Tile Measurements

saran88

Tile Measurements

Post by saran88 »

I did Floor and Wall area measurements with my Engineer. In addition to actual area, he added 3% as wastage. My Civil engg friend is asking me to consider 12 to 15%. Store people are suggesting 10%. :roll: What's the typical wastage % to be considered??
RashmiL

Re: Tile Measurements

Post by RashmiL »

Wastage depends on sizes of the walls. Say if room wall width is 10.3 feet wastage would be more as they might need more tiles to be split to fit to wall width.A 10 feet wall width would have less wastage and so on. Also once installed you will almost never find same pattern again in case if tiles break. So it's better to go for 10%-15% extra so that you can store them and use it in case if tiles break in future.

Also always use spacers when laying vitrified tiles. Tiles will always have measurements differences. Hence choose good quality epoxy for tiles along with spacers. Life of tiles will be good. Actually laying vitrified tiles is a skill. Also check of tiles sound immediately after laying. It should never sound hollow when you hit from back of tiles from hammer.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

saran take 15% including wastage and skirting.

Tiles shade and glaze differs as per the manufacturing batch so auppose if you are one or two box short you won't get the exact shade even if you buy box of same brand and shade 1 month later and old stock has moved.
As you might have noticed in many commercial buildings with large floors one tile stands out though it is same beige/grey/white.

Also ask mistry to lay all flooring fist and cut tiles for skirting later because if you fall short difference in shade is not visible much in skirting

If you have few extra tiles remaning keep them. safe for breakages in future.

Wastage is more in ceramic tiles compared to good quality vitrified tile.
saran88

Post by saran88 »

Thanks for prompt reply Rashmi and Visualizer.. I'll consider wastage as 15%...
Raju091117

Post by Raju091117 »

Hi all,

I am looking for epoxy filing for floor tile, can any one provide me contact details. Present tile laying person is quoting rs 15 per sft for epoxy filing.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Raju091117 wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 5:15 am
Hi all,

I am looking for epoxy filing for floor tile, can any one provide me contact details. Present tile laying person is quoting rs 15 per sft for epoxy filing.
Just for epoxy ita difficult to find another guy. From what I have seen there is a strange sort of Omarta between various workmen tough they may not know each other but they don't take unfinished work of other guy in middle

See how much is your area if it is matter of
3-4 thousand better to pay to same guy and finish the job.
deepakss83

Post by deepakss83 »

Useful info on tiles. My building construction is in plastering stage. Now i am planning for the next imp stage of laying tiles/granites. Here i am in confusion whether to go for vitrified tiles or granite for flooring. Area approximately comes around 3800 floor area in this 1100 is of own use house and remaining area of rent house.

Any suggestion on below points would be really helpful.
1. whether to go for Vitrified tiles or granite.
2. address or location to buy granites and tiles
3. Any good mistry contacts
4. Any hints or imp points to be verify while laying the tiles/granite.

Thanks in advance
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

.1. Granite in largest possible sheet size you can afford ( least joints) . In my view natural stone looks elegant and timeless and whatever is hardness of tiles the surface scratching happens when people walk with sand in shoes.

2. Either Jigani or Shoolagiri .. I have heard Jagani has lots of good options however I went to shoolagiri and purchased from there.
Start from home as early as possible so that you can finish buying and loading before evening.

4. Ensure that they put the max span possible example if span you got is 12 feet long dont let mistri cut in 2 and put that will ease his job but will get ome extra joint.

*Dont put electric conduets below floor they are headach later.

*Get pressure testing of all pipes and plumbing done before you lay floor else pinpointing dampness in floor becomes difficult. Get waterproofing of wet areas done in advance and test it before floor is layed.

* Buy a comb trovel and give it to mistri for using Roff or any other stone adhasive for oarge format tiling see video on YouTube and show it to mistri and his helpers.
vijayk76

Post by vijayk76 »

Visualizer wrote:
August 18th, 2022, 12:42 am
.1. Granite in largest possible sheet size you can afford ( least joints) . In my view natural stone looks elegant and timeless and whatever is hardness of tiles the surface scratching happens when people walk with sand in shoes.

2. Either Jigani or Shoolagiri .. I have heard Jagani has lots of good options however I went to shoolagiri and purchased from there.
Start from home as early as possible so that you can finish buying and loading before evening.

4. Ensure that they put the max span possible example if span you got is 12 feet long dont let mistri cut in 2 and put that will ease his job but will get ome extra joint.

*Dont put electric conduets below floor they are headach later.

*Get pressure testing of all pipes and plumbing done before you lay floor else pinpointing dampness in floor becomes difficult. Get waterproofing of wet areas done in advance and test it before floor is layed.

* Buy a comb trovel and give it to mistri for using Roff or any other stone adhasive for oarge format tiling see video on YouTube and show it to mistri and his helpers.
Hello Visualizer

what color Granite did you buy for flooring.
#4 - Do you mean to say ask the Tiler Layer to lay 12 Feet slab?

Electric conduits - If not below floor then where? Ceilings/Roof also have leakage problems. Not sure if we can lay them in skirtings walls.

Pressure Testing is great idea.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

I bought Burgandy white granite this stone is from orrisa and I bought 13 feet slabs.
Yes somehow managed to convince my mistry to put 13 + 13 + zmall pieces on both side in 32 feet long dining + living 😀
However its a hard job the stone was bending like plastic sheet from.middle while lifting and qe all were afraid it will break.

Return to “Civil Construction”