FRP Water Sump or RCC for Rain water harvesting

Visualizer

FRP Water Sump or RCC for Rain water harvesting

Post by Visualizer »

Hi,

My house is in planning stage , I have specifically asked for 15000 to 20000 liter capacity rain water harvesting sump.
For this my architect suggests to go for FRP Sump tank and the cost per liter will be same as RCC. As per him these kind of
FRP tanks are commonly used in petrol pumps for fuel storage and are quite good

Need to gather opinions on pro and cons of FRP vs RCC Sump tank.

Also in case I go for readymade tank is it better to go for single big tank ( 15K or 20K liters) or get 2 /3 smaller 5K liter sumps ?

Regards
Armchair_general

Re: FRP Water Sump or RCC for Rain water harvesting

Post by Armchair_general »

If you choose FRP, be mindful of the base. It has to have a smooth base and no protrusions or sharp objects. The pressure on the tank would be enormous and a small sharp object will cause leakage and crack. Also keep in mind that when cleaning the sump tank, the labourers will have to be gentle and not damage.
Vijay Vaikundam

Post by Vijay Vaikundam »

Instead of one tank I would recommend 3 tanks each 10k which would be easy for installation and not need to replace if damaged. Since the cost are same I would recommend RCC .
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Thanks for your inputs ,

About the base of FRP usually a put is dug and query dust or small stone aggregate is filled in so the tank rests on this filler material and
around the tank also the same material is used to fill cavity.

One disadvantage of RCC I see is possibility of leaks if workmanship is not proper.
Anyone has practical experience of using FRP sump tank
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Thanks for your inputs ,

About the base of FRP usually a put is dug and query dust or small stone aggregate is filled in so the tank rests on this filler material and
around the tank also the same material is used to fill cavity.

One disadvantage of RCC I see is possibility of leaks if workmanship is not proper.
Anyone has practical experience of using FRP sump tank
isap63

Post by isap63 »

My recommendation is not to go for RCC tank - I have stopped recommending this. Maintenance will be an issue. If you decide to go for RCC tank, you must waterproof around 4 coats. Also water must be rotating and should not be stocked. Consider this when you shop for the tank size.
Naveen
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
We need to understand that FRP tanks come in standard sizes and in case you want customization the price will be high unless you have quantity.
The FRP tanks used in petrol pumps are always tube type for various reasons .In residential buildings there are various practical issues that we need to look in to.
1. Columns and footings will not be in straight line in every case, so fitting single tank in between footings is not easy task unless you have proper planning.
2. Sump can never go below the footings, in case you plan to use tube type tank it needs more depth to achieve 15k liters , so all your footings depths will be more .
3. Practically most cases rainwater sumps are made in L shape to give higher capacity with less depth. If you are looking at 15kl for rainwater alone, you need atleast 5kl for bore & kauvery.

RCC tanks are not bad option and leakage in rcc is less compared to brick sump. sump cleaning will be same in case of rcc or FRP . In case you go for tube type cleaning will be difficult.
Most important in FRP is the inlets and outlet opening should be planned before manufacturing since making holes or cuttings on site is not recommended .

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Thanks Praveen

Is FRP and GRP same material ?

In my plan the covered parking size is 19' 9" x 16' was thinking of putting sump under the floor this space.. This is in SW corner. I have no perticular aversion of constructing sump in SW though.

The other place I have in mind is on the east side just at the main door.. I have a 10' long open strip .. I. need to raise this area to make a varandh and I can put tank under the floor of varandah.

As per my calculation 15K L cylindrical tank should be approx 14' long and 3.5' diameter so can fit in either place. However I am not sure distance from footing and walls at this point as structural design is not yet done.

Or I can divide the capacity in 2 parts if roof slope can be made to drain out in two different directions.

The quote for sump I got from one contractor was 13 Rs liter (traditional method) for plastic sumps on IndiaMart saw around 7 to 11 Rs rate.. What are the per liter costs for both types typically ?
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
Parking size you mentioned is the floor area but the under ground footings will reduce the same by 6'-7' from each side. You need to check for this before finalizing on FRP.
GRP and FRP are same.
FRP is generic name Fiber reinforced polymer, in this case fiber can be glass fiber / plastic fiber / jute fibre depending up the purpose it is used.
GRP - glass fiber reinforced polymer is used specifically for making tanks , chemical storage, petrol etc because glass fiber will not degrade with these soon.
Jute reinforced polymer is used for making bags, internal doors, partitions etc.
For RCC sump tank including material will range from 17-18/- per liter
For brick sump tank including material will range from 10-12/- per liter

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr

Return to “Civil Construction”