Hunsur Teak wood

premkumarnts

Re: Hunsur Teak wood logs Available for Contruction purpose

Post by premkumarnts »

From the photos of the logs, I have a query for the max dia of the logs measured in the middle of each log.

The max CIRCUMFERENCE looks like 3 feet (not the dia) & the actual dia will be in turn 0.955 Feet (calculation formula used for circumference = 2πr, means for 3 feet circumference logs radius will be 0.4777 feet (r=3feet\2π) & dia will be 0.955 feet (2r).

In case if the dia of the log is 3 feet, then the actual circumference will be 9.42 feet (2π×{3\2}) The photos doesn't correlate to this.

Please clarify.

Thanks
Prem
lingeshpes

Post by lingeshpes »

Hi prem,

please visit the place in person for clarity if you are not satisfied with images.

Thanks,
Lingesh
buildmyhome

Post by buildmyhome »

Hi,

Please PM the address details.
premkumarnts

Post by premkumarnts »

Thanks Lingesh for providing the details. After checking the logs in person, I am very sure that the circumference was 3 feet & not the max dia.

Please note that, we get Country Teak wood cut bars (which includes saw mill cutting charges & margin for the sawmill) at very cheaper prices

I have calculated the approximate Cubic Feet (Volume) considering the logs as Perfect Tapered Cylinder (formula given below). This will be the ideal calculation & in reality the useful Cubic feet will be further less.

Formula for the volume of a Tapered cylinder = (1/3)*pi*(R1^2+R1*R2+R2^2)*H

R1: Radius @ Tree root
R2: Radius @ Tree top (R2 = R1/2)
H: Height of the tree

In Reality, useful cubic feet per log will be further less due to the following
1. This calculation considers the total volume of Cylinder. In Reality, all 4 sides of wood need to be cut to make it Flat which contribute again to certain wastage of Cubic Feet of wood.
2. Trees will not be of perfect Tapered Cylinder. There will be bends & elongations which contribute to certain wastage of Cubic Feet of wood.
3. Not all trees are of same length & same dia. Some Tress circumference is less than 3 feet in root itself which will contribute to less Cubic Feet.
4. Importantly the trees are lying exposed to sun light & rains for 2.7 Years. Due to this the outer layer of wood will be of not much strength & needs to be cut off. This will again contribute to less Cubic Feet of Wood.

The expected prices for the logs themselves are exhorbitantly high & additionally there are saw mill cutting charges, transport charges. If the prices are reasonable & also beneficial for us after including the saw mill cutting charges, transport charges compared to the prices elsewhere, i am willing to buy.

Thanks in Advance
Prem
Last edited by premkumarnts on November 20th, 2014, 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lingeshpes

Post by lingeshpes »

Hi Prem,

You visited in person i agree. Since you wanted the wood in low price just dont tell that its not upto the mark, you dint even measure the tree Aren't you ? You are just keep on Sending Calculated Formulas to my emails ids and to my mobile with your own imaginary values. If you really wanted to measure the trees why dint you measure that time when you visited? Just to get something in low price you cannot say as your wish. I request in you please stop sending messages to my mobile and Inbox its really irritating :twisted: .In your Home town in TamilNadu it may be cheaper or dont know what kind of Teak it is or getting some other wood in the name of Teak. In Teak there are multiple types based on their origin. Hunsur Teak of karnataka has its own value from decades. If you are interested in your Home town or cheap wood please go head.

Thanks
Lingesh kumar
premkumarnts

Post by premkumarnts »

Hello Lingesh

All I clarified that the log dia is not as you claimed as 3 feet dia. One can clearly make out the difference visibly for a 3 feet dia wood & 1 feet dia wood. Is it not? No need to measure for this.

Its is the standard mathematical formula for calculating the volume. The expected cubic feet per log doesnt correlate to the standard cubic feet calculation.

Thanks in Advance
Prem
lingeshpes

Post by lingeshpes »

Prem,

We are not going to provide you. Please check somewhere else.
premkumarnts

Post by premkumarnts »

Hello Lingesh

Thanks. Neither I expressed interest. I refused straight away based on the expensive prices. Visited since you expressed interest to offer on reasonable prices & suggested to visit. Cannot afford as the prices are just unreasonable.

Please note that the brokers buy the logs from farmers at less than half price of the market rates considering their huge margins, transport costs, cutting charges etc. In our case, there are no brokers, its just directly between the owner & the customer. We have not expected or asked for profit or any margin. We just expected the prices to be reasonable just to account for transport & cutting charges.

Thanks
Prem
buildmyhome

Post by buildmyhome »

I was interested in Hunsur Teak for my 1st Floor and visited in person with my carpenter. In teak there are lots of Types like costarica,Nigeria, South Africa etc which are of foreign origin which is available for a low price . I felt Happy since i was searching particularly for seasoned wood. Preferred Basically Because Hunsur Teak is very well known for its grains and oil contents which resists water content so that wood will not consume water at some period of time.Oil content is one of the characteristics which adds value to this. Nowadays finding a experienced carpenter is difficult since many daily wages construction contracts pretend to be carpenter,i got a good one from my friend reference who is well experienced (Govindaraju 9731111485) in wood works. will post Back once i procure this wood.
Last edited by buildmyhome on November 27th, 2014, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
premkumarnts

Post by premkumarnts »

For the African Teak, info as per wiki is "Iroko is a large hardwood tree from the west coast of tropical Africa. It is one of the woods sometimes referred to as African Teak, although it is unrelated to the teak family:. For more details http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroko

Return to “Civil Construction”