Lightining Arrester/Surge Arrester

sudhu_kumar

Lightining Arrester/Surge Arrester

Post by sudhu_kumar »

Hi All,

I am planning to install lightning arrester to my house.Please suggest any good dealers /companies.

Many thanks,
Sudeendra
ardesarchitects

Re: Lightining Arrester/Surge Arrester

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Sudeendra
Whats the ht of your home,lighting arrester is required only for high rise building or if your building surrounding are completely vacant for a radius of 2 km approx ( any trees/poles/towers/buildings higher than your home).You can get the arrester fabricated.In general no one sells except few electrical vendors in sp road.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
sudhu_kumar

Post by sudhu_kumar »

Hi Praveen,

Thank you very much.Yes in my area it is a high rise building.Approximately 50 feet and behind my building it is almost vacant area.

Thanks,
Sudeendra
maheshv

Post by maheshv »

Hi

Has anybody installed this? I am researching on this and trying to find out who will install it and from where to procure

My research on internet has lead me to understand
There are two types of surge protector that you can installed for the whole house
1) protector for directly lighting strike - Residential house do not need to bother to much about it. Also Praveen has covered on in what situation you will have to install for residential houses
2) Protector for the power line - If lighting hit Hight Tension wires or local electric poles, high voltage will come to houses and will kill all electrical appliances. similar there could be sudden high voltage coming to home due to other reasons (like KEB one, discussed above). Also you can install protector to TV cable wire (tatasky also?) and telephone wires

Residential Hardwire Surge Suppression - Whole-house surge protection for your entire home.
http://www.schneider-electric.com/produ ... ppression/
Lightning & Switching Surge Protection System - Class B+C / Type 3 Surge Arrester
http://www.surgeprotection.co.in/lightn ... surge.html
http://www.surgeprotection.co.in/data-t ... surge.html
Data and Telecom Surge Protection Devices - Class D Surge Arrester
From <http://www.surgeprotection.co.in/data-t ... surge.html>
BNC Connector
BDL RJ 45 Surge Protection Devices
maheshv

Post by maheshv »

bumping this thread
Mukund

Post by Mukund »

Dear All

Since I am an electrical engineer and working on this field of Earthing and Lightning, opportunity to contribute has been very rare for me since I believe in dissipating knowledge only if you know the subject,

the query here gives me one and I am thankful for that so that I feel to have done my bit wherever possible in building this into a good platform for knowledge sharing

coming to the point, agree with respected Architect Mr Praveen

Surge Protection is integral part of Earthing and Lightning Protection..

this is required based on the Risk assessment model, Normally for residential building of the type under discussion,
It is of no use to install Surge Protection unless it is completely protected by Lightning.

Lightning Protection involves installating Air terminals at points which are likely to be struck by Lightning.
Conducting this Air terminals through Downconductor which is Bare Copper Tape / PVC covered Copper tape and further Grounding is necessary to complete the system.

Coupled with this Lightning Protection system and installation of Surge protection will ensure comprehensive Protection.

Type of Surge Protection is a complex subject to understand and would suffice to say " Use Available products at the main incomer cables before breakers/Isolators/ELCB's are installed is necessary.

Further if your building is higher than the surrounding buildings in your area does providing Lighting Protection system makes sense.

If further details are necessary please let me know and will share more detailed information to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks with regards

Mukund
maheshv

Post by maheshv »

Thanks Mukand. One quick question regarding surge arrester, who undertakes this work, electrician?. Looks like not many have idea about this, my electrician mentioned he does not know about this or how to install.
Mukund

Post by Mukund »

Normally all electrical Contractors should have the basic idea of method of installing the Lightning Protection system.

You may check with some of the reputed Class 1 electrical contractors near your area in case you are particular to install the system.

If you feel they are not aware of the methodolgy, perhaps I can help to give the guidelines to installation proceedure,

It is simple and not complicated as it is made out to be.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

CC : To Admin: I find my posting has not come in the weekly forum which is circulated to all members of the group, intention is to spread the knowledge and
necessity and make the members aware of the requirements.

Please check why this did not appear.

Mukund
namburi

Post by namburi »

Hi Mukund
Weekly digest is automatically generated.Probably you posted the next day of weekly digest generated.Please check for next weekly digest.There is nothing admins moderate intentionally in this case.
We would always like to spread the knowledge to max.

Regards
ADMIN

Return to “Civil Construction”