. If there is significant saving in time, which can compensate your labour cost, then you can have a look at the new option.

if you don't have trusted & complete information, better not to try based on assumptions.

Return to “Civil Construction”