Advice on Glass Blocks

gsNagesh

Advice on Glass Blocks

Post by gsNagesh »

I have an internal staircase landing extended by 15 inches or so from the outer walls. The extended part is covered by single brick wall (as its the site boundary). For ventilation the extended sides on either side the walls we are planning for fixed windows. some people are suggesting to go for 7x7 glass blocks. Being exposed to outside are these glass blocks safe or should I go with grilled wooden frames with glass fixed? Kindly suggest.
-Ngs.
Attachments
20150213_103545.jpg
tech4pk

Re: Advice on Glass Blocks

Post by tech4pk »

I have seen Glass Blocks/Glass Bricks being used cases like yours. Also, i'm using the same in my balcony and I don't see any issues with that. They are sturdy like bricks and gives good ventilation.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
Glass block is as strong as raw brick but not as wall.Since glass blocks are fixed using silicon that has 10-15 years max life . I suggest you to place some simple Ms rods as security measures .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects
gsNagesh

Post by gsNagesh »

Dear Praveen, tech4pk;

Thanks for the advises. will go ahead with glass blocks and use re-bars between the glass-blocks as mentioned by MR.Praveen,
ardesarchitects

Hi Nagesh
You cannot place Ms rods in between the glass block , i mean to place MS rods in wall directly after or before glass blocks( with min 2" gap for cleaning) as per your requirement .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
www.ardesarchitects.com
gsNagesh

Post by gsNagesh »

Please find the attached picture, which shows usage of rebars between the glass blocks.
Attachments
xddfcf490b82544bfe96965cc3a6f94dfcd8c6ff2.gif.pagespeed.ic.XhThiaRlmj.png
xddfcf490b82544bfe96965cc3a6f94dfcd8c6ff2.gif.pagespeed.ic.XhThiaRlmj.png (22.67 KiB) Viewed 7557 times
ardesarchitects

Hi Nagesh
To my knowledge i doubt if you can get this specific glass blocks in Indian market.In general the glass blocks are made with silicon fixing detail with a gap of max 6mm.
In any case you can try in the market .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
www.ardesarchitects.com
gsNagesh

Post by gsNagesh »

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for the reply. I got your point.
BTW can we lay glass blocks and RCC layers alternatively to achieve the ventilation and security.
one row of glass blocks then a 5 inches thick RCC and then glass blocks .... like wise.

Will this option feasible. I understand for glass blocks and RCC workers are different and glass block masonry expects exact dimensions.

= Nagesh.

Return to “Civil Construction”