heat radiating from roof top

krish

Re: heat radiating from roof top

Post by krish »

Hi Parkom,

What about uploading the compressed (using winzip or winrar) file? I know that if there are too many images, then compression will not be effective. But just give it a try.

Thnx,
Krish.
svn

Post by svn »

We can put one layer of clay hollow blocks on roof this will keep your home cool.
smurthy99

Post by smurthy99 »

Dear parkom, sitesale,

Please, may I request you to kindly email me this pdf article on Green Roof to smurthy99@gmail.com

Many thanks,
SMurthy
badri13

Post by badri13 »

Dear parkom, sitesale,

Can you please email me the PDF on Green Roof to badri@phazeshifter.net.

Thanks in Advance.

Badrinath
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Also, Few people paint the roof top with a white paint.
It readuces the internal heat by about 3-5 degrees practically. Also even for the external walls also, heat reducing paints are available nowadays(only in lighter colors).
parkom

Post by parkom »

Hi Murthy, Badri,

Sorry guys, I posted my article about a year back and have gone through a hard disk crash. Unfortunately, the article couldn't survive the crash. Perhaps, sitesale could email you the article, if he has it. You could also try googling for "green roof" and come up with a lot of informative articles as it is a hot topic under US Green Building Council's (USGBC) LEED rating program.
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on....
harishlr

Post by harishlr »

Hi, other way of heat absorption by the roof is to have a plastic net spread over the roof. These nets are available in Tarpaulin shops ( in JC Road) and normally nursery people use it to shade the trees. It is ususally green in color. Advantage is that you can tie it to the poles erected(or to other hooks in a very similar fashion that of mosquito net ) around the roof top when summer season starts. You can take it out after the summer. Costwise it is much cheaper. Rs. 2-3 per sq. ft. It will be last for 5-6 summers easily. It directly reduces the temperature by 4-6 degrees easily.

Adopting roof garden as suggested by others is the best way. You can go for above approach only when you can't have roof garden.
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

I am using hollow blocks similar to http://www.petervaldivia.com/technology ... /block.gif on the inside of the ceiling. Each block costs about 35 Rupees and covers approx 1 sq feet. I am using clay tiles on top of the roof. These cost 18 rupees per sft for the tiles as well as laying (plus the cost of cement and sand). I am still constructing my house and am thinking that these hollow blocks and roof tiles, combined with 11 feet walls would keep the house cool without needing the use of Air conditioning.
vhari

Post by vhari »

Use some good plants which are not intrusive on your roof tops i.e. these are pottable plants which can be submerged around pebbles(which are good reflectors). outside of this, try to get once in 2 years Albedo based paints. Rmber White is the color to keep your house cool :-)
blorebuddy

Post by blorebuddy »

Hi All

Our house which is 20 years old and has a inverted V shape concrete roof ( "/\" ) not a flat one.
At the time of roofing there is no weathering (surukki or weathering done using the broken mud bricks) done. Hence we are facing sever heat inside the house in the afternoon and night.

We tried the heat reflecting paint and it worked for 2 years and now again we are under lot of heat.

I am looking for some what permenant solution than the solutions like paining or having putting the net mat over the roof etc.
I also dont have an option of having plants or putting shells/mud pots over the roof as it is slanting roof with 45%.

Please suggest

Return to “Civil Construction”