Wall over wall versus beam

vpbs_bak

Wall over wall versus beam

Post by vpbs_bak »

Basic question:

Is constructing "wall over wall" a mandatory thing ? I understand the other option is to ahve beam running along GF roof to support the FF wall. Any comments/references ? I searched this website but didn't find any matching entries....

Thanks.
jult

Re: Wall over wall versus beam

Post by jult »

it will be ecnomy in construction
godisgood

Post by godisgood »

Does it apply to external walls only or even for walls other than the external structure?
jult

Post by jult »

Mostly for external . But if internal is symmetrical load transferring and structurally it will be sound structure comparing unsymmetrical load transfer. Totally you can achive economical structure. Like load bearing structures.
MNRS

Post by MNRS »

Per my understanding here are two types of constructions.

1) Wall Over Wall - aka Load bearing walls construction. Here there are pretty less columns and the load will be on the walls. So you need to construct the wall over wall as the bottom wall only will bear the load. In some cases, at some particular places where the top walls are not coming on the bottom wall, then a separate beam will be provided to take the load.

2) Columnar or RCC construction: Here the load will be on the columns and beams. You need not to worry about constructing the wall over wall.

Usually RCC or columnar constructions costs more than the load bearing walls constructions, and for houses upto 2 stories people use the load bearing walls as it is cheaper. Also, if you are looking for wider rooms, then you should go for the RCC construction as the load bearing walls have some limitations over the size of the room etc.
siteinsmv

Post by siteinsmv »

What should be the thickness of the external wall of ground floor house in these 2 cases ?

1] For Wall over wall construction, the external wall should be 1 feet thick (After Plastering).
2] Columnar or RCC construction, the wall can be 9 inches thick (After Plastering).

This is based on few house plans which I have seen, Is this correct ?

Return to “Civil Construction”