Plan To Start Construction

Armchair_general

Re: Plan To Start Construction

Post by Armchair_general »

Those are external tiles.
Armchair_general

Three years completed, our home has been the perfect refuge for us to survive this pandemic. WFH has never been easier.

For regular maintenance, I bought a pressure washer to clean the balcony tiles and staircase. Due to pandemic, we had to postpone interior decorations and lighting. Still use basic led bulbs and functional curtains.

Another round of interior furniture is pending. Just not confident looking at the current third wave.
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

Good to hear that.
Looking at the 3rd wave trend, I hope you would be able to get through the next round of furnishing soon.
Armchair_general

Once the house is occupied, check for grouting in the bathrooms especially in the first floors and above. Had to fix some leakage. Plumber said, tile work is not great, tiles guy said that water pipe is leaking.

Called up Rajesh (my contractor) to come down when he is free. After close observation, he recommended grouting. He sent the guy who laid the tiles for my home. It was a quick 10 minutes job to complete the grouting.

Now there is no leakage.

I am planning to check every two years to see if there are any gaps between tiles.
Armchair_general

Few updates after living in our dream home for 4 years+ now.

1. Due to loose composure of the soil and settling issues, there were few cracks appearing in the joints and walls. There was water seepage and I observed wet spots in the walls during Winter last year.

2. Grouting between elevation tiles had reduced. Again absorbing the excess rain water and seeping inside walls which was observed in the rooms.

3. Completed the final round of furnishing. The rates have gone through the roof and there is a acute shortage of skilled workers who could maintain standards before pandemic.

To address the water seepage, I put up terrace covers using JSW sheets and metal fabrications. Covered the sides with blinds. I then went one step further and made it a place of relaxation and fun. Added a projector screen, tava lights, swing, artificial grass and desert cooler.

So now with the JSW sheets protruding 2 feet from the edges of the building, water falling on the walls has reduced 90%. I will know this winter if there is any further water seepage.
Armchair_general

Attaching a few pics
This is how the blinds look
Shed-1.jpg
shed-2.jpg

We watch movies in the weekend with our projector
projector.jpg
projector.jpg (118.88 KiB) Viewed 20743 times
Armchair_general

I feel with the elevation design and threat of minor cracks, I need to do grouting once in two years and fill the gaps else the threat of water seepage will ensure that damage will happen to the building.
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

the entertainment room looks nice.
have you tried some sealer for external cladding from companies like laticrete?
Armchair_general

rjblr wrote:
August 15th, 2023, 4:18 pm
the entertainment room looks nice.
have you tried some sealer for external cladding from companies like laticrete?
I am exploring a long term solution. As a short term fix I have used tile grouting.

The other problem is finding labour who are skilled, patient and ready to take short term work like this is difficult.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Armchair
Permanent solution for cladding seepage is only way to use epoxy filling if the seepage is from the joint gaps.
Some times the seepage happens from the cladding material also, like clay tiles hold water during rains and leave it in to the wall during rainy seasons especially. For these issues you can use transparent water repellant nano coatings available in the market. These nano coatings need to applied every 5 years depending up on wear and tear.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.instagram.com/ardesarchitects
www.ardesarchitects.in ( Re launching soon )

Return to “Civil Construction”