Average cost of bathroom renovation

Prez

Re: Average cost of bathroom renovation

Post by Prez »

Visualizer wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 11:45 pm
Yes it will work.. any reason you don't want to get provision of solar water heater ? In my e )opinion if suppose you are getting the lines laid a provision of solar heater or heatpump water heater will not heve too much incremental cost ( you can fit them later also of you have pipes in place) however savings in energy bills are quite good.
Everybody in the family is against solar water heaters because it occupies more space in the terrace (we do go there a lot) and because of its fragility. A heat pump is something I can consider. Any good brands for that?

EDIT:
Visualizer wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 11:06 pm
1. Kohler rimless Wall hung WC 25K approx ( good one best can go higher to a lakh depending on models )
2 Kohler countertop washbasin 15K approx ( decent one they have quite expensive ones also)
3. Gerberit Concealed tank 6-10k or 40mm flush valve American Standard if you have 15feet water head (dont go for 32mm)
4. Steel frame 2K

Bath fittings approx 1 -2 L if you are adding rain showers keep on upping the budget.

3. Grohe 4 way thermostat diverter 20K
4 grohe plates/knobs ( big range but rounded was cheaper ) 20K
I had also read that in India, Jaquar lasts (relatively) longer compared to German and American brands because it is better suited for hard water in India. But it looks like you are mostly chosen German and American brands and only used Jaquar for leftovers. Does it mean that you have a water softener installed too? Any good brands for water softeners?
Prez

Post by Prez »

Visualizer wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 8:07 pm
3. Yes if you need larger showers and body jets you need pressure boosting pump.
So while renovating keep 3 water lines from roof
1. 2 inch line for flush
2. Pressurized cold water line
3. Pressurized insulated hotwater line from solar water heater / heat pump.

Single pressure pump can service both hot and cold lines. Ensure your solar heater is compatible to take pressure pump.
@Visualizer
A few more thoughts that came to mind...
1. For the point 2 in above quote, is it possible to use 2 inch pipe for the cold water line as well and avoid pressure pump? I'm trying to see if pressure pump can be eliminated AND use water 4 outlet body jets (getting greedy now :P )
2. What method do we need to use for waterproofing bathroom floor? Is it the one called "pointing" where they drill hold and inject waterproofing liquid at high pressure or is there any better method for it?
3. Regarding water hardness and bathroom fittings, is it the case that for moderately hard water, we need not worry when going with high end fittings and only worry about it with the water is very hard?

Thank you very much for the advise so far. Really appreciate it.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Since pressure is force per unit area and in this case is gravitational force exerted on mass of water divided by area of pipe cross section is the pressure the diameter of pipe can not increase or decrease pressure.
Suppose you have two pipes with tank at same height wider diameter pipe will deliver higher volume of water in unit time (higher flow) at same pressure.

2 inch (or min 1.5 inch) pipe is used for flush valve as you require more volume of water in short time for flushing in fact max pressure recommended for FV is 4 bar, beyond this you will get splash outside.

For bodyshowers there is a certain minimum pressure requirement check the specification first if gravity can give you that much pressure its fine else you need pressure boosting pump.

Copying a link for conversion between height of water tank (water head)and pressure for you

http://www.mydatabook.org/fluid-mechanics/pumps/head-to-pressure-converter/
ganpath_blr

Post by ganpath_blr »

Prez/Visualizer,

I am in the stage of finalising the plumbing plan for my under construction house. Please help with the below:
1. Overhead tank will be at a height of 20feet from the first floor bathroom and I am planning for basic shower and hand shower I believe pressure pump will not be required. Please share your inputs.
2. Jaguar has a model called high flow diverter with 45mm cartridge (https://www.amazon.in/Jaquar-Diverter-Without-Exposed-Part-079/dp/B078GT1ZXD) and planning to go for it for the first floor bathroom. Any feedback on this.
3. Jaguar has a brand called essco and it is economy brand from Jaguar, any feedback on this.
4. I am planning to go for single piece commode and the Jaguar models are costly. I have seen RAK having commodes that are 60-70% cost of Jaguar, any feedback on this or any other brands I can consider.
5. Which is a good and VFM brand for wash basins.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

1. yes for simple shower which is not too big Pressure booster is not required.
2. No idea about this particular model of Jaquar , if budget allows look that thermostat of Jaquar.

3. Essco is economy brand mostly used in kitchen taps etc. I think the main difference is in finish. Check if the spindle inside is made of brass or white metal ( Zinc mostly) Brass is more durable.

4. I don't have any particular opinion on RAK I didn't like finish , lots of undulations etc atleast in the pieces I saw.

You can also check Kerovit from Kajaria as well they have pretty good showers and ceramic ware.
You can check at Arun Ceramics Indiranagar 100 feet road which is exclusive showroom or at experience center near lalbagh opposit to passport office. I bought large format 6'x4' tiles from them and that time saw the sanitary ware. A lot of shops have Kajaria on signboard both for tiles and fittings but if you go inside they have very limited choice from Kajaria and try to push other Morbi ( Gujrat) made stuff.

5. For budget washbasins will recommend Kerovit ( Kajaria) again. Thin walls, modern looking squarish/rectangular shapes and designs which looks very much like Kohler except the brand name.

in my view washbasin and WC buy matched pair of same brand and range as finish will be similar.

For budget brands perryware and hindware are generally good and long lasting but have traditional designs.
Premium pieces of Hindware are also good and not very expensive check on their website. Usually local shops only keep lower end basic models of Hindware and for premium they try to push Jaquar or for higher range Kohler .
ganpath_blr

Post by ganpath_blr »

Hi Visualizer, thanks for your inputs this is useful, I will checkout Kerovit, Parryware and Hindware.
Prez

Post by Prez »

Visualizer wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 8:07 pm
May be another 3-4 months down the line I can tell my practical experience with these valves.
@Visualizer, how is your experience so far. Do you think anything needs to be changed?

Return to “Civil Construction”