Internal Stair case

rjblr

Re: Internal Stair case

Post by rjblr »

Thank you Visualizer.
Agree on your assessment of output of professionals in this field.
That was the reason I have decided to stick to regular RCC stairs and exploring if I can put wood cladding on top of it.
ganpath_blr

Post by ganpath_blr »

I am also in the process of finalising the staircase, my architect has given choices between concrete and metal. I am planning to go for folded plate concrete model as it seems to be more commonly used these days and it looks good as well. Width of the staircase will be 3 feet and 3 inch. Tread 11inch and height 7inch. It looks like I have to get the height reduced to 6 inches as per the recommendation provided here.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

If reducing to 6 increase tread to 12.
There is some science behind r+R= 18 and r+2R = 24 rules.
shree

Post by shree »

Initially, I designed my staircase based on this 2r+R and r+R 6-12, but later due to space constraints I decided to go for 6" rise and 11" tread, though architect suggested 6" rise, 10" tread.
But, when structural design came out, he had placed 9" beam connecting 2 pillars reducing space available for the stairs. Now I dont want to go for 7-11 just to please the formula.
Instead i looked at angle for 6-10, which is coming to 31 degrees which seems to be reasonable, considering 6-12 gives 26.56., 6-11 gives 28.6.

But, concern is 6-10 gives 16 for r+R,24 for 2r+R which is bit far from ideal values. But, architect is happy since it meets his suggestions.
I haven't use steps at any place where they are using 6-10. Any help from forum members if they are using 6-10 size and if it is comfortable?
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Shree,
For internal stairs 6"R-10"T will give you 30° which is ideally good on practical basis. We have been using the same for many years now and it's been no complaint from users.
6"R-12"T will give you about 26.5° which is more leisure way to climb up and more comfortable for people above 60+ age group. This is used in public buildings as the users are from different segment & age groups, also considering differently abled people. In general public building floor heights are above 12' - 13' unlike residential is 10 - 11' .

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.instagram.com/ardesarchitects
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

You need to see what is size of your shoes ?
I have 6"×10" from basement to GF foyer and they are not comfortable at all if you wear size 10 or bigger. 7x11 is comparatively better.

I see a repeat of my pet peeve in your story i clearly asked for 6x12 ever where and wanted stairs to be uniform throughout but Architect was hell bent on his favorite ideas put a spanner by wrongly placed beams and 2 feet short in cut on roof so I have now all 3 sizes
6x10 , 6x12 and 7x11
6 x 12 is best , 6x 10 is most irritating and 7x11 in intermediate.

As of now I have told him I will stop payment of last 5% of his pending fees for destroying most frequently used place in house for which I was very particular and he argued for days.
There was no space crunch at all but. Just that i forgot to check the total run for last.flight of stairs. Arch showed in drawing 6x12 and when the stringer of steel stair was coming too long we realized there is inconsitency in structural slab drawing and staircase design drawing.
shree

Post by shree »

Thanks a lot Praveen and Visualizer. Feeling like I should have chosen Praveen as architect and Visualizer for site visit(assuming he is willing to switch his current job :) )

Return to “Civil Construction”