URGENT: Custom size BWP flush door/Plywood of 30mm

biddappa_c_b

URGENT: Custom size BWP flush door/Plywood of 30mm

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Hi All, I am on the lookout for doors(external doors, bathroom, bedroom) and am in fix. Many of the doors are custom sizes and difficult to get the sizes I want like 72 1/2*27, 73 1/2*27, 82 1/2*33, 80*33, 80*22 1/2, 80*23 1/4 etc. I need waterproof doors and 30mm. Do anyone of you know any contacts in Bangalore who can help build custom size doors for the above size or should I use BWP plywood for the same? If BWP plywood, would you get 25 mm or 30 mm for the above sizes? Do you know anyone who can help me with the above? or Any suggestions. I need to procure the doors in the next 10 days. Any help from anyone appreciated. Thanks
zahid

Re: URGENT: Custom size BWP flush door/Plywood of 30mm

Post by zahid »

@biddappa - Not sure if you have already purchased the doors. You can definitely get custom size water proof flush doors;

I used AK flush doors (water proof) made of pine wood, for all doors; Hard wood flush doors are relatively cheaper, but my engineer suggested to use pine wood flush doors, which are around 20 rupees more per sq. ft. when compared to hard wood ones
riturajmnit

Post by riturajmnit »

How much does it costs ??
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

Doing flush door with plywood is typically not done with 1 sheet , 2 sheets are glued together , its more practical than ordering 30mm one. doing doors with bwp plywood is a expensive affair and you will end up with a heavy plain looking door , what do you do for edges, it will chip and break eventually.

Hardwood doors are not waterproof, you can water proof to a extent by painting it or cover with membrane\skin . Again the issue is with the edges,skin\membrane do not extend to edges.

WoodPlasticComposite is a fantastic option, where the material itself is solid , light weight , water proof. 2 wpc sheets(15mm) will be glued together and top sheet will routed with a panel pattern or any custom pattern. Nikki doors does this for custom sizes.(may be around 200psft) or you can source these sheets from Plamedra (wpc supplier to Nikki doors) and get your carpenter to finish the door,just like your plywood one.
riturajmnit

Post by riturajmnit »

Nivas wrote:Doing flush door with plywood is typically not done with 1 sheet , 2 sheets are glued together , its more practical than ordering 30mm one. doing doors with bwp plywood is a expensive affair and you will end up with a heavy plain looking door , what do you do for edges, it will chip and break eventually.

Hardwood doors are not waterproof, you can water proof to a extent by painting it or cover with membrane\skin . Again the issue is with the edges,skin\membrane do not extend to edges.

WoodPlasticComposite is a fantastic option, where the material itself is solid , light weight , water proof. 2 wpc sheets(15mm) will be glued together and top sheet will routed with a panel pattern or any custom pattern. Nikki doors does this for custom sizes.(may be around 200psft) or you can source these sheets from Plamedra (wpc supplier to Nikki doors) and get your carpenter to finish the door,just like your plywood one.

what is life of WPC ? and can it be fixed with chrome strip etc for aesthetics ??
Expected costing ?
rrprakash

Post by rrprakash »

@ Nivas,

Weather WPC frames are also available from Nikki or we need to use wooden frames only?

What is your opinion about PVC or FRP doors for bathroom application?

Regards
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

PVC : The PVC door \ frames is a old technology , it has several issues.
a)The PVC door / door assembled is also not sturdy, it will rattle and deform just after few uses. it does not close properly. The frames chip and crack.
b) The raw material is recycled PVC and are not manufactured with good practices, the plastizers and dioxins which are potent carcinogens(aka cancer causing) are released\ooze into your house over years. can affect children drastically, CPVC is a variant.
c) The fine soot \dust are electro statically deposited onto door,thanks to highly electrostrictive property of PVC. The door decolors quickly.

FPC: nowadays they make solid doors out of this, It is super heavy. After years, the door frames and doors thicken(the resin and fiber flow slowly\deform) in the bottom and they do not shut properly.They have properties just like glass aka supercooled liquid, they flow and deform irregularly.

Bathroom door frames and doors should be light and sturdy.
WPC(wood plastic composite) is a new age Composite, I have used it in my house .
it primarily comprises of Wood flour and HDPE. e3extrusions Peenya bangalore has hollow extruded frame\Jambs and Adowoods Indore make solid ones ,the solid ones should cost about 80 to 100 Rs /Rft. you can make Bathroom frames just like wood ones with your carpenter. It comes with rebate of 32mm, thickness of 45mm and width of 90mm and wood finish , ready to paint or polish(rawmaterial they cut it and give it whatever length you want,just like wood). These are 100% water proof and look like wood. There are several vendors of WPC sheets , WPC foam sheets etc, google it.
WPC sheets costs around 110 to 125/sft , just like your premium Plywood costs.Ask Nikki , they will do the frames if you want.
rrprakash

Post by rrprakash »

Thanks for the clarifications

Regards
vpbs_bak

Post by vpbs_bak »

Great info abt WPC.

Can it be used for external doors (sun, rain facing) ? I have two places I'm thinking this one of - one for the room under the OHT (overhead tank). Second is my backdoor. Also is it safe as an external door or does one require grills ?

thanks
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
Custom door sizes are not supplied by any vendor ,they have standard sizes in which there will be a provision to cut 1-2" on all the sides to match the exact size on site.
Its recommended not to buy exact size matching because each door frame has its own variations of 1/4" - 1/2" .Carpenter will set the doors as per the site conditions .

WPC is the one the trending options available in the market now a days.days. Wpc doors can be used for external purpose ,when they are making deck flooring for areas like swimming pools ,balconies, exterior cladding it can be used for doors too.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects

Return to “Civil Construction”