Is it worth to have an Architect for construction inspection

princeap

Is it worth to have an Architect for construction inspection

Post by princeap »

Hi all,

Need your suggestion on this.
I'm planning to finalize my agreement with contractor. Before that I want to know whether it is worth/needed to have the construction inspection by my Architect?
Architect will charge roughly some 1.5 lakh for that.

My contractor is somewhat is reliable..did works for one of friend and for one relative.

rgds,
Prince
hegde19

Re: Is it worth to have an Architect for construction inspec

Post by hegde19 »

Prince,

If your floor plan/working plan is complicated its better you keep the architect service. But if its simple, contractors know how to execute given all the related drawings. We are doing construction just with complete drawings and our contractor is able to follow exact drawings as expected.

-Santosh
kumarraja

Post by kumarraja »

You need the structural engineer to inspect the site rather than an architect. Structure is the backbone of your building.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi ,
I am not sure if architect inspection is worth or not for your specific case unless we know the complexity of the design, but i can only suggest you to understand what an architect /structural engineer / mason does in site .

1.Architect - one who design the entire building and then get the steel details from structural engineer as per his design
2.Structural engineer - one who gives steel details as per the architects design
3.Mason - One who constructs as per the dwg and specs given by architect not structural engineer

Now you need to decide what is more important to your builiding .
Architect will check if everything is going as per his design, execution specs and quality agreed up on at all the levels ( footings, columns, slab, electrcial, plumbing, tiles, painting, flooring etc) .
Structural engineer will check steel and size of columns ,beams ,slab as per his design .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
bloremanager

Post by bloremanager »

Architect cannot advise you on any structural integrity. Only a qualified and licensed structural engineer can do that.
If you are conversant with construction methods, then supervision from the architect is not necessary. If you are totally clueless or has half baked knowledge and understanding, ask to have an onsite supervisor from the architect's side to inspect. This inspection can be for once every 1 week or 2 days per week or 5 days per week until the project is complete. The supervision costs will vary depending on the committment you require.
It would be a good idea to ask the architect which other projects they are handling at the current moment and how many supervisors are there on the ground and location of these projects. It should give you a good idea if the architect can handle your project (supervisory side), road distance to cover every project (believe me, it takes a lot of time to go from site to site) and is not juggling too many projects which may put you at a disadvantage
tech4pk

Post by tech4pk »

I would suggest you to have your Structural engineer reviewing the construction, atleast till the roofing. Architecture might not be need when you have the full plan in detail. But, if you are having complex designs, where your masons are having tough time to interpret, then having couple of visits by Architects at various stages helps.
gsrini52

Re: Is it worth to have an Architect for construction inspection

Post by gsrini52 »

I have a question inline with this topic. Can some one tell me what is the role of a civil consultant? I already have architect who is also providing structural drawings and both will be visiting site during construction. What exactly does civil consultant do?
Jagz

Post by Jagz »

Structural engineers usually inspect the steel at footing and roofing stages..Architects would inspect a lot of design elements like pergola, cased entrance, stairs and the overall adherence to the design.
ganeshncm

Post by ganeshncm »

Our architect helped me get structural design as well as check quality, and help coordinate various tasks. Once civil work gets over, coordination gets very complex, architect helps very much. Also, choosing the right material for elevation, flooring etc also is a complex exercise, with way too many options and price points. Architect also helps in there
Raju091117

Post by Raju091117 »

What will be cost of architector for 1200 sq ft G+1 floor

Return to “Civil Construction”