Sudan Teak for Door Frames

rrprakash

Re: Sudan Teak for Door Frames

Post by rrprakash »

Thanks a lot for clarifications.

Really appreciate your detailed response.

Regards
shan3377

Post by shan3377 »

Thanks for the detailed replay very useful for those who are building house for first time.
riturajmnit

Post by riturajmnit »

Hi folks,

Sorry for reinvoking this thread. I have been to Madhurgiri this weekend and met one Carpenter, he can do wooden frame + door for 9000/- (800 per CFT) and local teak (1800 per CFT).
I have the sample with me, how to test or get it tested if its worth going ?
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

800 cft for which wood ?
Yes if you like , you can get your sample tested , check http://iwst.icfre.gov.in/serconsultancy.html .

More than quality, legality of wood source is of a issue, unless seller commits to transport the goods to your premises or furnishes TP\Form27 & Tax bill , do not go for transporting wood yourself. Form 27 \TP is mandatory for transfer of wood and timber be it for commercial or bonafide use and irrespective of the quantity, tax bill is just insufficient between checkposts, at forest dept checkpost your wood or wood products if caught, are to be seized even though you have a tax bill but no TP.

Local wood or teak is available cheap country side , and that too near a forest reserve like madhugiri, thats because 99% of what carpenters possess is illegal. The rules dictate , one cannot fell a tree and sell a tree that is grown in his own agricultural land without permission from forest department and that too only for self use, farmer cannot sell wood directly to anyone , if he has to sell then only to forest dept , who will later auction.
Any thing grown on roads country side, belong to village panchayat again only to be auctioned to villagers and village purposes,timber cannot be taken outside village limits,other than sawing purposes (which has separate documentation). No saw mill can cut logs without adequate documentation from forest dept.

This being the case\red tape, The villagers are desperate to sell trees off their lands, to any illegal trader or carpenter,whole tree for meager 10 to 20 k ,be it teak or anything,that can yield the illegal trader a good 20 - 30 cft of wood, which is illegally cut \smuggled,often disguised as firewood.
riturajmnit

Post by riturajmnit »

Thank you Nivas, thats a better insight into nitty gritty of this.
I will get the info of source and delivery committ.

Though unable to access link for testing, any other reliable testers around blr ?
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

as per my knowledge , no one other than the wood institute is doing these tests . species identification and mech tests are typically ordered and doesn't come cheap.You can attach end grain (smaller rectangles ) & face grain ( largest rectangle on your sample) image and a angle shot of the sample face . hopefully these images are enough at identifying the species . Color, grain, lustre , texture ,smell are the cues.
about the mechanical tests ,some you can DIY, drive a nail a inch and see how much force you need to apply to take of the nail , does the wood fracture or splinter . if you can weigh the sample and calculate its density , it may give you an idea about moisture content. heavier wood is green wood . teak around 600-700 kg/m3 is seasoned. lighter the wood better the quality. teak is slightly lustrous due to oil . look for sap wood aka white, young teak comes with fair amount of sap wood.
ShashiDeshpande

Post by ShashiDeshpande »

My advice to friends is
1. If you want wood...Go to Timber yard layout in Mysore Road
2. If you want Granite......Go to reputed granite merchant and avoid anyone (small traders) on Jigani, Bannergatta Road. What you select will not come to you. They will not give slabs from single block. Always do not give 100% advance. Negotiate for 50% advance and 50% after checking by your tile mastry. Do not take your tile mastry or ask to source the material. Do not allow him to be there during delivery or do not tell who is your mastry and vice versa.
3. If you want floor tiles....There are many wholesale agents (But not reputed brands like Kajaria, Nitco etc) who are on Bannergatta Road, Hosur Road

Return to “Civil Construction”