Concrete Bonding

vv6789

Concrete Bonding

Post by vv6789 »

Hi,
Yesterday we did footing at my 30*40 site and i got suspicious and was concerned with high water mixing in the concrete. The footing was done for 2 feet. When i raised this concern, engineer suggested for my satisfaction i can do another half feet of concrete over and above what was laid yesterday. Yesterdays' laid concrete is also dry. i am unsure if there will be any advantage of laying additionally 6 inch concrete now? Even if i do, will the fresh concrete bond with yesterdays laid concrete? If i do fresh another layer of 6 inch, will it impact negatively to my building. Thanks for replies and views from learned members.

Regards
VV
Visualizer

Re: Concrete Bonding

Post by Visualizer »

I think it is useless to pour another 6 inch concrete without reinforcement , as concrete provides compressive strength and steel tensile. Though being at the bottom you may not have any negative impact of extra load.
Check with a civil engineer.

Why dont you go for RMC for pillars and slab to avoid such issues henceforth.
ragalax

Re: Concrete Bonding

Post by ragalax »

VV,
maximum water that you can apply per a bag of cement is 25 liters.
Some mason and gang labor for getting done their job easyly they pour more water, so that it can travel through the sheet for a long distance easyly and falls in the footing pit.
this is not recommendable but dangerous act. if your aim is to attain M20 or M25 then with more water addition to the mixer you will never be able to attain it. from next time make sure water is getting applied as per the requirement.
and applying one more 6 inches concreate doesn’t make any sense it is just waste of time and money.

Civil engineer has to go by book and his experience he should not do somethings which are not required just for satisfaction of the customers,
he/she should do it first time right, in most of the case in civil works, we will not get 2nd chance.

Return to “Civil Construction”