Preliminary Estimate

Saravanakumar

Preliminary Estimate

Post by Saravanakumar »

Hello All,

Greetings. I am about to start construction at 30X40 site in Bangalore. I have received Preliminary Estimate from an Architect.

I am planning to construct as below

-- Stilt flr with 1BHK & use rest of the area for Parking
-- 1st flr 2 BHK
-- 2nd and 3rd flr Duplex with 3 BHK

There are few factors which seems unclear and it costs lion's share in the budget. I wanted to know what would be the reasonable for win-win env.

-- Electrical & Sanitary cost quoted as 15% on total cost - Is this ok with market standard products?
-- Architect charge 4% - I see architects charge from 2-4% so not sure what is really the number I can negotiate here.
-- What would be the builder profit/charges, this is mystery part not clearly mentioned anywhere, does it included in each item itself or Architect will share his number with builder?

Architect arranging Builder (looks like known to each other) to carry out the construction work. Architect also plays the role of Structural Engineer in my case and the respective drawings are prepared by same person. Additionally architect also will make visit to site during the course of construction to ensure what is being committed done properly. However there's not much clarity about builder charge/profit though except in few places "additional 10% for overheads and builder profit"

Note:

Approval, Borewell, Temporary Electrical Connection, Temporary Shed was not included on this estimate. Architect told it is house owners responsibility so I took it on my shoulder and done it.

Can someone enlighten me whether the quote is "reasonably" good/bad/ok etc., and what is missing in the quote and what is excess or far below the value.

Here are the major ingredients recommended:

Cement - Birla Super 53K
Steel - Meenakshi
SCB - Dicon 6" & 4" ( I decided to stick to SCB for now since the quality of Brick is uncertain regardless of cost)

Appreciate your feedback, thoughts, suggestions & inputs. Have a nice day.

Thanks

-SK
Attachments
Preliminary Estimate.xlsx
(27.64 KiB) Downloaded 702 times
biddappa_c_b

Re: Preliminary Estimate

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Hi,

I too am planning to construct a house but it will be stilt+ groun+ first(duplex) or just ground and first(duplex).

Could you please let me know more details if your case has any progress?

thanks
arjun.surendra04

Post by arjun.surendra04 »

https://sites.google.com/site/arjunwebworld/Home/blogs/constructing-a-house-in-bangalore

Hope this helps in your quest.
sk1976

Post by sk1976 »

Saravanakumar,
The estimates are on higher side. Architect fees vary from 3-8%. Hence I don't see that as an issue. But the item-wise rates are 15-20% more than the prevailing rates(especially RCC, platering rates). Apart from the over priced quotation, most of the items say they will be on actuals which may be charged extra. So be careful and do your due diligence before awarding the contract. Also do a reference check of the contractor.

My house construction also is based on item rates and it is nearing completion . If you are interested, I can refer my contractor as he has done very good job and I find him to be a reliable guy.

PM me if you want his contact details.

Regards,
Selva
maheshv

Post by maheshv »

If you are getting a very good architect how would work to get his name established, then nothing like it, you will be in good hands.
If not, then please go through rest of my post :)

-- Electrical & Sanitary cost quoted as 15% on total cost - Is this ok with market standard products?
This is how contractors calculate for item rate contract + keep in mind this will not include fixture like fan or wash basin. This will become huge burden for you. Go for private labor contract with electrical and plumbing guys.
Electric labor cost 13 to 15k per floor for 30x40 site. Plumbing is 5k for each toilet and 3k for kitchen

-- Architect charge 4% - I see architects charge from 2-4% so not sure what is really the number I can negotiate here.
Ask yourself why would somebody ask for % based fee when their work is fixed. You will realize as the work progresses your cost will go out of control, at that point paying %age fee will become expensive for you.

-- What would be the builder profit/charges, this is mystery part not clearly mentioned anywhere, does it included in each item itself or Architect will share his number with builder?
Builder/contractor will not take up any project unless they have minimum of 20 to 25% profit. They also get commission from dealers (cement, steel, brick etc.,), to keep dealer happy, contactor will get engineer to put in more material (like steel) than actually what is required in the specification. Contractor also maintains architect/engineer by paying them % cut so that those ppl continue to give them customer reference and business in future. I don't see anything wrong with this, this is how all business works, it is up to you to decide on how and where you want to spend your money and what value you get out of it.

Usually architect and engineers are very busy and also prefer to work in their office, you will have to do multiple follow-ups to come to your site

Approval, Borewell, Temporary Electrical Connection -> agree, this will be your cost. however monthly electrical bill will have to be paid by contractor as he will be using water motor etc., for construction work for which you have already paid him

Temporary Shed -> this has to be from contractor, as he will store his materials there

Rates mentioned is quite high. If you can get good mastri you can get the job done directly for 40 to 50% less cost.
maheshvivid2003

Post by maheshvivid2003 »

it is very costly for this specification that he has mentioned ....for this specification max cost will be 1.4 to 1.5 lac per square (chadra) for 30*40 max built area will be 40 square
and he can also manage to put granite flooring and he can still see 20% profit ...its too high

for 77lac u can manage to put italian marble that is 250 to 300 per sqft and buy teak wood log for complete house n ss railings n branded electrical fittings and sanitaryware also includes wardrobe and modular kitchen .

my house is still in construction 30*40 site max built up area is 42 squares and my max budget is 45 lac same specification but granite flooring and now need to stretch another 4 to 5 lacs for wardrobe and kitchen work

i think instead of giving full building contract u can go for labour contract and supply materials by urself ...atleast we get some kind satisfaction that we have used good materials ...its very tough to find good labour contractor who has good workers and finishes job on time

Return to “Civil Construction”