Contractor negligence and he wants to back out now

Stars

Contractor negligence and he wants to back out now

Post by Stars »

Dear members,

Wanted to update you all on the status of my construction work and wanted to thank all the members of the forum who helped me in my tough time.

We settled with the contractor after casting the gf slab.

Now I have asked my relative to proceed with the construction. He has quoted rs 150 extra per sqft ft now for the same previous specs. Few important ones are

1. Granite flooring (rs 100 psf)
2. Slag sand ( for entire CONSTRUCTION)
3. SS railing
4. Glass balcony.
5. GM or Elle hi fi switches.
6. Parryware or hindware fittings
7. Red sal ( main door is teak however).

For the existing construction (ie till gf moulding), new contractor has considered 55% of ground floor construction.

I have no much idea about slag sand. I donno how will the plastering and strength come out.

Keeping my fingers crossed this time.

We have applied for temporary connection again as it was disconnected due to this long gap. Will keep you all posted.

Do share your views if any.
Thanks again
Last edited by Stars on February 1st, 2018, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naveenraj123

Re: Contractor negligence and he wants to back out now

Post by Naveenraj123 »

Hi, this is a very common problem, there are many idiots masquerading as contractors where as all they are in reality are material handlers ..

Do a simple calc of how much materials he has brought to site (including what's already used play what's at site) this includes cement sand tmt etc. I'm assuming you have paid only 6 lakhs till now and he has done paaya work + built wall until lintel level and then put centring for mould ? If so ask him to cast the slab and move out. Keep a good mestri and you order for materials , there are lot of reliable people out here who can help u with contacts for various materials.
Jagz

Post by Jagz »

It is good that you replace the contractor.. I think the risk is minimal at this stage. I would suggest you take an independent opinion of a structural engineer.. He might be able to suggest remedies regarding the room. ask your contractor to not cast the slab until you get the opinion of a structural engineer.
Stars

Post by Stars »

Naveenraj123 wrote:Hi, this is a very common problem, there are many idiots masquerading as contractors where as all they are in reality are material handlers ..

Do a simple calc of how much materials he has brought to site (including what's already used play what's at site) this includes cement sand tmt etc. I'm assuming you have paid only 6 lakhs till now and he has done paaya work + built wall until lintel level and then put centring for mould ? If so ask him to cast the slab and move out. Keep a good mestri and you order for materials , there are lot of reliable people out here who can help u with contacts for various materials.
Thanks for the response. Contractor is currently not coming to meet us. Will wait till tomorrow and call him again.

I will keep the mybdasites members posted on the same.
Stars

Post by Stars »

Jagz wrote:It is good that you replace the contractor.. I think the risk is minimal at this stage. I would suggest you take an independent opinion of a structural engineer.. He might be able to suggest remedies regarding the room. ask your contractor to not cast the slab until you get the opinion of a structural engineer.
Thanks jagz for your reply.

I have mailed the structure engg who had designed the building with my concern. Lemme see if he can give me some solution. Although I know the structure engg is contractor's guy.:-)
rithick

Post by rithick »

Would advise you to double check with another structural engineer for getting more clarity that way you are safeguarding thoughts and minimize the impact of the existing setup.

thanks, Rithick.
umeshguru

Post by umeshguru »

What is the contractor name?
It is early stage, if you and contractor are not in good alignment, it is better to come out.
Stars

Post by Stars »

The contractor is a person who generally does the construction in the close vicinity in the area I stay. He is not having any ofc or company.

My father met him today. Contractor says that we owe him another 2lac apart from the money we have given earlier. He will finish ground floor moulding. And will raise the pillars the lintel and go.

He is charging around 17 percent of the total construction cost. I donno how geniune his calculation is. It will be of great help if some one can throw some light on this.

My dream home construction has halted indefinitely.:-((
thankulns

Post by thankulns »

Hi..
1.Before taking any decision first valuate the work executed by your contractor till date and get the proofing done by third party(Architect/structural engr)
2.Site with your Architect and check what is the deviation done at site and plan it with him what are the different ways you can rectify.since urs is a cross site.
3.Check the column alignment and other basic things.
Naveenraj123

Post by Naveenraj123 »

Stars wrote:The contractor is a person who generally does the construction in the close vicinity in the area I stay. He is not having any ofc or company.

My father met him today. Contractor says that we owe him another 2lac apart from the money we have given earlier. He will finish ground floor moulding. And will raise the pillars the lintel and go.

He is charging around 17 percent of the total construction cost. I donno how geniune his calculation is. It will be of great help if some one can throw some light on this.

My dream home construction has halted indefinitely.:-((
))

Tell him to put mould and go, no need to raise until linthel levels. Don't pay him anything. You have already paid him excess

Return to “Civil Construction”