Borewell or not

kiran4924

Borewell or not

Post by kiran4924 »

I own a west facing BDA plot in Gubbalala and have finalized most of the construction pre-preparation items like Architect plan, elevation, BBMP approval, SBI loan processing (in progress), Contractor, etc. I am confused with just one aspect, to or not to go with borewell. Cauvery pipes were laid in the entire layout 3 months ago just before the elections but there is no sign of connection any time soon. I got the site surveyed by a geologist for borewell point and he suggested me 2 points:

1. In the NE of the site with a yield of 2000-2500 LPH.
2. In the NW of the site with a yield of 2700-3500 LPH.

But the downside is he has suggested to go until 1050-1100 ft for a reliable source with a max yield expectation of 1-1.5" for either points. This is what has lead me to this million dollar question, to or not to go for the borewell. With low yield, deep drilling, high expense (approx 1.5-2L I guess), low quality water, prospects of Cauvery connection (though not sure about timelines) and a lot more down sides is it really worth to dig a borewell.

Looking forward to valuable expert opinions.

Regards,
Kiran
sreejith6628

Re: Borewell or not

Post by sreejith6628 »

Your expenses would reach above 3L if you need drill 1000 -1100 feet including motor and wiring. You would also need to take a higher load rating in your temporary connection also. My advice would be not to drill one as there are ongoing expenses also. Also since its a BDA plot Cauvery connection would be made available also at a later stage. If you are able to survive on Tankers till that would be a better bet. Also there is a risk of the entire 1L to 2L going down the drain if the point doesnt have yeild
ragalax

Post by ragalax »

there is no need for borewell as along as you get kaveri water!
couple of years back i have built a house, there are 6 families (2BHKs) living in it, where kaveri water comes twice a week and yuo belive it or not we have not purchased a single tanker of water so far.
If this house for your own use and may be couple of units for rent then don't even think of having a borewell.
you need to spend around 3L now and for the maintainance you need to spend thousends of rupees later.
my suggestion is have a bigger size sump and forget about the borewell.
kiran4924

Post by kiran4924 »

Thanks for the responses.

@sreejith6628 thanks for mentioning the additional points I had in my mind. But I am alarmed at the expenses you have mentioned. Will it cost more than 3L if things go right? I got a quote starting from Rs.56 (0-250ft) and increasing by depth. I do know that non-drilling expenses comprise of 75% of the cost but would it all add up to 3L?

@ragalax I am constructing the house for own use only, no rental expectation. So our water consumption will be substantially low than rental buildings. How did you manage water for construction? Will tankers not create a problem as more water is needed during construction, I guess 4 times more than domestic usage?

I have pretty much made up my mind not to go for a borewell and have one guilt less of not digging another unnecessary hole in the ground :). The only concern I have is the water availability for construction as I have to completely depend on tankers. Do tanker guys entertain under construction buildings as they have to make more frequent trips and I guess they are pretty busy already?
sreejith6628

Post by sreejith6628 »

@kiran4924.

The starting price of 56 is only a hogwash. you cost would escalate when u are goind further down. Also they would rip you with casing. You would not really be able to identify till when it is needed and you would have to go with the word of the driller and they will usually jack it up there. They would ensure that cost touches allmost 2L just for drilling alone around 1100 to 1200 Ft. After that additional 1L is for motor, 20K HDPE pipe and Wiring, Starter etc
ragalax

Post by ragalax »

Yes for construction you have to purchage water tankers.
you can by a 3000 ltr tank (kaveri or syntex) and use it till your sump is ready.
once the sump is ready take the tank away from site and keep it safly when your house is almost done you can use it as a over head tank.

2 years back when a tanker @ 300 rs, it costed me around 65000 for purchasing the water for a G+3 floor house on a 40x60 site.
for you it should be less than 50000.
Note: purchase a half HP motor for curing, if you for 1 hp lot of water will get wasted.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Kiran,
As suggested by others don't go for borewell if its at 1000' and below. The cost of drilling is just 25%, casing, pipe, motor are 75% the cost . Around 1000' deep will cost you min 3Lac.
I would strongly suggest invest money on rain water than on bore-well or cauvery. In long cauvery water will be rationed for sure and they supply for basic drinking purpose only.
You should make max size rainwater sump. A terrace area of 1200 sft you can built min 10-12k liter rain sump alone.
All my projects right from 2008 we made min 6-7k liter rainwater sumps and it suffice a family of 4-6 for 4 months minimum with out tankers or cauvery.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr
kiran4924

Post by kiran4924 »

Thanks for your suggestion Praveen. Do we need 2 separate sumps, i.e 1 for rainwater and 1 for cauvery? What can the rainwater be used for? Will this also mean separate overhead tanks, plumbing etc? What would be the cost?
navhe

Post by navhe »

Hi Kiran,
Me too resident of Gubbalala area. I agree with others recommendation that - *NOT* to go for borewell.
Corporation water will come in a year or two. You can easily manage with Tankers during construction.
If you are not concerned with money but want to have own source of water (give it a try kind of) - then i would suggest 'dig for max 600ft'.
I have the experience of drilling bore-well and my gut feeling is - usually u get water by 600ft deapth which should be sufficient for personal use.
Beyond that point, chances of great water source is a myth and it is only gain for borewell company. Also, pump, electricity cum running cost doubles.
kiran4924

Post by kiran4924 »

navhe wrote:Hi Kiran,
Me too resident of Gubbalala area. I agree with others recommendation that - *NOT* to go for borewell.
Corporation water will come in a year or two. You can easily manage with Tankers during construction.
If you are not concerned with money but want to have own source of water (give it a try kind of) - then i would suggest 'dig for max 600ft'.
I have the experience of drilling bore-well and my gut feeling is - usually u get water by 600ft deapth which should be sufficient for personal use.
Beyond that point, chances of great water source is a myth and it is only gain for borewell company. Also, pump, electricity cum running cost doubles.
HI Naveen,

Thanks for your inputs. I have got feedback from few residents in my patch that the depth is anywhere around 800-900ft and water quality is pretty bad. Few ppl have constructed houses without borewells. Cost definitely becomes a factor if it goes upto or beyond 3L, but my concern is the returns. If the point doesn't have consistent yield over the years then it would be a wrong decision.

Return to “Civil Construction”