Drainage water getting into bathroom during heavy rain.

MariGold

Drainage water getting into bathroom during heavy rain.

Post by MariGold »

Hi All,

Mine is a 30x40 independent house with only ground floor.

The street is not of the level throughout it’s length. The location where the street starts is at a higher altitude and it slopes as it reaches the other end of the street.

My house is located at the lower half of this street and the house build is almost at the same level as the tar road. The house drainage is connected to the main drainage running under the road.

When there is a very heavy shower like the way it rained yesterday (3rd March 2015), drainage water enters our bathrooms thorough the bathroom drain (with all the disgusting dirt). This happens only when there is heavy rain.

The drainage water used to overflow from the chamber (which is located within our house compound). But i built an 1 feet wall around the chamber. That way all the drainage water is contained within the enclosure.
The drainage water resides only when the rain stops completely, leaving behind all the disgusting waste for us to clean.

Would like members to suggest a solution for the same.
rajeshkp

Re: Drainage water getting into bathroom during heavy rain.

Post by rajeshkp »

Bathroom floor has to be raised above the road level. This can be only permanent solution.
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Dear marigold

Always house must be constructed at least 2-3 ft above the ground/road level to avoid these conditions. Many times with either the owners or the
builders limit the basement height to save money. Hence apart from the issue mentioned by you, due to the asphalting of the roads by the authorities
at regular intervals, over a period of years, the house ground level will go below the road level and the situation will be go bad to worse.

I have seen many old houses now in many areas, where the house entrance level is at least 1-2 feet below the road level facing issues similar to you
or entry of the storm water drainage water inside the houses during the rainy season and worse is their daily experience in taking the 2 or 4 wheelers
into and out of the houses now. So many of these people parks their vehicles in the roads always.
MariGold

Post by MariGold »

Hi msn1270,

I think the house owner from whom we bought the house had built the house before the road was tarred. So once the road was tarred, the street and the road became the same level. I think he didnot build the house high enough as suggested by you.

Is there no other alternate solution expect for the one provided by ajeshkp?
jackalbda

Post by jackalbda »

Probably I am wrong here but if you connect your bathroom water drain to sewerage drain, the problem will be solved rt ? Sewerage lines are always at 3-4 ft below the roadlevel and that level is always constant .
MariGold

Post by MariGold »

jackalbda,

The bathroom water drain is indeed connected to the sewerage drain. This is the norm in all house construction.

I think during rain, because the inflow of sewage water(and rain water) is higher and quiet possible because of partial blockage of pipe down the line and due to high pressure of sewage water, this is forcing the water to comeout through other openings. In my case, the water starts to flow in the opposite direction i.e, from main sewage line to our house.

I was thinking of an idea of providing an valve mechanism for the waste water form the house to the main sewerage line (located right after the sewage chamber). In normal cases the valve should remain open letting water flow into the main sewerage line. But in case of rain, I'll close the value thereby preventing the sewage water from entering the house.

This is an idea which I could think of. Would like member's opinion about the feasibility of this idea.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi ,Marigold
I understand its the problem of reverse flow from public drain .Mostly your drain pipe would have been connected at lower level of the chamber .
There are three solutions for this case
1.To raise your internal chamber level with the leverage of gravity flow
2.Like you thought of using a manual shut down valve ,but it needs to be regularly checked as the valve would corrode very soon due to heavy acids in the waste water .
3.Using mechanical pumping from an individual soak pit of your own.This too has maintenance of pump frequently (at lest once in two years )

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects
MariGold

Post by MariGold »

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate the advice.

Regards.
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

When I constructed my house, I looked for non-return-valves such as these http://www.drainstore.com/underground-n ... -c512.html. But they are not available in India. So I went with a PVC gate Value to manually stop the water from coming in. So far I have not had to use it. PVC gate vale is non-corrosive.
MariGold

Post by MariGold »

Hi tvsh,

Thanks for the info.

Return to “Civil Construction”