Standing water in Footing

saran88

Standing water in Footing

Post by saran88 »

Hello all

In my site, after doing soil excavation for 5ft water started coming from ground. We digged upto 6ft for Sump and adjacent 4 columns, stagnant water level is upto 1ft. We put PCC with 40mm Jally and then also water seeping above PCC upto 4". By drying the water using motor, mat and column work was done. I think water table in my area is high. Tomorrow we're going to pour the concrete. What are the precautions to be taken for tomorrow work and future concrete stability??
ganeshncm

Re: Standing water in Footing

Post by ganeshncm »

For concrete pouring to plinth you need not worry..it will help cure..but building stability, better get an expert help..soil testing, load bearing capacity etc. Ensure adequate testing before you proceed
saran88 wrote:
February 26th, 2021, 2:57 pm
Hello all

In my site, after doing soil excavation for 5ft water started coming from ground. We digged upto 6ft for Sump and adjacent 4 columns, stagnant water level is upto 1ft. We put PCC with 40mm Jally and then also water seeping above PCC upto 4". By drying the water using motor, mat and column work was done. I think water table in my area is high. Tomorrow we're going to pour the concrete. What are the precautions to be taken for tomorrow work and future concrete stability??
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Check if neighbors have leaking sump or if there is any drain nearby. Water table at 5 feet looks unlikely in Bangalore.
saran88

Post by saran88 »

Yes , Even I think the same. But One of my neighbour who stays more than 20years in that area told me, one of his known friend constructed a house using this ground water in the same area.
Visualizer wrote:
February 26th, 2021, 4:19 pm
Check if neighbors have leaking sump or if there is any drain nearby. Water table at 5 feet looks unlikely in Bangalore.
Attachments
IMG-20210225-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20210226-WA0007.jpg
saran88

Post by saran88 »

I haven't done soil testing. But I had spoken to 4 experienced people, they all told it's fine to go ahead.
ganeshncm wrote:
February 26th, 2021, 3:26 pm
For concrete pouring to plinth you need not worry..it will help cure..but building stability, better get an expert help..soil testing, load bearing capacity etc. Ensure adequate testing before you proceed
saran88 wrote:
February 26th, 2021, 2:57 pm
Hello all

srinihome

Post by srinihome »

Soil Testing and engaging a Structural Engineer would be best in these conditions.
Sometimes the soil condition would vary even within the plot, we had a couple of columns foundation to be deeper compared to others.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Soil testing costs nothing compared to overall cost of house. It costed me 8K for samples talen from 6M deep holes at 3 points at the site and they gave detailed report (32 pages) of soil bearing capacity and foundation recommendation. It would be interesting read for any engineer or person who has basic knowledge of maths and I could personally cross question many things in foundation design

Trust me this 8-12K is nothing compared to what it may cost to fill cracks due to differential settlement if SBC is low.
Other way round is also possible sometimes people overengineer foundation going by rule of thumbs and spend much more

I would say your pits are still open call a tester and get it done.

Here is the contact for soil test this guy did at my site
Parappa : +919620255539

I sent this report to architect who in turn gave to structural engineering firm.

PS: DON'T TRUST YOUR ARCHITECT ALONE FOR STRUCTURE AND SBC INSIST THAT HE ENGAGES A STRUCTURAL ENGINEER.

I don't want to offend any professional however just like Architects insists don't depend on civil engineer for design but involve an architect same holds true for them as well.
Last edited by Visualizer on March 1st, 2021, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saran88

Post by saran88 »

Thanks Srinihome and Visualizer for your input...

Return to “Civil Construction”