Water Softener

Armchair_general

Re: Water Softener

Post by Armchair_general »

I have a resin based water softener. It needs a salt refill every 20000 lts. I do have Kaveri water connection, but I use the water softener by default.

Connection from the sump goes to the tank room where the softener is installed, and the softened water goes to water tank and Solar pump.

Advantages:

1. Water tastes really good in my Kent RO. As good as Bisleri.
2. All my taps are shining as good as new.
3. Zero scaling in my bathrooms.
4. No powdery scales on the skin. Post bath, skin is all soft and hairfall has reduced.
5. Clothes in the washing machine are all soft post-drying.

Disadvantages:
Water waste when refilling the salt.
Even a tiny amount of soap generates huge amount of soapy effect. If you were using one mug to wash your hands, softened water needs 5 mugs to get rid of excess soap.
Have to call up the guy to come every month and refill, so that is there.
Bathroom floors will be slippery if the floors are not wiped clean. I book bathroom cleaners, once a month to scrub the floors clean so that they dont become too slippery.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Rainwater has all these good qualities, without any expense, treatment whatsoever.

I have been experiencing these qualities by using rainwater exclusively over the last SEVEN years.

To avoid the necessity of using huge amount of water to remove the soap, it is enough if only very little soap is used.

There is no necessity to use any RO purifier with rainwater as the entire rainwater is of better than RO quality water.

In fact RO water is mildly acidic and hence tastes sweet. It is better that the water is alkalized for drinking purposes (which then will have a mild bitter taste), as it will neutralize the body acidity for which we now spend huge amount of money for buying anti oxidant foods.

As far as I know, acidity is the root cause of all diseases, including cancer.
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Minerals are a vital necessity. Initial RO filters even removed minerals.however later RO filters now allow minerals which are necessary for body (at least as claimed ) .
Attachments
IMG_20211002_183409.jpg
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

What is claimed needs to be trusted. Unfortunately, RO purifiers are in use for more than 20 years and supposed to dispense potable water. All minerals were removed and water rendered acidic. People were made to believe that RO water is the best water for drinking.

It all depends what minerals the input water contains. If the input water contains harmful substances like heavy metals and fluoride, etc., whether these will be removed or will be there in the output. There is no mention whether the output water will be alkaline or will become acidic.

For cauvery water, RO purifier is not required. Simple UV purifier to neutralize the baceria is enough. But people have been lead to believe that high priced RO purifiers only guarantee potable water. Crores are spent in publicity and this has lead the urban population to believe that without RO purifier they would not be drinking pure water.

Now, what are the minerals that are required by the body and present in the input water? If we eat balanced food, all the necessary minerals would be available in it and there is no necessity for any supplement, either through the water or by way of tablets.

The mineral in water that body needs is Calcium and in traces Magnesium and iron and this is the major content causing hardness of water. People tend to remove it by using water softeners and RO purifiers.

For those who need these minerals and which is not available in the rainwater (which the purest form of water in the water cycle, devoid of any pollutants including minerals), it is available in Lime that is used with Pan (betel leaves). A pinch of this lime may be consumed easily with curds or curd rice (for those who need it or feel they need). The issue of minerals is completely solved without spending any money.

The more important aspect is the mild acidity of RO water (pH less than 7). There is no mention anywhere that the output of the new generation RO purifier would be alkaline to the extent of pH being in the range of 8.5 to 10. Most of the food that we eat are acidic in nature, thus causing acidity in the body.

It is very much necessary to ensure that the drinking water is alkaline, which would in turn reduce the body acidity.

Rain water (which is natural RO water) can be put through an UV purifier to neutralize the bacterial content, if any and then made alkaline to the desired extent for drinking purposes.

UN has called for banning all RO purifiers.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

What is TDS control? TDS is caused by the minerals. When the water is put through RO process, it automatically removes the TDS, i.e. all minerals. Now people believe in publicity. These RO manufacturers have cheated people for more than 20 years. How can we trust them now?
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Very good post. Appreciate your knowledge on the subject matter
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Thank you.
Rain water is the real luxury. Highly pure. No micro plastics. Fit for every purpose.
Tap water is the polluted rain water which is purified and supplied at enormous cost, but is highly subsidized.
Ground water has very high TDS (high level of pollution).
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

Armchair_general wrote:
October 1st, 2021, 9:29 pm
Advantages:

1. Water tastes really good in my Kent RO. As good as Bisleri.
2. All my taps are shining as good as new.
3. Zero scaling in my bathrooms.
4. No powdery scales on the skin. Post bath, skin is all soft and hairfall has reduced.
5. Clothes in the washing machine are all soft post-drying.

Disadvantages:
Water waste when refilling the salt.
Even a tiny amount of soap generates huge amount of soapy effect. If you were using one mug to wash your hands, softened water needs 5 mugs to get rid of excess soap.
Have to call up the guy to come every month and refill, so that is there.
Bathroom floors will be slippery if the floors are not wiped clean. I book bathroom cleaners, once a month to scrub the floors clean so that they dont become too slippery.
Thank you ArmchairGeneral for your detailed response.
It helps in deciding to go for one. Still not sure on automatic vs. manual.

While automatic makes life easy, not sure if they are more prone to failure.

Return to “Civil Construction”