heat radiating from roof top

ardesarchitects

heat radiating from roof top

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi every one
To avoid heat radiating from roof top

Here are some innovative and traditional solutions
1.Buy matkas (mud pots or mud plates )in wholesale, spread them over you flat area, you can see a tremendous temp difference of 4-8 degree .This is the very traditional way used in rajasthan.may not work if you get hailstorms
2.put cardboard boxes on the roof like empty mineral water boxes, will not work when it rains,but then you can stack them once the summer season is over.
3.Applying lime paste will last for 1-2 years.
4. Apply heat reflected paint (there is a special paint like surya cool cem) done on the roof, it will last you for only one or max 2 seasons.

regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@yahoo.co.in
asky47

Re: heat radiating from roof top

Post by asky47 »

There is a method used by some people in Kerala to keep heat away. On the roof top, before the final plastering, spread out half coconut shells and on tope of that do the final plastering. This ensurs that there is a pemanent air gap available above the roof top and that reduces the heat in room below

cheers
dowlu

Post by dowlu »

One option to cool the roof top is to install a mechnaical fan which runs when hot air blows through it. Its widely used in the US in the 'hot' states like Texas. Its used in industries in India, but recently being also sold for residential purposes.
site.sale

Post by site.sale »

Another way for this - is to do a roof top garden.

this not only reduces the heat and balance temperature, but is an effective way to use rain water, beautify the house, get some vegetables / fruits /flowers in the process, and help reduce CO2 in the atmosphere.

even if you cannot make a full fledged garden, you can put planters with various plants.

University of Agricultural sciences and some organisations provide a lot of information on this and even have tranining sessions.
blrguy

Post by blrguy »

Thats a nice idea @sitesale.
I would suggestthat we put up a temprorary structure / shelter on top with PVC or clay tile roofing (Depending on cost & ashtethics). But this along with a roof garden is a kewl idea. I think I will try to go ahead & implement this :)
site.sale

Post by site.sale »

blrguy

yes, it is a good idea. I liked it when I saw the article in Hindu and I will definitely consider this option. I had got some info from a Mr. B.N. Viswanath (of University of Agricultural Sciences) who is a very big proponent of greening Bengaluru through this approach (since all the land is being taken up for construction). here are some of his points

1. If the house is constructed as per specifications, the roof should be able to take on plants in the complete area.
2. if you want to do the planting all in one shot, it will cost about rs. 20-25K, but the better approach will be to do it in stages.
3. Effort wise,not much required - except planting and taking care of plants.
4. you will have to get the terrace waterproofed to ensure no leakage to the inside (it is done with white epoxy paint )

Hope this information helps you set it up.
parkom

Post by parkom »

Green roofs are the way to go. Even buildings which undergo LEED certification as a standard use Green roofs to reduce the heat seeping through the roof. I have a nice article on this subject but couldnot upload it as this site doesnot support pdf uploads.
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on....
site.sale

Post by site.sale »

Parkom,

can you please send me the article to site.sale@hotmail.com

thank you.
krish

Post by krish »

parkom wrote:Green roofs are the way to go. Even buildings which undergo LEED certification as a standard use Green roofs to reduce the heat seeping through the roof. I have a nice article on this subject but couldnot upload it as this site doesnot support pdf uploads.
Hi Parkom,

Thanks for pointing out about the pdf uploads issues. I've now resolved it. Any user can upload upto 256KB file.

The sample attachment is just for reference. Its a googled sample pdf.

Apologies for not responding to your post on May 21, 2009 about the same issue. (http://mybdasites.com/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... t=pdf#p157)

Thnx,
Krish.
Attachments
backyardbiology.pdf
Sample PDF
(116.01 KiB) Downloaded 605 times
parkom

Post by parkom »

sitesale, I just emailed you the article.

Krish, thanks for your prompt response. However the article being 550k in size could not be uploaded (as it is with pictures illustrating green roofs).
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on....

Return to “Civil Construction”