Wood for Building House

vizz

Wood for Building House

Post by vizz »

Hi,
My Engineer is saying we can use GUM Sal wood for Door, windows both for frames and shutters. Also he mentioned we can polish the same similar to Teak. So need your inputs. Also if not sal for Shutters then can we use second teak with polish for both frames(SAl wood) and shutters(second teak) polished?

Also for Bore wells can use Plastic pipes for casing what the thickness are suggested?
swamy_blr

Re: Wood for Building House

Post by swamy_blr »

Hi,

Your Engineer is correct, GUM Sal Wood is best compared to Other Woods, but availability of GUM Sal is the Problem. You won't get it now.
If you get it from any Timber Depo, just go ahead and take it. Ensure it is GUM Sal wood and not something different. Inform your Engineer to Validate it if you got any Lot.

For Sal Wood you can Polish it but Sal wood is not meant for Polished, you should go with Paint only else it is not perfect. If you really need Polished wood for Frame/Shutters then take a look at Honne Wood (Cost - 1800 - 2000) and looks good with Polish as well.

Other Option is you can go with Ghana Teak (Range 2500 - 2800) Per CFT, you can Polish it both Frames & Shutters.

Borewell - For Top 2 - 3 Length (20 - 40 Feet) I suggest you go with Metal Casing Pipe and there after that you can go with Plastic Pipes (6" Dia).
As Casing cover, NRV, Hooks etc.. needs to fixed on the Casing Pipe itself and also during the Repair work of Motor during lifting and the load of Pipe should withstand - Metal Casing will take care of this Load.

rgds
Swamy
girishshk

Post by girishshk »

If you are having too many windows, and if you can get good Neem in timber depot, it is the best one and also cost saving only for windows.
I was into SAL for All before, then i got good neem for 900cft and went through it and believe me, after painting the windows its strong and hard.
I have also attached in my reviews those pictures (Neem-Windows Frames, sal- shutters and door frames,teak Main door)
Polishing is a bad idea for windows, since windows are always in contact with rains and oil paint suits very well for sal and neem.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=7365
sc_new

Post by sc_new »

What is Malaysian teak , is it same as second teak. What would be the cost of it
ganpath_blr

Post by ganpath_blr »

Any feedback on Nilambur teak for main door frame, my contractor knows a timber dealer having Nilambur teak. What will be good price per cuft and how is it compared to Hunsur/Dandelli teak?
He has recommended Sal for other door/window frames and Honne for shutter and I have specifically asked for Gum sal based on the forum recommendation. How to find out that it is Gum sal? And are there different types of Honne and which is recommended for Shutter?
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Nilambur teak should be best it has GI tag protection. Rolls-Royce fabricate interiors of cars using only real Nilambur teak as it is rarest and costliest, I have never seen it in person.
Ordinary mortals only get farmed teak or even worse ghana/African teak sold as Indian.

Return to “Civil Construction”