Aluminium window maintainance

rsharma_champ

Aluminium window maintainance

Post by rsharma_champ »

I had finalized on aluminium windows for my house, however after reading a bit I am worried about their maintenance. e.g. what if the powder coating peels off or anodized layer breaks down? Can it be re-painted?

Earlier I had though of going with uPVC but ditched that option considering > 20 years lifespan of aluminium windows. But now I feel that wooden windows can have the longest lifespan with frequent paintings (every 3-4 years, the reason for which I had not chosen them earlier).

Please suggest if wooden is the best choice considering 30-40 years of lifespan?

Thanks
Rahul
rsharma_champ

Re: Aluminium window maintainance

Post by rsharma_champ »

Did some more research and visited lots of factories / workshop, finally selected Domal-40 aluminium windows (1.4-1.5 mm sheet thickness) with 25 micron anodized coating. No maintenance needed at all.
hrsn

Post by hrsn »

I think that is the best option. What are the quotations you got?
Harish
rsharma_champ

Post by rsharma_champ »

Rate is a bit high, almost 900 per sqft. However considering no maintenance at all it is cheaper in long term.
ganeshncm

Post by ganeshncm »

Can you please tell me more about from whom purchased the windows/door or got it fabricated ?
rsharma_champ wrote:Did some more research and visited lots of factories / workshop, finally selected Domal-40 aluminium windows (1.4-1.5 mm sheet thickness) with 25 micron anodized coating. No maintenance needed at all.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Sharma,
In aluminium or UPVC things to be checked
1. EPDM sealing tapes
2. Metal gauge / thickness
3. Metal reinforcement used in UPVC windows
4. Hardware locks and hinges used
5. Glass thickness and options
6. Water drain facility from the sliding & casement channels
7. Installation team coordination and demands they have like scaffolding, shifting, storing, damage, timelines etc.

Domal-40 is one good option in aluminium windows. You can check for other brands too in the market, few of them i am listing down here.
kalcoindia.com -
eterniawindows.com/ - Hindalco
ArmorRite - security mesh doors and windows
odaville.com

Note: I am no way related to above brands nor interested in marketing them. Please do proper market survey before you finalize with any material / brand

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr

Return to “Civil Construction”