Regarding AAC blocks

shriram

Regarding AAC blocks

Post by shriram »

Hello all,

I am going to start construction of my house in a couple of weeks. For the construction, I am thinking of using AAC blocks. I am thinking of this alternate material as this material supposedly has the advantage of both brick as well as solid blocks. My contractor quotes 20 to 25% higher rate for brick construction when compared with solid block construction. I wanted to go for brick mainly due to its thermal properties, but could not afford to it. He is okay to use AAC for 50 rupees extra per sqft. I could see that these blocks are light weight and have good thermal and sound insulation properties. On the negative side, this material is new to Bangalore's construction industry. If not built with proper techniques, it can lead to cracks. Has anyone in this forum used AAC for construction? Could you please provide feedback about AAC construction? What are the precautions that has to be taken to ensure that the cracks are minimal? Given the light weight of these blocks, would it be easier for burglars to break open the wall? And finally do you suggest to go for AAC or not?

Thanks in advance,
K. Shriram
hayabusa1208

Re: Regarding AAC blocks

Post by hayabusa1208 »

I would like to know regarding this too
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Realised that someone bumped old thread :mrgreen:
AAC is not new at all in bangalore its extensively used in multi story construction due to less weight and construction is much faster.

Thermal properties and also strength is better then red bricks. If you have to compare compressive strengths then in descending order

Stone masanory > Concrete Solid blocks > AAC > red bricks

AAC blocks are 24 inch in length ( breadth 8, 6 and 4 inches) and costs 80 to 83 rs per block whereas normal concrete blocks are 16 inch in length and 30 to 33 rs per block ( 200 mm block).

AAC is good for higher floors but should not be used for
subsoil or basements for that concrete solid blocks or flyash concrete block is better.

My personal take don't go by per sq feet method adding 50rs to brick wall. In fact red brick should be costlier.

There is no comparison with red brick masanory as brick is 9x3x4 size and labour and mortar needed for 9 inch brick wall is very high.

AAC blocks can be pasted with adhesive mixture which is quite thin compared to 15mm cement sand 1:6 mortar and labour is quite less.

Ask him quote for concrete solid block instead of bricks and offer to procure and supply AAC blocks.

If weight is not a consideration (G +1 or G +2) go for concrete solid blocks instead of brick or AAC.
ganeshncm

Post by ganeshncm »

Though there are lots of good things said about AAC, not all of it is true. I have used both blocks recently, here are some disadvantages of AAC

a. The blocks are quite brittle, about 10% of blocks break during transportation
b. Need to only cut with a saw, using a hammer/rod to cut breaks it into pieces
c. Electrical/Plumbing grooving doesn't make come right
d. Costs 2 times or more than that of branded concrete blocks
e. Because of its smooth surface, plaster doesn't stick well . though some vendors give a wavy pattern, isn't effective
f. Walls aren't very strong, makes us feel that anyone can break into the building easily, especially on ground and first floor

Return to “Civil Construction”