difference between 43 grade and 53 grade cement

Iyyappan

difference between 43 grade and 53 grade cement

Post by Iyyappan »

Anyone please explain the actual usage and difference between 43 grade and 53 grade cement.
jackalbda

Re: difference between 43 grade and 53 grade cement

Post by jackalbda »

one of my friend had told me that one is used for plastering (finer one ) and the other is used for RCC / Roofing and all other purpose. I might be wrong, but at least thats what was told to me.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,Iyyappan
Grades in cement will indicate the setting time to attain their actual strength.Higher the grade lesser the setting time and more the curing required.
Since slabs are thick and can be cured by storing water right above it 53 grade is used.Plastering are not more than 1" thk and need to settle down slowly and avoid crack.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
Vimal

Post by Vimal »

Praveen,

I did not understand the last line of your response. Do you mean to say plastering requires 43 grade cement as it needs longer settling time ?

Thanks
Vimal
vikrantgouda

Post by vikrantgouda »

43 & 53 Grade refers to 43 Mpa & 53 Mpa ( Strength ) of the cements after 23 days of curing.

Regards,
Vikrant
maheshv

Post by maheshv »

Hi,

this is what i understood when my father was contruction house many years back. Infomring is per my understanding,
53 grade cement when used will set quickly and get full strength within hours (i dont know the exact time) and hence it is used between bricks (walls) and ceiling. 43 is slow to set, hence it is used in plastring so that the worker get enough time to applying it evenly. 43 grade takes around 1 - 2 day to get its full strength.
hope this helps.
Iyyappan

Post by Iyyappan »

Thanks all for your replies.

So 43 grade is used only for plastering work? For all other works, should we use 53 grade?
could someone please clarify this?
ghayathri

Post by ghayathri »

hi,
yes 43 grade is used for plastering and 53 grade is used for concreting works.
ashrafgmail

Post by ashrafgmail »

@Iyyappan

Means you use 43 grade for plastering as comparatively 43 grade is less price, Except RCC and Sump rest anything u can use 43 grade, even sometime u can use 43 for sump but overhead tank use 53 grade, for durability and dampness,
vhari

Post by vhari »

Guys, I have gone through the entire pains of using 53/43 OPC, PPC grade cement and learnt the hard way, just completed roofing of my entire G+3 residence.

The difference is mainly in the strength in N/mm2(mpa) that is achieved after 28 days i.e. 43 mpa and 53 mpa. Its not a big deal for residences so opt for any based on your cost/risk/weather needs.

1. Use 53 grade cement only when you see that weather is rainy or where you absolutely need quick setting. Note that curing is very important with 53 grade. If your contractor doesn't cure properly its a problem. Also try to use trowelling as they lay concrete after 1 hour. Use Fosroc 421IC waterproof compound 125 ml for each bag and try to go for M20 mix (1:1.5:2) and you will achieve atleast in the range of M15-M20.
2. If you have RMC as option, use trowel after they lay with sprinkling water ie. after an hour just to ensure there are no shrinkage cracks.
3. 43 grade works both for RCC and plastering. Infact, donot use any cement outside of 43 grade for plastering. It will help in reduction of cracks. Again use waterproof compound on the south/west side of walls since rains in bangalore are heavy on these sides. If weather is sunny then this is absolutely a norisk cement provided mix is maintained.
4. Avoid OPC. I almost had to reslab due to usage of OPC, doesnt matter Birla or any brand. Avoid OPC unless you want to do plastering work or some PCC work. I know market today is flooded with this but try to avoid this.

Finally, any cement the correct usage of water is important. Concrete gangs add 40-50 lit of water per load and sometimes this increase permeability of concrete so try to keep water to optimal levels such that its slurry in nature and not too liquid where it flows through when you pour it. Use vibrators for beams and columns but not too much that the slurry oozes out...

I am sure many may disagree on above but its my findings and learnings. Hope this helps.

Return to “Civil Construction”