Building our dream house

RashmiL

Re: Building our dream house

Post by RashmiL »

Foundation cost.

A member of this forum had enquired me about the cost of foundation and advance payment schedules . Hence I have written this post is to clarify on the cost involved in foundation. Foundation for us including paya for plinth and compound cost us around 9 lakhs. Our site is 30x40 site with built area of 1000 sq ft.

But our paya came out bit expensive due to few mistakes we committed. Additionally we had put heavier steel in foundation for both pillars and pillar bed. Out of 12 pillars we had 3 pillars with 10 rods (instead of normal 8) which were 20 mm. Rest all pillars were 16 mm. And we had pillar bed height of 2 feet than 1.5 feet in common practises. And pillar bed sizes varied with bigger ones going for 7x6 and smaller ones being 5x5 which is market standard. Also the steel we put was jsw steel which is expensive compared to others. We also had a water sump of 18 thousand liters.

So anybody who is going to build house material contract, keep the above in mind. A 60x 40 site foundation with premium materials with big water sump (20k liter capacity ) should cost you max 16-18 lakhs.

I would recommend you to do payments to material contractor in 3 parts. 2-3 lakhs per part payment for a 30 x 40 site and 4-5 lakhs for a 60 x 40 site. Definitely not more than that. (Foundation only )

They simply don't require more amount than that.
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

RashmiL wrote:
October 8th, 2021, 3:12 pm
rjblr wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 8:48 pm
RashmiL wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 7:49 pm
We are in fix. If grills are put on to wall , we can't remove mosquito mat . Mestri and family members are against putting grills outside.
framed mosquito mesh with 2.5 channel will make it work. Thout would mean additional expense though.
How can we remove the framed mosquito mesh when grills are put inside ?. We have not researched much here. We are also planning to put openable upvc windows in some places. If grills are inside how do we put mosquito frames. Any inputs are welcome.
you will just need to slide the frame with mosquito mesh. This will be no different than sliding a glass panel of the window.
catchmesachin

Post by catchmesachin »

Anyone used Acasia Wood for window frames and shutters??? been hearing good reviews on it. Getting a good seasoned acasia wood at Rs.1500 per cuft.
Shivaram

Post by Shivaram »

Thanks Rashmi, This thread has been one of the must reads on this forum
Could you elaborate on your architect/building plan experience and Vastu compliance(not sure your preferences), Also Pls DM me the architect contact details and would you recommend his/her services for others.
ramki067

Post by ramki067 »

RashmiL wrote:
September 11th, 2021, 10:54 pm
Total price structure till date. Surprise thing is the cost of the bricks. It will not cost more than 2.5 lakhs even with premium 8 inch cement bricks for 4000 sq ft built area house.
Which is the app you have used?
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

We have used expense manager app developed by Amit Mohan. It's a Android app available in play station. I even paid 300 odd and brought premi version. It's worth the buy. Simple and effective.
ramki067

Post by ramki067 »

Thank you RashmiL really helpful
deepakss83

Post by deepakss83 »

RashmiL wrote:
September 2nd, 2021, 10:12 pm
Also some important points to remember when we give labour contract

1) Unlike Material contract , we don't give advance to labour contractor. Even if given it should not be more than 5k.
2) we could not find labourl contract agreement anywhere. So we went with a written agreement specifying rates and things which are included and excluded.
3) Even in labour contract , it could be man day basis or chadra basis. Always go for chadra basis. If not labourers will simply waste a lot of time and you will end up in loss.
4) Most of the contractors do not agree for earth works.For our site of 30 x 40 dimension,.Earthworks total cost came up to 58k precisely. This after digging pillars up to 5 feet.
5) Centring , Bar bending , Gang men (Slab laying ) , Door and Window fitting are Contractor Responsibility.
6) Water sump if built in RCC has lot of work and cost a lot for Contractor. hence they always tend to push Brick Water sump to save cost. Avoid that trap. In fact avoid contractors who start with words like "I have built many houses etc etc "
7) Few contractors quote less chadra price , but will ask entire plot to be measured for calculation. Never ever agree to it especially if you are building 2 or more floors. The calculation always against you.
8) Parking place, compound wall, paraphet wall chadra price is generally 50%. We gave full price for parking, but included water sump in it. In fact I would always suggest people to go for that formula.
9) Most of engineer drawings comes with sunken slabs which has additional cost for centring. Always talk up-front with contractor and do mention that plan has strictly adhere to engineering drawings. Off course there will be some changes always, however it should be discussed.
10) The classic trap to which people fall is staring house with lower floors and ending up building more floors than planned. And believe me, this percentage is very high. Not only it messes plans but also everything goes for toss.
11) always do enquire on standard rates of centring , bar bending and gang men independently .
12) Bar bending standard rate is 25 rs per sq ft. It includes Lintel, Pillar and Slab work. The sq ft of slab only is calculated atleast in our case.
13) The pillar boxes, Sarve Mara, Saarve haha, water tubes and other equipments are all responsibility of contractor. Pillar box rental generally comes around 110 per pillar for 8 inch.
14) Centring makes or brakes the building. Do talk in beginning on quality of centring. it's not mandatory for us to go with centring and bar bending suggested by mestr if you know good one, go for it. That is clearly possible. Although contractors exagerate prices in front of us, but market rates are different though.
15) Always go with reference for labour contractor , especially the ones who labour contract only.
16) Do talk on things before hand like no of days you will leave curing for slabs. We had mentioned 15 days of curing. The contractors will try to push for 7 and 10 days do not agree for it .
Hello Friends,

We are planning to start construction from next month and in the process of finalising the labour contract. I got quote from 2-3 contractors quoting from 32000/Chadara to 30000/Chadara. This does not include Sump,Compound wall, Parphet wall, Drainage,earth works. I would like to know from you all whether this quotes are reasonable or at very higher side. But looking at above post from Rashmi which say 28k it looks higher side they say this price was old and now the price are increased.
Please provide your feedback also appreciate if you cloud share some reliable/ economical and good labour contractor details. My construction site is near M S Palya (Vidyaranyapura )
deepakss83

Post by deepakss83 »

catchmesachin wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 4:48 pm
location is yelhanka.
Hello Sachin,

My construction site is also near to yelahanka. I would like to know how much is mestri quoted for labour work. I am finalising the labour contract so i would like to know what will be reasonable amount for labour contract for G+1 floor building.

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks
girishshk

Post by girishshk »

catchmesachin wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 6:22 pm
Anyone used Acasia Wood for window frames and shutters??? been hearing good reviews on it. Getting a good seasoned acasia wood at Rs.1500 per cuft.
Acasia Wood, is not recommended for windows facing sun, due to lot of heat there are chances of cracking later. We had grown lots of acasia in native and this suits to interiors wood and furnitures (without the direct penetration of sunlinght)
Windows Frames Only if you get good Neem without any black patches and cracks in Log then this is good.
My personal suggestion - If you are tight on budget go for Neem and then oil-paint (Picking the right seasoned and best lot is difficult)
SAL - is standard and it can also be painted based on the requirement.
Teak - If budget is not a constraint and lot of design and polish to be made for the woods like temples.
Budget -
Neem 500-700 CFT
SAL - 1000-1500 CFT
TEAK - 4000-5000 CFT

Check once in Om Timbers Yeshwanthpur. Take a carpenter with you if you have no idea of seasoning of wood and quality.

Return to “Civil Construction”