Borewell dilemma

girishd

Re: Borewell dilemma

Post by girishd »

@m3_07,

Thanks and there were 2 moments I would cherish for sometime to come:
1. I was talking to the borewell workers and one of them told that they literally live on that truck and go home to meet their families once in 2 months. I felt bad for them and just went out to pick up some pastries and chips from a nearby Bakery. Came back and was distributing the stuff I bought and suddenly a burst of water came out of nowhere. That was an amazing sight for me because this was one of those ventures where you go in with a bit of fear, expectation and you just don't know what will come your way!
2. The sight of amazingly clear water rushing out with tremendous force when the drilling was close to end. It was almost like a fountain.

I wish I had a video camera to capture those at that time.

I had given the borewell guy 40k advance in morning and my wife had gone to bank withdrawn another 1.5L for the worst case. The borewell guy (Mr. Venkatesh) had to return me 2.2k in the end from the advance I had paid and he commented - "Sir, it never happens that we pay back from the advance paid". I told him to keep the remaining amount if he wishes but he said "Bisuness is Bisuness and lets hope we get to do more business together in future". He also happens to know a JCB owner and I told him that once I get to excavation, I will give him a call.
JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers »

Congratulations Girish, Good find and excellent write up. Good things happen to good people!
Since I am constructing a house in KHB Suryanagar (1st Phase), they dont give permissions for drilling borewells and KHB supplies water for the layout. I dont know how long they will last, but I heard there is already some scarcity of water. They dont supply water during construction and I get tankers almost every alternative day.
kpb2308

Post by kpb2308 »

Here goes my story
Day 1: Geologist came in the morning. Surveyed around and on the site using meters and some copper rod. Suggested one point with following details.
a. rock at 65-75
b. 3 sources starting at 410'
c. Drilling upto 750-800 ft to get 2" water
Paid Rs. 2000 (know this is on the higher side. But was arranged by my contractor and was told the geologist is a reliable one. So went with him.)
Then got quote from the contractor's regular borewell company (Anugraha). Quoted
1-250: 68
251 - 350: 78
351 - 450: 88
451 - 550: 98
551 - 650: 113
651 - 750: 128
751 - 850: 148
Steel casing:
2mm - 300/ft
2.5mm - 365/ft
PVC 10" : 300/ft

Checked with Kannan and one more local person. Rates seemed competitive. Confirmed for next morning.
The engineer took them to site and got it prepared (breaking compound, minor cleaning etc). Was told the equipment would be at site at 5:30 next morning. Work would start at 6:30am.

Day 2:
Was at site @ 6:45. No equipment nothing. Expected this. Have been advised to expect a lot more of this while constructing a house. So did a small pooja myself, and prayed for success in the borewell project.
Called my engineer. Was told the trucks were finishing off at another site since they were not allowed to dig in the night. Will be here by 10:30 / 11:00.
Got a call at 10:30 stating the truck has left for my site. Reached there at around 11:30.
Equipment was set at the point in around an hour. Drilling started.
Rock hit @ 40 ft.
He started preparing the steel casing. Had asked for 2.5 mm Caltube. The pipe had Caltube engraved on it.
But I could not make out any difference between the one he was preparing and the 2mm one. Discussed for sometime on that. He said "yeth nodi saar (lift both and see sir)". Lifted them, the weight seemed same to me! Reluctantly agreed (had no other choice).
Was told PVC not required! I first thought he was saying that because he did not have the right size (the ones he had seemed too big in dia). Later realized the use 10" dia, and he genuinely said not required since your soil is hard. Good.
Paid 20K advance.
Once casing was put, they started drilling further. Since geologist had said water will come at around 410 feet, left home for dinner.
10 mins later, my father called saying hit water at around 100 feet. Yield around 1.5". Hurrah. Thank GOD.

We decided let us go till 300 feet and then decide.
300 hit at around 5:00. Called geologist asking for suggestion. He says go upto 500 and then call me. Wondered why, but decided to go with his advice.
Then they shut the machine off saying an engineer was coming for some warranty repair on it. Was off till 9:00. Got tired of waiting. Went home.
He called asking do you want to continue through the night, or stop at 10. I said stop at 10. Continue next morning.
They drilled 400 ft till 10.

Day 3:
Reached site at 7:00. They were almost nearing 500 feet. Said yield is 2", but said no new water source hit. Let us go till 550 and see. Geologist was not reachable. So had to decide on my own.
Decided I will go till 600 max and stop. 550, was told same yield, no more source hit. 600, I felt the water pressure has increased slightly compared to what I saw earlier, but I am no expert. The operator said the pressure has slightly increased and this is good. They also agreed it is good enough now. So stopped at 599 feet.
They started pulling out the drill rods. Counted all 33 of them, plus 5 feet of drill hammer, confirming the depth of 599.
They then cleaned up, welded the cap, covered it with mud.
The main operators and drivers were tamilians, manual labour were from UP. Seemed well behaved. Did not ask for tips (or I did not wait for them to ask) . Paid them some generous tips (really felt for the hard work they do).
Came home happy. I hope to contribute back to the ground by putting a good RWH system in place.
Total cost 65,700 + tips.
girishd

Post by girishd »

Congrats kpb2308. I am sure it would have been a big relief after 3 days of time/effort/money spent!

Now, I am looking into the the next step of figuring out which motor - how many HP/ how many # of stages... and also getting a temporary BESCOM connection.
pradeepecr

Post by pradeepecr »

Hi Girish,

I went with Texmo Aqua 4HP 50 Stages for 900 ft 3 phase.

Few points to note.
1. Try to find 3 phase availablity in your street.
2. Do you require really 3 phase or single phase pump KW ( 3 phase deposit is higher than Single phase, I think for monthly bill be same for 3 phase or Single phase). Check with pump expert.
3. Speak with nearby house people having bore, to know about water availablity during summer. (Which helps to select the pump) Sometimes, if you go for higher suction power motor and if your bore can't yield for the motor capacity it will be problem.
4. Anyway have pipe routed to Sump & OHT with control valve. It will helps during summer time, if your bore or pump losses it efficieny.
5. Try to avoid number of bends at delivery line from bore.

-Pradeep
girishd

Post by girishd »

Thanks for the details Pradeep.

I read in one of the other posts that each stage can pump for about 22ft. That means I probably need 1.5 or 2HP 15 stage pump.

Another question I have is that how to get the yield validated? The borewell guys just told me 3 inch probably based on their experience. Do the pump vendors have a way to test it and advise what pump is needed?

PS: I have gotten PMs from a few folks to provide details of Vinayaka Borewells. Here is the link with phone number. http://www.sreevinayakaborewells.com/Contact_Us.html
Mr. Venkatesh is the one who answers the phone and co-ordinates the site visit/quotes/payments.

I have to mention that I am in no way connected to Vinayaka Borewell guys and happy being an Engineer :)
maheshvivid2003

Post by maheshvivid2003 »

@ girishd

my borwell depth is also 300feet and the motor is installed at 270feet
1.5hp 15stage single phase texmo is more than enough max it can pump up to 400 feet
sahu.mgse

Post by sahu.mgse »

kpb2308 wrote:Here goes my story
Day 1: Geologist came in the morning. Surveyed around and on the site using meters and some copper rod. Suggested one point with following details.
a. rock at 65-75
b. 3 sources starting at 410'
c. Drilling upto 750-800 ft to get 2" water
Paid Rs. 2000 (know this is on the higher side. But was arranged by my contractor and was told the geologist is a reliable one. So went with him.)
Then got quote from the contractor's regular borewell company (Anugraha). Quoted
1-250: 68
251 - 350: 78
351 - 450: 88
451 - 550: 98
551 - 650: 113
651 - 750: 128
751 - 850: 148
Steel casing:
2mm - 300/ft
2.5mm - 365/ft
PVC 10" : 300/ft

Checked with Kannan and one more local person. Rates seemed competitive. Confirmed for next morning.
The engineer took them to site and got it prepared (breaking compound, minor cleaning etc). Was told the equipment would be at site at 5:30 next morning. Work would start at 6:30am.

Day 2:
Was at site @ 6:45. No equipment nothing. Expected this. Have been advised to expect a lot more of this while constructing a house. So did a small pooja myself, and prayed for success in the borewell project.
Called my engineer. Was told the trucks were finishing off at another site since they were not allowed to dig in the night. Will be here by 10:30 / 11:00.
Got a call at 10:30 stating the truck has left for my site. Reached there at around 11:30.
Equipment was set at the point in around an hour. Drilling started.
Rock hit @ 40 ft.
He started preparing the steel casing. Had asked for 2.5 mm Caltube. The pipe had Caltube engraved on it.
But I could not make out any difference between the one he was preparing and the 2mm one. Discussed for sometime on that. He said "yeth nodi saar (lift both and see sir)". Lifted them, the weight seemed same to me! Reluctantly agreed (had no other choice).
Was told PVC not required! I first thought he was saying that because he did not have the right size (the ones he had seemed too big in dia). Later realized the use 10" dia, and he genuinely said not required since your soil is hard. Good.
Paid 20K advance.
Once casing was put, they started drilling further. Since geologist had said water will come at around 410 feet, left home for dinner.
10 mins later, my father called saying hit water at around 100 feet. Yield around 1.5". Hurrah. Thank GOD.

We decided let us go till 300 feet and then decide.
300 hit at around 5:00. Called geologist asking for suggestion. He says go upto 500 and then call me. Wondered why, but decided to go with his advice.
Then they shut the machine off saying an engineer was coming for some warranty repair on it. Was off till 9:00. Got tired of waiting. Went home.
He called asking do you want to continue through the night, or stop at 10. I said stop at 10. Continue next morning.
They drilled 400 ft till 10.

Day 3:
Reached site at 7:00. They were almost nearing 500 feet. Said yield is 2", but said no new water source hit. Let us go till 550 and see. Geologist was not reachable. So had to decide on my own.
Decided I will go till 600 max and stop. 550, was told same yield, no more source hit. 600, I felt the water pressure has increased slightly compared to what I saw earlier, but I am no expert. The operator said the pressure has slightly increased and this is good. They also agreed it is good enough now. So stopped at 599 feet.
They started pulling out the drill rods. Counted all 33 of them, plus 5 feet of drill hammer, confirming the depth of 599.
They then cleaned up, welded the cap, covered it with mud.
The main operators and drivers were tamilians, manual labour were from UP. Seemed well behaved. Did not ask for tips (or I did not wait for them to ask) . Paid them some generous tips (really felt for the hard work they do).
Came home happy. I hope to contribute back to the ground by putting a good RWH system in place.
Total cost 65,700 + tips.
Thanks for sharing info and congrats for first mile stone towards construction. which area this is done.
girishd

Post by girishd »

maheshvivid2003 wrote: my borwell depth is also 300feet and the motor is installed at 270feet
1.5hp 15stage single phase texmo is more than enough max it can pump up to 400 feet
mahesh,

Thanks. That's what I will also go for.
What was the total cost of motor+pipes+installation...? And where did you buy this?
maheshvivid2003

Post by maheshvivid2003 »

1.5hp 15stage single phase texmo
rishi pipe for 270 feet
finolex cable for 290 feet(20ft extra)

total cost is rs31500 inclusive of all tax and with installation

bought it from kavita enterprises sp rd dealer for only texmo products

Return to “Civil Construction”