Water at 4ft depth in ground

Stars

Water at 4ft depth in ground

Post by Stars »

I have a question related to foundation and columns.

When we dug the site for the columns, we saw a lot of water at around 4ft depth itself.

My contractor told me that it's quite common and continued with the work without taking any further precaution. He didn't rework on the structural plan.

Now our construction has reached plinth. But my worry is that the entire g+3 floor building is standing on the water bed literally.

Is there any way with which I can find out if the building is structurally safe?

Please let me know if this is normal or not.

Is it required to take some extra precautions.

I request all the experts to plz help me.
rajesh113_ch

Re: Water at 4ft depth in ground

Post by rajesh113_ch »

Stars,
did you get the soil testing done, i think no!
finding water at 4 feet to 8 feet level is not common generally you may find it for the site on lake bed.
This is dangerous (don't be panic) is there any structural engineer involved in the process? i think no!
please consult a structural engineer and explain him about the same take his suggestion.
I have built 3 houses on the this kind of soil there we did following things
1. soling ( 1 to 2 feet level based on how bad is the soil)
2. Engineer suggested bigger footing sizes (so that pressure spreads cross the area) so less chance of settling crocks.
3. once we changed the footing mat rod dimension also, generally people will try to use 10 or 12 mm but we had use mat with 20mm rod for G+3 building where SBC around 14.
4. if soil is very bad we have done all the above .
it not too late take proper advice from engineer and proceed to the next stage of construction only after his advice.
if you need any help to find structural engineer's number let the forum member know they will help you with the contact numbers.
Santhi

Post by Santhi »

stage 1
1.is it Soil investigation is done.
2.who prepares structural drawings.
3. you have structural drawings can you share it. to understand foundation design.
Stars

Post by Stars »

Thanks a lot Rajesh and Santhi for the reply.

I have attached the footing and columns drawing. These drawings are provided my the structural engineer of the contractor.

Please let me know your thoughts on the same. Also, if any extra information is required from my side. I also have each days progress of construction photos with me which my hubby takes at the end of day.

Fyi, the soil testing was not done.
Attachments
IMG-20171116-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20171116-WA0020.jpg (67.15 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
IMG-20171116-WA0019.jpg
IMG-20171116-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20171116-WA0018.jpg (106.96 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
Santhi

Post by Santhi »

Hi

The structural engineer assumed SBC 18T/Sq.m by his knowledge and experience. ( As Data is not available to him. To confirm this you have to soil test to arrive how much his assumption are nearer to his design. This is the scientific method to proceed and conclude the assumed design value is correct or not. otherwise it will be inconclusive debate around your might . is it correct or not. soil test report also reflect type of soil which will help to acess what type of failures it can cause and remedy can be arrived.

kindly send if you have copy of concrete mix provided by the rmc. ASK THEM BATCH REPORT. WHICH WILL GIVE THE MATTER AILS qty Used.

also SEND THE MANUAL CONCRETE CEMENT CONSUMPTION FOR THE 5 FOOTINGS ABLE TO COMMENT ON DESIGN MIX

YOU CAN REACH ME ON krishnan_nagarajan@rediffmail.com

Return to “Civil Construction”