Farmers sell off Arkavathy land on the sly

SRINIVAS_IYENGAR

Post by SRINIVAS_IYENGAR »

Aarthi R, TNN, Dec 6, 2010, 04.48am IST

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... z1AUpaTwah

BANGALORE: Arkavathy Layout is jinxed -- despite a Supreme Court order six months ago clearing obstacles in its formation, the BDA has stopped all work and is waiting for government orders.

This layout in limbo has given rise to a fluid situation: huge tracts of land, unwilling sellers and private buyers offering crores. The farmers can't really be blamed: on one hand is the government, offering a measly Rs 12-13 lakh per acre, and on the other, private developers are ready to shell out Rs 5-10 crore for such prime land. And with denotification becoming a routine exercise, farmers are selling land for princely sums.

Unsettled compensation issues are likely to delay layout formation indefinitely. As BDA commissioner Bharat Lal Meena himself admits, "There are some issues with compensation. In some places, we are yet to take possession of land as farmers are unwilling to give it up. The government must decide on the future course of action.''

Meanwhile, dubious land transactions continue. Repeated delays and the BDA's meagre compensation -- fixed in 2004-05 -- is not helping any. Rapid development in these areas, especially after Bengaluru International Airport (BIA) became operational, has pushed up the market value to Rs 5-10 crore per acre in some pockets.

"The compensation is as per law. We will not be able to change it. Some farmers are also demanding 40% developed land, which is the compensation offered for Kempegowda and other new layouts. The government must decide,'' Meena added.

DENOTIFICATION IS NOW ROUTINE

Some farmers have also been selling their lands, already notified, to private developers for bigger compensation, as there are special agents available for easy denotification.

"Yes, it's happening. Why not?'' asks Dr Venkataswamy, who's into both ancestral farming and medicine. According to him, private developers are approaching farmers with offers of Rs 7-10 crore per acre.

On a rough estimate, at least 1,000 acres are still with farmers unwilling to part with their land. They have formed groups to protest at various places, starting with Jakkur and now Thanisandra main road. For many, it's about saving the last bits of ancestral property left of their erstwhile villages. "We will not give up our land. We did not agree to give up our land right from the start. We have our houses here, constructed years before the layout was planned. Where can we go? For the past four years, they have been trying to force us out of our properties,'' says an angry Subramani M, a farmer who owns 11 guntas (1 gunta is 1089 sqft) on Hennur main road. "BDA will give me only Rs 1-2 lakh for it, while builders approached me with an offer of even Rs 3 crore, but I refused as I want this land for myself,'' he said.

This farmer was also among those who gave up land for HRBR and HBR layouts nearby. He gave up 10 acres, and was compensated with just Rs 28,000 per acre then.

HARD TALK

BDA needs to acquire approximately 15,276 acres to fulfil all its site demands at its five new layouts. In addition, it needs land for 65 km of Peripheral Ring Road. However, poor compensation has remained a drawback, leading to delay.

After the Arkavathy experience, farmers are keeping their fingers crossed for land they could lose to Kempegowda Layout. Their expectation is the market value -- Rs 80 lakh-1 crore per acre -- which is under discussion.

Read more: Farmers sell off Arkavathy land on the sly - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... z1AUpudtyf

Return to “Arkavathy Layout”