Acid wash and its side effects

anirusan

Acid wash and its side effects

Post by anirusan »

Hi

Many of us get the our bathroom tiles and tiles in other places cleaned in the final stages of construction.
Please make note that though the tiles get cleaned the acid "fumes" cause damage to stainless steel rods, taps or hinges.

Take precautionary care to cover all your stainless steel parts during a acid wash. I had a bad experience where in my glass balcony SS rods(almost 10 feet away from the tiles that were cleaned) reacted the fumes and showed rust like marks! These can be repolished to look new but they look ugly and need to be cleaned immediately.

Regards
AA
harishmk

Re: Acid wash and its side effects

Post by harishmk »

Hello AA,
You are right, my Jaguar fittings looks ugly. Is it possible to get polished? if you have any contact details, pl. share.
Thanks,
harish
anirusan

Post by anirusan »

Hi Harish

I do not have any contact info but guess there are solutions or powders available to wipe off these stains.
I had a SS railing for my glass balcony which got stained due to these fumes and I contacted the guy who installed it. He came and repolished it and it looks as good as new now. Not sure if same can be done for taps and other smaller SS fittings!

Rgds
AA
tech4pk

Post by tech4pk »

never get the acid wash. it spoils everything.
i use Sabina dishwash powder to clean my jaquar fittings, once in a month.
harishmk

Post by harishmk »

that's right! But acid used for cleaning the tiles had spoiled the fittings and I want to get it polished.
vinit

Post by vinit »

We used to get the tiles acid washed earlier but I realized two things:
1) It makes a mess of our SS and other fittings
2) Acid wash itself does not have a long life. Very soon, the tiles fade away from the washed look. Mine lasted 2-3 months only before they started looking like old (before acid wash).

For both these reasons, I've stopped acid wash.

Return to “Civil Construction”