Bad Day in Construction of House - Pillars looks terrible

Pratap

Re: Bad Day in Construction of House - Pillars looks terribl

Post by Pratap »

Hi,
I really surprised with such outcome and feel sorry for you. I would like visit your site and understand the problem and corrective measures taken. I stay in KR Puram. Could you please send your contact details.

Thanks,
Pratap
Praveenb

Post by Praveenb »

Thanks Kaukix, Jult, Venky, ausraja, and Praveen for suggestions..

Yesterday got structural engineer, Contractor and Mastry on site. Structural engineer was shocked to see such type of work on columns. He mentioned that he had not seen such failures in his experience.

He examined the columns carefully along with hammer test. And came to below conclusion on root cause.
> Concrete mixing ratio - excess water
- Excess water in the column drains down along with cement leaving sand and jelly.
- Thats why traces of only sand & jelly seen at many places
> Inadequate mixing & Vibration

> He recommended to demolish 10 columns out of 12. Other two columns were perfectly fine.
He suggested not to go for any fixing methods on existing columns. Any fixing method would not give the load bearing capacity same as original. Moreover risk is very high because these columns are on the ground floor.

Contractor fully agreed with the suggestions and started demolishing columns. Already 4 columns being demolished.
In fact contractor had suggested the same before structural engineer's visit. He is very much disappointed with Mastry's work.
He mentioned to ensure quality on priority.

What went wrong according to me:
> Mastry had planned two major jobs(40 mm jelly concrete on flooring 1500sqft & column boxes fixing and pouring concrete) on a single day to save money on labour. Used machine mixing gang for above.
obviously gang will try to complete work quickly without mixing properly.

@ Pratap: planning demolish other columns today itself. I had sent you my contact number. If you wish to visit.. Pls visit today.

Thanks,
Praveen
Attachments
20150924_173250.jpg
ausraja

Post by ausraja »

I think its a very correct decision praveen , defenitely its piece of mind now.
Praveenb

Post by Praveenb »

Yes... Its a great relief. I don't have to worry about the mistake in columns for rest of my life.

Yesterday removed column boxes, all the columns have come out very well. Contractor was present whole day while mixing the concrete and ensured everything is correct.

Attached pictures of few pillars.... curing of columns started

Thanks,
Praveen
Attachments
20150926_155842.jpg
20150926_123325.jpg
kaukix

Post by kaukix »

Great news Praveenb.
Glad that issue could get sorted.
ausraja

Post by ausraja »

Great News.How many floors are u building the quantity of steel used looks limited but the parking space looks big for a multi floor.
Praveenb

Post by Praveenb »

Thanks,
Praveen
Last edited by Praveenb on September 27th, 2015, 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Praveenb

Post by Praveenb »

Thanks Kaukix & ausraja.. :)

@ ausraja, structure is designed for G+3 floors. Current plan is to construct G+1 only.
Columns in the pictures are in the back which uses 12mm dia rods. All other columns consists of of 16 mm dia rods.

Parking space is designed for three cars in parallel. No column in the middle of site which you may notice in the picture.

Thanks,
Praveen
rajbce

Post by rajbce »

Congrats Praveen. Certainly you came out from a big nightmare which light have lasted life long.
Hope this does not happen to you again and to anyone. We know what hard earned money means.
I am not sure who is going to bear the cost incurred again on pillars?
Praveenb

Post by Praveenb »

Thanks Rajbee!
Yes.. I am out of big nightmare.. now i can have peaceful sleep life long. :)
It's a Material contract. So Contractor has to bear the cost. I thought it is obvious... so didn't discuss on this point with contractor.

Thanks,
Praveen

Return to “Civil Construction”