Ongoing price of material contract

Pavithra

Ongoing price of material contract

Post by Pavithra »

I just wanted to know ongoing price of material contract. Planning to construct 3500sqft house. Please let me know the price
Thanks
Pavithra

Re: Ongoing price of material contract

Post by Pavithra »

Hi
I would like to know the price they charge for material contract for 3500sqft on 30*40 site. Our plan is like this.
Ground floor - Car parking for 2 cars n office room
First floor - 2bhk house
Second & third floor - 3bhk duplex house
Thinking to give material contract due to some reasons as there is nobody to look after much so please let me the approximate price.
Regards
baruc2003

Post by baruc2003 »

need more inputs to comment on per sqft basis. Generally people say 1600psqft for vitrified, 1700 per sqft for granite and 1800 for red bricks.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Hello,

There are two ways to give material contract one is per sq feet of built up area and another is using BOQ ( Bills of Quantity ) method.
(1) Per Sq feet approx 1800 to 2000 of complete construction

Per sq feet method works from flat in a multistory as quality is largely fixed but is not very good for independent construction as it is always prone to dispute and disagreements.
For example you never know if the quote is for sized stone masonry foundation or RCC footings and plinth beam. Even if you write RCC frame and foundation you don't know if plinth beam is one foot high or 9 inch

(2) Other method is BOQ method.

Once you come down to level of specifying size and dimensions and quality actually you can easily give BOQ contract

I have given material contract with certain brands and values mentioned . In case I buy the material the agreed maximum value will be deducted from the bill. The quote was given in cubic meters and square meters as applicable.

Example cement was agreed at 370 Rs per bag which contractor will procure. In case I choose to procure cement
( at whatever rate 400 or 350 but contractor will deduct 370 per bag from the bill).

Rates of Major items

Earthwork formation upto depth of 1.5m 280.00 /- per cubic meter
Earthwork /excavation upto 4.5m deep 425 per cubic meter
Earth work filling with available soil with comoaction 180/- pe cu. m.
Earth work filling brought from outside 530 per cu. m
Disposing Earth 530 per cu. m

Plain Cement Concrete ( 1:2:4) 4200 per Cu m
RCC laying footing ( M20 ) 7770/- Cu m.
RCC column (m20) 10500/- cu m
RCC plinth beam ( m20) 8800/ cu. m
RCC lintels 8800/- Cu m
RCC roof 10200/- Cu m

Reinforcement Fe 500 70000/- per metric ton ( steel cost 55000/)
Block Masanory 200mm 6500 per cu. m
Block Masanory 100mm 4850 per cu. m

Plastering exterior & ceilings 910/- per sq m
Plastering interior 810/- per sq m
Flooring with 40mm thick IPS in 1:2:4 : 1300 per sq. m

For finishing that is granite , tiles , daddoing took the quote for fixing charges with sand and cement
and minus the tile/granite
Roughly

Granite fixing (with CM 1:3) 102/- per sq ft
Wall tile daddoing (CM 1:3) 75/ per sq ft.
Floor tiles ( CM 1:3) 53/- sq ft.

I am finding rates of fixing tiles and granite quite high.
In case later I find someone offering better tates may go with other contractor for flooring and tiled .

Door frame fixing 750 per frame.

Plumbing 6% of civil works
Electrical 6% of civil works

structure minus tiles ,granite, UPVC windows , Doors , door-frames etc comes at 1400 per sq feet

I am estimating 400-500 per sq ft for all the finishing materials so net result will be same as option 1 but with desired finish.
Armchair_general

Post by Armchair_general »

Going by SQ/FT rate is a recipe for disaster. Fraudulent contractors will hide details, and inexperienced owners will not know the hidden costs.

Best to always go by BoQ and get clarity on the costs. Choose the grade and quality and fix the quantity.
Design2Konstruct

Post by Design2Konstruct »

I would like to suggest to go by Sft Rate and get clarity for all materials used by the contractor. Not all Contractors are fraudulant. Get an agreement signed indicating the use of all materials (Kind of BOQ Specification). Due to some fraudulant contractors who make money and they are not bothered about the quality and cost are making other contractors look bad. I suggest a qualified civil engineer who is a contractor will be suitable to take up works. An illiterate contractors are the ones who cheat the owners. So kindly ensure to give works for a qualified person and the rest will be fine.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Design2Konstruct wrote:I would like to suggest to go by Sft Rate and get clarity for all materials used by the contractor. Not all Contractors are fraudulant. Get an agreement signed indicating the use of all materials (Kind of BOQ Specification). Due to some fraudulant contractors who make money and they are not bothered about the quality and cost are making other contractors look bad. I suggest a qualified civil engineer who is a contractor will be suitable to take up works. An illiterate contractors are the ones who cheat the owners. So kindly ensure to give works for a qualified person and the rest will be fine.
So if Contractor is qualified why he should have any problem in giving rates in cubic feet / sq feet of each work item as in BOQ separately instead of an overall sq feet rate ?
Reluctance to give breakup is first indication that something is fishy.
saran88

Post by saran88 »

Thanks Visualizer. It's helpful.
Visualizer wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 12:45 pm
Hello,

There are two ways to give material contract one is per sq feet of built up area and another is using BOQ ( Bills of Quantity ) method.
(1) Per Sq feet approx 1800 to 2000 of complete construction

Per sq feet method works from flat in a multistory as quality is largely fixed but is not very good for independent construction as it is always prone to dispute and disagreements.
For example you never know if the quote is for sized stone masonry foundation or RCC footings and plinth beam. Even if you write RCC frame and foundation you don't know if plinth beam is one foot high or 9 inch

(2) Other method is BOQ method.

Once you come down to level of specifying size and dimensions and quality actually you can easily give BOQ contract

I have given material contract with certain brands and values mentioned . In case I buy the material the agreed maximum value will be deducted from the bill. The quote was given in cubic meters and square meters as applicable.

Example cement was agreed at 370 Rs per bag which contractor will procure. In case I choose to procure cement
( at whatever rate 400 or 350 but contractor will deduct 370 per bag from the bill).

Rates of Major items

Earthwork formation upto depth of 1.5m 280.00 /- per cubic meter
Earthwork /excavation upto 4.5m deep 425 per cubic meter
Earth work filling with available soil with comoaction 180/- pe cu. m.
Earth work filling brought from outside 530 per cu. m
Disposing Earth 530 per cu. m

Plain Cement Concrete ( 1:2:4) 4200 per Cu m
RCC laying footing ( M20 ) 7770/- Cu m.
RCC column (m20) 10500/- cu m
RCC plinth beam ( m20) 8800/ cu. m
RCC lintels 8800/- Cu m
RCC roof 10200/- Cu m

Reinforcement Fe 500 70000/- per metric ton ( steel cost 55000/)
Block Masanory 200mm 6500 per cu. m
Block Masanory 100mm 4850 per cu. m

Plastering exterior & ceilings 910/- per sq m
Plastering interior 810/- per sq m
Flooring with 40mm thick IPS in 1:2:4 : 1300 per sq. m

For finishing that is granite , tiles , daddoing took the quote for fixing charges with sand and cement
and minus the tile/granite
Roughly

Granite fixing (with CM 1:3) 102/- per sq ft
Wall tile daddoing (CM 1:3) 75/ per sq ft.
Floor tiles ( CM 1:3) 53/- sq ft.

I am finding rates of fixing tiles and granite quite high.
In case later I find someone offering better tates may go with other contractor for flooring and tiled .

Door frame fixing 750 per frame.

Plumbing 6% of civil works
Electrical 6% of civil works

structure minus tiles ,granite, UPVC windows , Doors , door-frames etc comes at 1400 per sq feet

I am estimating 400-500 per sq ft for all the finishing materials so net result will be same as option 1 but with desired finish.
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

Visualizer,
I am discussing with few contrators. Here is a query for you and others to help me pick the right one.
I notice that you have selected good quality material. Wondering what is the cost/sft (total material+labor) you are looking at for your house?

I am getting a quote of 2100/sft with specs like this-
1) Indus steel
2) 6" block at 35/sft cost
3) Ultratech cement
4) RMC for footing and roof slabs
5) tiles @ 100/sft
6) Anchor Roma switches
7) Ashirvad for plumbing
8) 40k/bathroom accessories included in the price

Sump and boundary not included in the above price.

Does it look reasonable?
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Rjblr No don't fix likd this it is sure shot way of dissatisfaction and arguments later.
Prepare a BOQ and ask various contractors to give tendered rates that way you can do apples to apples comparison.
Example in your list only RMC is mentioned, is it M20 or M25 actually design and soil test should determine that. Similarly RMC with flyash works cheaper than with GGBS which in turn is cheaper than only OPC53 and aggregate (no one uses only OPC53 cement anyway but just example)

It is easier for you to take a measuring tape and calculate volume of a wall with LxBxH - ( doors and windows volume) and cross check else
contractors will argue that 10 feet slab means to slab top and not slab bottom and as you have increased height by 6 inch that adds 2 lakhs to the bill etc. Same kind of pitfalls exists for everything if tomorrow you tell him change Indus to JSW 500 he will again jack price even though JSW in Bangalore works cheaper and best.

Check that BOQ rates mentioned in earlier post on this thread.

Also don't give plumbing, electrical , grill-work , granite and painting contracts to same civil contractor.

If you feel you can't supervise/measure and check quality for multiple agencies fix a supervision service rate (typically some thing iike 7% to 10% of total bill) with some architect or civil engineer . Here everything right from material supervision appointing a watchman building a shade for them , curing of cement. Measurements etc is job of the engineer/Architect firm. Typically 7 to 10% arch includes design, drawings and supervision of execution.

Return to “Civil Construction”