Request you to review the quotation received?

Chethankumar

Request you to review the quotation received?

Post by Chethankumar »

I have to start construction of my house on 20*34 west facing plot.
Plan: GF: Parking & a single bhk (small)
1st & 2nd : Duplex with 3 Bedrooms, 1Hall, 1Kitchen,3Bathrooms
Terrace: Head room

Attached is the quotation i got from an engineer.

Request you all to provide an input on Materials stated & amount quoted ?
Also any suggestion where can i save/get more out of it & Where can i baragain?
Attachments
Est-chethan-suresmayur-1.xlsx
Estimation_Quotation
(26.83 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
girish1984

Re: Request you to review the quotation received?

Post by girish1984 »

Your most of the money can be saved by not giving the project to Engineer. ;)

I feel the quotation for 20*30 site measurement is slightly high.You need to spend another 10-15 lakhs extra for the other items(mentioned at last in excel sheet) which are not included.Total will be around 45-48 lakhs and for 20*30,budget is high.

Do you know what are the materials he will be using ? (BirlaSuper cement ,PrimeGold/INDUS steel etc..)
I suggest you to get the quote from multiple engineers and compare the materials used by them.
girishd

Post by girishd »

Well, not all of us have the time/energy to do all the running around. So we choose contractors.

Like girish1984 mentioned, you can take quotes from couple of them and compare. Choose the contractor based on quality of his work done previously and not just go with the one who gives lowest quote.
Chethankumar

Post by Chethankumar »

Thanks for the input.

I saw couple of this contractor's construction and it made a good impression, so decided with him.
Again - it would be very helpful if someone tells me on points where i can negotiate in this quote.

Thanks
shastri.vs

Post by shastri.vs »

One thing I noticed while negotiating with my contractor. If you agree for his per chadar or sqft cost without much argument then they will be little flexible. My contractor agreed for some upgrades for the materials used. For ex: polishing the sal wood frame instead of painting, upgraded electric items, thickness of main door frame etc.
Its better to agree for their price and smartly upgrade the materials. Otherwise they will feel offensive and this may affect the quality of the construction. I have seen this happening to many of my friends.
Chethankumar

Post by Chethankumar »

Hi Shastri,

One more thing - as seen in the estimated he has mentioned VAT 4% Extra. do i need to pay that?
shastri.vs

Post by shastri.vs »

No need to pay that. They also mention contractor fees as 10% of total cost. This is a standard format, may be for the banks.
One more thing is if the site is small then they will increase the the rate. This is because the overall effort for the contractors will be same for a 2400sqft house and a 1200sqft house. So they will try to keep their net profit same for both cases.
shastri.vs

Post by shastri.vs »

You seems to have made your mind to go with him. But take some time(at least a month)before giving final go ahead even though you are not consulting any other.
Chethankumar

Post by Chethankumar »

when i called him up today, contractor said he will use
- Coramandel cement both 53(RCC & Concrete) & 43 for others.
- TMT Steel
- anything else i need to ask?

Again to make double sure of it.....can i tell him - VAT charges i will not pay?
gopikrishnamr

Post by gopikrishnamr »

VAT is applicable to the registered builder, if the contractor is operating on behalf of a firm and the firm is registered then they can charge the VAT, you may ask for VAT registration no.

Return to “Civil Construction”